Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 07:49 PM

17 posts, read 72,411 times

Advertisements

anyone remember the old inclines from mt. adams and the one at eight ans state???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2008, 10:29 AM

3 posts, read 10,306 times
I remember my mother talking about them.

Old 05-18-2008, 08:40 PM

205 posts, read 984,217 times
I believe there were five inclines over the years in Cincinnati.

The site of the Mt. Adams incline is just to the left (looking down) of Rookwood Pottery in Mt. Adams.

I personally don't remember any (I believe Mt. Adams was the last and it was out of service and possibly torn down by the late '40's) but I used to own an antique store and I had lots of wonderful postcards of all of the inclines from many different points of view.

Sadly, I now have only a handful left.

Old 06-05-2008, 01:56 AM

5 posts, read 12,024 times
This was the one at Eight Street:

Price Hill Incline

You can find more at Cincinnati-Transit.net

Old 07-27-2008, 05:48 PM

33 posts, read 76,533 times
My grandfather used to take my brother and me on rides around the city. My favorite was Mt Adams incline. I wanted to build a restaurant/nightclub at the top and use the incline to reach it.

Old 07-27-2008, 05:59 PM

710 posts, read 3,045,881 times
city council approved restoring streetcar service to cincinnati

Old 07-28-2008, 05:23 PM

116 posts, read 304,420 times
Historical Atlas of Cincinnati (http://www.nku.edu/%7Ehisgeo/AtlasProject/index.htm - broken link)

Historical Atlas of Cincinnati (http://www.nku.edu/%7Ehisgeo/AtlasProject/index.htm#TheInclines - broken link)

These are two different pages...second one shows inclines.

Im 62 and they were gone before I was a kid. I remember relatives talking about them

Old 07-28-2008, 05:25 PM

116 posts, read 304,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlrosen View Post
city council approved restoring streetcar service to cincinnati
And, who in their right mind would travel from downtown to Findley Market through OTR in a streetcar at night??

Old 07-29-2008, 09:31 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,829,421 times
Better that than walking! Hahahaha
Isn't the proposed route taking in Main or Sycamore? If so, there should be ridership among the downtown yuppies and hipsters who like the night life of the legal kind on those streets. From what I hear, the long(er) range planning for a light-rail system calls for this prototype line to be extended at least as far as the university/hospital area. Once that occurs there should be heavier patronage.
Incline-like "cable cars" have stayed popular in Japan and some European countries as a fast and efficient means of getting to and from the top of steep elevations. 'twouldn't surprise me if some deep-pocketed person(s) someday might try to reincarnate one of the Cincinnati inclines. With perpetually hip Mt Adams at the summit and the gentrifying East End ("Riverside Drive," ack!) at the base, the former service there would be ripe for bringing back.

Old 07-30-2008, 01:09 AM

16 posts, read 51,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey1003 View Post
Historical Atlas of Cincinnati (http://www.nku.edu/%7Ehisgeo/AtlasProject/index.htm - broken link)

Historical Atlas of Cincinnati (http://www.nku.edu/%7Ehisgeo/AtlasProject/index.htm#TheInclines - broken link)

These are two different pages...second one shows inclines.

Im 62 and they were gone before I was a kid. I remember relatives talking about them

Those are some really interesting links you posted there, Mr. Mikey1003. I'm going to have to send those links to fellow Cincinnati folks who seem to be interested in the scenery of the area long before our time. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati