U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2020, 11:55 AM

33 posts, read 39,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalamanderSmile View Post
We moved back here from Boston metro west 6 years ago. Although we are not of retirement age. The tax burden (property, sales tax, work location income, home location income tax, local sales tax, county sales tax) here is MUCH higher than Boston. There are only a few locales that you would want to buy into that avoid the high property and local income taxes. A thing to investigate is the tax-able-ness of social security and retirement income in where ever you real estate shop. Some localities do not tax that type of income.

As an example, our $600k house in Waltham cost us $4000 a year in property taxes. Where I live now that valuation would come with a bill of $16,000 a year. Where you find the homes to be a bargain compared to Boston, is mostly places where you would not want to live.

The weather is very different with almost no winter to speak of, you can be out of doors 12 months out of the year. People here will say differently, but they think it’s cold when its 38 out. A downside is that while winter is not cold it is very very very gray. You can go weeks with no sunshine in winter which can affect ones mood. In Boston it may be 12 degrees and have 4’ of snow but it is almost always sunny in the winter. The summers can be brutally hot and humid here, but being on the western edge of the eastern time zone is AMAZING because you have more than an hour of extra daylight at the end of your day. The sun sets at 930-10pm in the summer. So much better than winter in Boston where you go to work AND come home from work in complete darkness.

The weather is much more conducive to gardening if you are into that.

We have all of the arts and culture you could ever want, even compared to Boston. The difference being that you can afford to attend and you can park easily when you get there. No planning around traffic and train schedules to go out on the town.

Cincinnati proper is a little ocean of blue in a VERY red state but the suburbs have been mercilessly gerrymandered to show up as voting republican.

There is much more crime and much more property crime here than in Boston. Wealthy suburban enclaves are not immune.
All true. When I look at the annual property tax bill for homes in the Hyde Park area of Cincy for example, it made me realize that what I pay here in the Boston Suburbs in not as bad after all. Also...you are right I would lose my mind if I have to live in a RED state.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2020, 04:56 PM

764 posts, read 594,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donjulio2018 View Post
All true. When I look at the annual property tax bill for homes in the Hyde Park area of Cincy for example, it made me realize that what I pay here in the Boston Suburbs in not as bad after all. Also...you are right I would lose my mind if I have to live in a RED state.

Oh the horror of a RED state. You live in a RED country. Maybe some island might work for you.

Old 03-04-2020, 03:18 PM

64 posts, read 62,514 times
Default it's not so bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by donjulio2018 View Post
Though the state may be red, a good portion of Cincinnati is blue with purple fringes. Thanks to gerrymandering, we have congressional representation that doesn't completely represent the population's political makeup.

I'm pretty blue and I live in what once was a very red neighborhood. In 2008 my spouse was afraid to put an Obama yard sign in place due to neighbor ire, but today putting the 2020 Democratic candidate would not be an issue.

Old 03-10-2020, 02:05 PM

1,996 posts, read 4,340,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincitransplant2 View Post
Though the state may be red, a good portion of Cincinnati is blue with purple fringes. Thanks to gerrymandering, we have congressional representation that doesn't completely represent the population's political makeup.

I'm pretty blue and I live in what once was a very red neighborhood. In 2008 my spouse was afraid to put an Obama yard sign in place due to neighbor ire, but today putting the 2020 Democratic candidate would not be an issue.
Interesting. I know from an NKY standpoint, the fact that Kenton County essentially went purple (it went to Beshear by a thin margin), shows that even the NKY side of the river is changing slightly. Now how much of that is concentrated blue in Covington and inside the beltway vs. further out places like suburban Independence coupled with Bevin being extremely unpopular, I don't know.

I was surprised that Campbell County, even with Northern Kentucky University, went even more blue than Kenton. Usually the three NKY counties are heavily red in state elections, such as how Boone County was won by Bevin by over six thousand votes.

Some of the Beshear situation can likely be attributed to Bevin's popularity being in the toilet and Beshear's family name in Kentucky politics. So I would not be looking for Trump to lose KY in the general election. Even the local congressional House rep won't change unless it is in a primary election. However, the US Senate race for McConnell's seat should be interesting depending on who his challenger will be.

Old 05-19-2020, 03:16 PM

108 posts, read 118,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincitransplant2 View Post

Funny. Gerrymandering happens in EVERY STATE and it just depends on who is in power. Democrats gerrymander just as much if not more so than Republicans so moot point. Up in NY if you put a Trump sign on your front lawn back in 2016 you were lucky if someone didn't throw a brick through your front window that's how wacko the blue leftists are up there.

Old 05-20-2020, 09:39 AM

31,438 posts, read 70,412,771 times
Would Lexington, KY be an option? Not far from Cincinnati and slightly milder winters, too.

Old 05-20-2020, 07:20 PM

376 posts, read 703,524 times
The taxes in OH are way too high, IMO. I had to pay state and city taxes. I came here from TX where there is no state income tax. That sounds nice but they stick it to you on property taxes.

But where I live, if I weren’t getting a property tax abatement (House less than 10 years old), I would be paying state and city income taxes AND my property tax bill would be the same amount as the property taxes in Texas! I’m hoping to sell the house and get back to TX before the tax abatement runs out; otherwise my property taxes are going to jump to $1K/month or more (which is what I paid in TX for property tax).

Old 07-26-2020, 09:45 PM

230 posts, read 769,093 times
I'd go with NKY vs. north of downtown... We always liked living in NKY.. Rolling hills, country roads, close enough for city activities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati