Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2022, 03:00 PM

3,866 posts, read 3,143,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calisonn View Post
Just wanted to post my thoughts on Cincinnati after my first visit, first the good:

1. Beautiful setting
2. Friendly people
3. More urban than I had in mind
4. Intact old building stock
5. Much more affordable than coastal cities.
6. Very walkable
7. Very green
8. Hilly terrain
9. Manageable traffic
10. Did I mention how charming the intact buildings are?

Now the bad:

1. Goetta
2. Skyline Chili
3. Businesses seem to close pretty early
4. Black/White city, little diversity outside of that.

I was very impressed by Cincinnati, would love to visit again, definitely a city you guys should be proud to call home.
Fun Fact: Cincinnati's urban core is somewhere between 15 to 20 square miles in total area. From afar off it is deceptively easy to believe that is an exaggeration from its boosters until you actually walk around on foot. Before the highways and urban renewal, the urban core was somewhere around 25 square miles in total area.

Last edited by Coseau; 08-07-2022 at 03:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2022, 01:18 PM

2,107 posts, read 5,085,472 times
Figured this would serve as additional collateral for this thread:

This Midwest City Is Getting Something Right

Nice write-up on The Daily Beasts by their travel editor, covering Cincinnati, specifically visiting downtown and OTR. I know it's easy to dismiss things we see and take for granted every day. Happens regardless of where you may live. But I believe this is a good trend that we are seeing exposure like this. The article was also referenced by the Cincinnati Enquirer.

Key highlights in the article include:
21c Hotel
Sotto
Bocca
Goetta
Findlay Market
CMC
all three art museums
Smale Park
Underground RR Museum
Downtown
OTR
Walkability

Old 08-13-2022, 10:18 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,435,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightflyer View Post
Figured this would serve as additional collateral for this thread:

This Midwest City Is Getting Something Right

Nice write-up on The Daily Beasts by their travel editor, covering Cincinnati, specifically visiting downtown and OTR. I know it's easy to dismiss things we see and take for granted every day. Happens regardless of where you may live. But I believe this is a good trend that we are seeing exposure like this. The article was also referenced by the Cincinnati Enquirer.

Key highlights in the article include:
21c Hotel
Sotto
Bocca
Goetta
Findlay Market
CMC
all three art museums
Smale Park
Underground RR Museum
Downtown
OTR
Walkability

How did the author miss the Roebling Suspension Bridge while visiting the adjacent National Underground Railroad Freedom Center?

Old 08-13-2022, 10:52 AM
on3

498 posts, read 384,977 times
Skyline and Gold Star really can't hold a candle to Wendy's chilly though. First created in 1969 in Columbus, Ohio, by founder Dave Thomas who was aware of Ohio's offerings of Skyline in 1949 and Goldstar in 1965, and decided to come up with something better.

Old 08-14-2022, 01:20 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,435,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by on3 View Post
Skyline and Gold Star really can't hold a candle to Wendy's chilly though. First created in 1969 in Columbus, Ohio, by founder Dave Thomas who was aware of Ohio's offerings of Skyline in 1949 and Goldstar in 1965, and decided to come up with something better.

Wendy's is just traditional chile. I more greatly enjoy Skyline, but I know many persons outside of Greater Cincinnati aren't fans.

Old 08-14-2022, 02:19 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
Wendy's is just traditional chile.
Too many green bell peppers, too. *urp*

Skyline never makes me *urp*.

Old 08-14-2022, 08:12 PM

2,107 posts, read 5,085,472 times
Quote:
How did the author miss the Roebling Suspension Bridge while visiting the adjacent National Underground Railroad Freedom Center?
I thought he said he walked across the bridge? I might have missed that in the highlights section on my post. Pretty certain he mentioned the bridge though?

Old 08-26-2022, 12:06 PM

38 posts, read 26,665 times
Quote:
Wendy's is just traditional chile. I more greatly enjoy Skyline, but I know many persons outside of Greater Cincinnati aren't fans.
We had friends come in from the West Coast. They told us ahead of time that, having heard what it is, they didn't want to go to Skyline for the chili. We just said "Okay, whatever you guys want."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati