Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2020, 11:48 PM

74 posts, read 80,096 times

Advertisements

Hi all. I also posted this in the KC forum. Hope that's allowed.

My partner and I are from Michigan and we're trying to move out of state ASAP. We were in KC in October but only for a day and didn't get to go through all the neighborhoods. We have been to Cincy twice in the last few years. Our lease is up here in a few days so we're going to revisit both cities on a quick (socially distanced) road trip to hopefully make up our minds. We are simply looking for a LCOL, medium-sized city where we can start our careers. We'll be renting. We've accepted that whichever city we pick, it will be less exciting due to the pandemic. I have done a ton of research via reddit, city-data, bestplaces, etc. to the point where there's nothing more I can find out without asking you and visiting in person. We have already started applying for jobs in both cities, FYI, so hopefully we can snag one before moving.

How do you think the city will hold up with COVID? Do you expect the job market to be okay (partner is in environmental science, I'm a creative but am just looking for another office job)? How are you guys spending these quarantine days? Anything else you think we should know? Sell us on Cincinnati (or not!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2020, 10:36 AM

90 posts, read 116,920 times
The biggest thing for me would be closeness to other large cities whenever you want to do a weekend trip or just need to get out of the city for a few days. Within a few hours you can be in Columbus(1.5hr), Indy(1.5hr)Louisville(1.5hr), Lexington (1.5hr),Chicago(4.5hr), Cleveland(4hr), Nashville(4.5hr), etc. I know you can be in some larger cities in a couple hours from Kansas City but there’s nowhere near the amount that you can travel to from Cincy.

Last edited by Cincygrad2015; 07-24-2020 at 10:38 AM.. Reason: Spelling

Old 07-24-2020, 12:30 PM

162 posts, read 147,868 times
Having visited KC for work a few times, I will side with Cincinnati when it comes to the overall environment of the city. Cincinnati is just a more picturesque city with a better parks system and neighborhoods. If you look beyond the city limits, Cincinnati is in a more appealing part of the country than Kansas City. They are both similar sized cities that offer around the same type of amenities. I don't know though, there's something about being in a neighborhood like Over-the-Rhine and watching the streetcar go by 19th century Italianate architecture that you have no answer to in Kansas City.

I don't think Cincinnati is any different than other sized metro areas of its size when it comes to COVID. People just need to be smart and not act as if it will not impact them. Ohio put into effect its mandatory face mask requirement last night. It is nice that Cincinnati has such a diverse parks system because it gives you that freedom to get out when you need to.

Old 07-24-2020, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenseofPlace View Post
Having visited KC for work a few times, I will side with Cincinnati when it comes to the overall environment of the city. Cincinnati is just a more picturesque city with a better parks system and neighborhoods. If you look beyond the city limits, Cincinnati is in a more appealing part of the country than Kansas City. They are both similar sized cities that offer around the same type of amenities. I don't know though, there's something about being in a neighborhood like Over-the-Rhine and watching the streetcar go by 19th century Italianate architecture that you have no answer to in Kansas City.

I don't think Cincinnati is any different than other sized metro areas of its size when it comes to COVID. People just need to be smart and not act as if it will not impact them. Ohio put into effect its mandatory face mask requirement last night. It is nice that Cincinnati has such a diverse parks system because it gives you that freedom to get out when you need to.

You just summed up why I'm leaning towards Cincy. Totally agree with everything! I feel like we might regret picking a less interesting city after living in the boring suburbs of Michigan our whole lives when that's the change we were really looking for. I'm really looking forward to visiting again in a few days

Old 07-24-2020, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincygrad2015 View Post
The biggest thing for me would be closeness to other large cities whenever you want to do a weekend trip or just need to get out of the city for a few days. Within a few hours you can be in Columbus(1.5hr), Indy(1.5hr)Louisville(1.5hr), Lexington (1.5hr),Chicago(4.5hr), Cleveland(4hr), Nashville(4.5hr), etc. I know you can be in some larger cities in a couple hours from Kansas City but there’s nowhere near the amount that you can travel to from Cincy.

Yes, this is a huge factor for me. My partner's reply is always "we won't be traveling to other cities. The pandemic isn't ending anytime soon.". Given that we might only be living there for a year or so before moving on, it's hard to measure how true that is. I will say there are way more cities in proximity to Cincinnati that I'm interested in seeing than there are near KC.

Old 07-24-2020, 01:23 PM

162 posts, read 147,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desirepaths View Post
You just summed up why I'm leaning towards Cincy. Totally agree with everything! I feel like we might regret picking a less interesting city after living in the boring suburbs of Michigan our whole lives when that's the change we were really looking for. I'm really looking forward to visiting again in a few days
Well let us know if you have any more specific questions

I wouldn't say KC is less interesting, just that I prefer Cincinnati for its offerings. I am originally from Pittsburgh, and I would say Cincinnati is much more in line with Pittsburgh than it is KC (neighborhoods, topography, neighborhoods set into the hills, etc, etc). Really though, being close to so many other cities, and being a day's drive to much of the eastern US/coast is a big deal. Having lived in Ohio and Pennsylvania, it would be difficult to know I am in the only major city around for a good distance. When you think about, it's one thing, but living it is another.

Old 07-24-2020, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Yes, this is a huge factor for me. My partner's reply is always "we won't be traveling to other cities. The pandemic isn't ending anytime soon.". Given that we might only be living there for a year or so before moving on, it's hard to measure how true that is. I will say there are way more cities in proximity to Cincinnati that I'm interested in seeing than there are near KC.
Haha they says that now, but’s it’s nice to have that ability to just take a road trip to another close city. As other people have stated our park system is one the best in the country and there’s always some festival or market going on year around. The one thing I love most of Cincy is the history and architecture. OTR is my favorite area of the city and feels more like a less dense nyc. Is there anything else you are wanting to know about Cincy?

Last edited by Cincygrad2015; 07-24-2020 at 02:29 PM.. Reason: Spelling

Old 07-24-2020, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenseofPlace View Post
Well let us know if you have any more specific questions

I wouldn't say KC is less interesting, just that I prefer Cincinnati for its offerings. I am originally from Pittsburgh, and I would say Cincinnati is much more in line with Pittsburgh than it is KC (neighborhoods, topography, neighborhoods set into the hills, etc, etc). Really though, being close to so many other cities, and being a day's drive to much of the eastern US/coast is a big deal. Having lived in Ohio and Pennsylvania, it would be difficult to know I am in the only major city around for a good distance. When you think about, it's one thing, but living it is another.
Ohh I really wanted to visit Pittsburgh too. I think I would like it. It's funny, our goal was to get away from the long, gray winters but I'm so drawn to midwest and northeast cities!

We will be staying in Clifton next week. Do you have a favorite park in Cincy? I've done some preliminary research, but if you have any suggestions for what we should do to get a feel for neighborhoods that is reasonable for covid times, I'd be all ears. Thanks for your input!

Old 07-24-2020, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincygrad2015 View Post
Haha they says that now, but’s it’s nice to have that ability to just take a road trip to another close city. As other people have stated our park system is one the best in the country and there’s always some festival or market going on year around. The one thing I love most of Cincy is the history and architecture. OTR is my favorite area of the city and feels more like a less dense nyc. Is there anything else you are wanting to know about Cincy?

I will keep trying to convince him

I love OTR too. I'm a sucker for historical architecture. I don't see us living in OTR just because we have a dog and probably two cars, plus the prices have gone up a lot recently. I would like to be in a neighborhood with some green space. I want to be able to walk outside with my dog and enjoy a relatively safe neighborhood stroll, dog park, or nature walk without having to get in the car. Any spot stand out in your mind?

We will be staying in Clifton for a couple nights next week. I've read the other neighborhoods that would check my boxes are:

Hyde Park
Oakley
Northside

Know anything about Madisonville? I read it's a more affordable option that's still close to Oakley/Hyde Park

Thanks so much!

Old 07-24-2020, 05:10 PM

Quote:
I will keep trying to convince him

I love OTR too. I'm a sucker for historical architecture. I don't see us living in OTR just because we have a dog and probably two cars, plus the prices have gone up a lot recently. I would like to be in a neighborhood with some green space. I want to be able to walk outside with my dog and enjoy a relatively safe neighborhood stroll, dog park, or nature walk without having to get in the car. Any spot stand out in your mind?

We will be staying in Clifton for a couple nights next week. I've read the other neighborhoods that would check my boxes are:

Hyde Park
Oakley
Northside

Know anything about Madisonville? I read it's a more affordable option that's still close to Oakley/Hyde Park

Thanks so much!
For parks I would say Devou (in Kentucky but has the best view of the skyline imo), Ault (Hyde Park). Eden(Mt. Adams), Washington Park(OTR) and my personal favorite is Smale(riverfront) but there’s so many more great parks to choose from. There’s also a ton of dog parks around the city.

I actually live in Madisonville. I bought my house in 2016 and really love the neighborhood. It’s right next to Oakley/Hyde Park. So for the price (it’s quickly going up though) it’s a great option to Oakley/Hyde Park. If you are more into the artsy hipster scene then Northside is definitely the best option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati