Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2008, 03:56 PM

24 posts, read 105,269 times

Advertisements

Is the streetcar being killed off by making the project too large? Seems to me the the extra UC line has no funding. Doesn't making 2 lines mean that niether will be built with federal funding. BOTTOM LINE: Is biulding the UC extension at the same time as the OTR streetcar line going to kill it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2008, 03:58 PM

2,204 posts, read 6,715,971 times
All you could ever want to know (all 140 pages!) ... However, I'd start at 130!

Cincinnati streetcars and light rail

Old 05-12-2008, 05:18 PM

710 posts, read 3,045,077 times
there is also info here:

Welcome to Cincinnati Streetcar Development Group
Cincinnati Streetcar - Connect the Dots

Old 05-12-2008, 06:01 PM

267 posts, read 722,042 times
it has the green light

Old 05-12-2008, 10:03 PM

1,071 posts, read 4,451,460 times
i'm in support of the streetcar, but why is the city planning a localized line for the most centralized citizens?

Old 05-13-2008, 12:20 PM

The streetcar is building just a local line to give support for light rail in the future. Trust me it will work. Show citizens the streetcar can work and future expansion is possible. Problematically, the larger the project the more difficult it will be. That is why I dont know about the UC extension just yet. This should be properly planned and not rushed. I think this move lowers the chance of it being built to a 50/50 tossup, which is what the people who proposed the 2nd line want.

Old 05-16-2008, 10:30 AM

74 posts, read 281,777 times
I'm for the second line and I don't want to kill the thing. It just doesn't make sense to build a line to OTR and bypass clifton when uptown is the second largest hub of employment in the city. I do agree we should not rush into things as hastily as council seems to have done.

Old 05-16-2008, 10:54 AM

i work at UC. I will not make a connection to get to work that would take a lot of time. the streetcar would go from dt through otr, change trains, then through clifton and finally to UC. doesnt make sense, that would be a 30-45 min streetcar ride.for instance, i will not go somewhere if it requires two bus routes. i simply look for an alt. route. A line from dt to uptown should be direct. or else people will just take the current buses.

Old 05-16-2008, 01:01 PM

1,071 posts, read 4,451,460 times
cincinnati is the oldest city west of pittsburgh, and it has no rail. imo, they can't rush this fast enough. the city has failed to sell rail as a vital need to compete. the city needs to challenge its citizens to stop complaining and get with it. don't get me wrong, i blame the city, but if a little word manipulation gets it done, who cares who got blamed? successful cities with our similarities have good transportation because they had a good plan. why not try to sneak the 71 corridor and the downtown hub into a vote with the streetcar. not as ambitious as 2002, but a much bigger step. then the next move turns into a line to the airport and along 75. by then, dayton will see the reality and move to get a line working with us. the tracks are already laid for heavy rail. you could sell that as a no brainer. "we've got the track, why in the world can't we get some cars and get rolling" might work. the city/county should not take no for an answer in their public approach, instead of expecting a no from jump.

i'm with everybody, i want it done right, but i see rail as a pressing need for this city. possibly even the biggest priority of all. the city can't fix the schools per se and fixing the police and fighting cincinnati's corrupt machine is going to take a lot longer and be far more difficult than adding great transportation that stimulates jobs and creates opportunity for the poor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati