Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2020, 07:02 PM

2 posts, read 2,514 times

Advertisements

My husband is from Cincinnati. I did not grow up here, but I've lived here for 15 yrs. I feel he has a lot of bias or hear-say information about each of the school districts. I'm looking for opinions of people who've recently had kids in the district or are in them now.

Academically, these districts are easy to research, but I'm interested in the social aspects of the schools as well as community. My children are elementary school aged now, but I'd like to settle down to a school district/house.

What I've heard (not my opinion/s)....

Mariemont - Close community but can be exclusive and children are mean to the less advantaged kids in Fairfax/Columbia Twp. Also, not easy to get along with neighbors if you're not in the same income class.
A co-worker mentioned that Admin staff at school implied that her academically challenged child sign-up for doing nails. This co-worker was asian, and I'm not sure if she was over-exaggerating. Either way, she was turned off the district after meeting at the school.

I-Hill - They know they're rich, so they don't have to be showy. More accepting of less advantaged students from Camp Dennison/symmes etc. Teenagers have the luxury of time alone and money to get into trouble.

Milford - Quirky residents often can mean a touch of "Klass". Lots of dis-advantaged kids and district is overwhelmed with the kids that aren't getting parental support. I've also heard that the high-school is awesome, and has a lot of opportunities that blow Turpin out of the water. So, definitely mixed messages here.

Madeira - People want to be as rich as I.Hillers, but aren't, and have a mean girls attitude both at the child age and the adult.

For each of these districts, aside from Milford, we'd have to get in by buying in the townships adjacent to the main district area. If that makes sense.. So, I.Hill, we'd have to buy in Camp Dennison.. Mariemont would be Columbia Twp/fairfax..etc.

Again folks, these are not my opinions. This is just stuff I've heard, or my husband has heard.

Side note.. Columbia Twp, what's included in the taxes? Trash? Recycling? Are there separate income taxes beyond city of Cincinnati taxes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2020, 08:52 AM

2,107 posts, read 5,085,472 times
While I do not have kids, I would say the following based on my personal second hand knowledge of the districts listed.

Based on what I hear in your second hand information from associates of you and your husband, I would take Indian Hill. While it may be difficult to find housing (not sure of your ultimate budget), I have heard similar levels of cohesion among the large amount of wealth in Indian Hill proper versus the more moderate income areas in Camp Dennison and Sycamore Township (Kenwood side). If you can swing the Kenwood portions of IH Schools, I would seriously consider that area. Close to lots of shopping, the I-71 corridor and more integrated areas from a socio-economic perspective. Traffic will be heavier though.

My bigger concern with Mariemont would be the property taxes. Due to the small community and high cost of a high performing district, I have heard property taxes are high. But if you are in Fairfax, I do not know if there is a big drop or not. Columbia Township is not big, so housing will be tight there. Terrace Park is probably the wealthy enclave that makes for the more pronounced disparity in Mariemont's Schools.

Not sure what you mean with "City of Cincinnati taxes" in reference to a Columbia Township residence... Are you speaking of property taxes? Income tax? Or School District income tax? You would best check the township website to see what services may be provided, but townships do not tend to offer trash or recycling collection. You would pay Rumpke or another provider directly for the service.

And finally... Why not Sycamore Schools?

Old 03-19-2020, 12:17 PM

2 posts, read 2,514 times

The housing stock in Montgomery/Blue Ash is not really what we desire. We want a house built in 1890s-1935 with 2400 sq ft or larger, with some updates, under 350k, and maybe lower in areas like Mariemont SD where taxes are insane.

Also, we'd love to be close to the river. We have two canoes and spend all summer at the river bed playing. (Which is why Milford makes the list even though it under-performs compared to I. Hill or Mariemont SD.) I also have a huge desire to be able to walk places and be close to downtown.

Downtown Loveland near the bike trail would work too, but I've heard nothing about that school district. Also, doesn't seem like many houses ever go for sale (kind of like Old Milford).

Old 03-21-2020, 04:04 PM

2,309 posts, read 3,850,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooley View Post
My husband is from Cincinnati. I did not grow up here, but I've lived here for 15 yrs. I feel he has a lot of bias or hear-say information about each of the school districts. I'm looking for opinions of people who've recently had kids in the district or are in them now.

Academically, these districts are easy to research, but I'm interested in the social aspects of the schools as well as community. My children are elementary school aged now, but I'd like to settle down to a school district/house.

What I've heard (not my opinion/s)....

Mariemont - Close community but can be exclusive and children are mean to the less advantaged kids in Fairfax/Columbia Twp. Also, not easy to get along with neighbors if you're not in the same income class.
A co-worker mentioned that Admin staff at school implied that her academically challenged child sign-up for doing nails. This co-worker was asian, and I'm not sure if she was over-exaggerating. Either way, she was turned off the district after meeting at the school.

I-Hill - They know they're rich, so they don't have to be showy. More accepting of less advantaged students from Camp Dennison/symmes etc. Teenagers have the luxury of time alone and money to get into trouble.

Milford - Quirky residents often can mean a touch of "Klass". Lots of dis-advantaged kids and district is overwhelmed with the kids that aren't getting parental support. I've also heard that the high-school is awesome, and has a lot of opportunities that blow Turpin out of the water. So, definitely mixed messages here.

Madeira - People want to be as rich as I.Hillers, but aren't, and have a mean girls attitude both at the child age and the adult.

For each of these districts, aside from Milford, we'd have to get in by buying in the townships adjacent to the main district area. If that makes sense.. So, I.Hill, we'd have to buy in Camp Dennison.. Mariemont would be Columbia Twp/fairfax..etc.

Again folks, these are not my opinions. This is just stuff I've heard, or my husband has heard.

Side note.. Columbia Twp, what's included in the taxes? Trash? Recycling? Are there separate income taxes beyond city of Cincinnati taxes?

Growing up and in high school I played in the same sports league as Milford HS. Their nickname / mascot is the screaming eagles but we use to refer to them as the screaming yuppies. This was 20-30 years ago so some things may have changed certainly.

Old 03-22-2020, 08:36 AM

2,545 posts, read 2,866,901 times
Quote:

The housing stock in Montgomery/Blue Ash is not really what we desire. We want a house built in 1890s-1935 with 2400 sq ft or larger, with some updates, under 350k, and maybe lower in areas like Mariemont SD where taxes are insane.

Also, we'd love to be close to the river. We have two canoes and spend all summer at the river bed playing. (Which is why Milford makes the list even though it under-performs compared to I. Hill or Mariemont SD.) I also have a huge desire to be able to walk places and be close to downtown.

Downtown Loveland near the bike trail would work too, but I've heard nothing about that school district. Also, doesn't seem like many houses ever go for sale (kind of like Old Milford).
It sounds like the downtown (or downtown adjacent) areas of Milford/Loveland would fit you best unless you're dead-set on moving into an elite school district (although Loveland is pretty good from what I've heard). Camp Dennison isn't walkable to anything aside from maybe the local heroin dealer's house (JUST KIDDING).

Old 03-23-2020, 11:30 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,619,168 times
Quote:

I went to Anderson HS. I never heard anyone compare Turpin HS to any Milford HS. Does Milford still not provide school bus service due to the residents voting down funding?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati