Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 09:45 AM

3 posts, read 9,674 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone...

My fiance and I (ages 24/23) will be moving to the Cincinnatti area sometime in January from downtown Toronto in Canada. I am looking for any kinds of advice/ help/ suggestions/ opinions, don't hold back please!

He is relocating there with one of the major companies in the downtown core, and we are looking for a place to live around this area- willing to travel about 30 minutes if need be. Currently in Toronto, we own a yuppie type condo-apartment worth about $300K, which is made up of 720 sq. ft. and 1 bedroom/ 1 bathroom (I know- Toronto's expensive). We have a household income of about $90K a year. With our move, I estimate our household income (I'm lowballing it- I don't have my job secured as yet) will be about $100K, and will increase once more things confirm, but let's go on that.

We want to live in a decent sized home (1500 sq. ft +), preferbly within a gated community/ club. We also want to spend around $150K or under. Is this realistic? If so, what areas would people suggest we look into, if not- how much can we expect to pay. We want safety (a must!), areas where people are a bit younger, similar what we have here in Toronto. I've gotten wind of a few areas through conversations with people- mainly Indian Hills (I know it may be out of our price range). We also were told to look in Kentucky area- but have no idea about this... any suggestions on areas?

Also, I know the cost of living in substantially less than here in Toronto, which is awesome. Anyone do the move, or know people who have? Was it a huge difference?

And one last minor, but important point. Both of us are born and raised in North America, but we are a visible minority (South Asian and West Indian descent- so brown skinned). I've heard that this does play a part as to where we should move, because we don't want to get involved in dealing with unneccesary drama. Anything we should avoid?... be aware of

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

~N

Last edited by baneni; 05-21-2008 at 10:16 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2008, 08:37 PM

310 posts, read 1,209,312 times
Default Move to Cincinnati

You have lots of options with communites within your price range. Where is your job located? This would impact where you may want to live. If you want to stay in yuppie/urban environment, there are several communites in downtown or downtown/near. Clifton, Northside, Pleasant Ridge Oakley, Hyde Park are just a few that come to mind

Old 05-22-2008, 10:31 PM

710 posts, read 3,045,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Dunn View Post
You have lots of options with communites within your price range. Where is your job located? This would impact where you may want to live. If you want to stay in yuppie/urban environment, there are several communites in downtown or downtown/near. Clifton, Northside, Pleasant Ridge Oakley, Hyde Park are just a few that come to mind
I agree with those five places. all are very nice.

None of them are however gated communities, which is a good thing, Gated communities tend to be very weary of minorities and I wouldn't recommend anyone, regardless of skin color to live in one because the gated community is the antithesis of the democratic, equality based system countless generations of patriots have fought to defend. It is against the very nature of our country to self segregate on the basis of wealth and class to exclude all others who do not conform to a certain form that the gated community attempts to perpetuate.

That being said, I hope you enjoy Cincinnati.

Old 05-23-2008, 06:34 AM

It's P&G in Cincy...

is safety a concern outside of a gated community?

Also, any opinions on living in Kentucky?

oh and thanks so much for the answers so far

Old 05-23-2008, 07:10 AM

2,204 posts, read 6,715,971 times
Toronto is one of my favorite cities!

A perfect mix of everything I find attractive in a city, even compared to NYC and Chicago. What a hard city to live up to! lol

We'll be going back the first week of Sept.!

Old 05-23-2008, 11:53 AM

156 posts, read 631,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baneni View Post
It's P&G in Cincy...

NKY is quickly becoming the top area to live in this city, so definately check it out.

Old 05-23-2008, 08:44 PM

310 posts, read 1,209,312 times
Default Move to Cincinnati

Definitely consider Northern Kentucky if you are working at P&G. Covington, Newport and Bellevue have all become magnets for younger, urban professionals. You have great communities on both sides of the Ohio River.

Old 05-26-2008, 05:22 PM

I've heard Kentucky is somwhere we should be a little more concerned about being accepted (given our race)... any comments on this?

We're not worried about fitting in so much, we know once people get to know us we'll have no problem gaining a good group of friends, more concerned with how difficult people will make it for us (heard horror stories)

Old 05-26-2008, 06:17 PM

2,204 posts, read 6,715,971 times
NOKY's white race ranges anywhere from 87% to 99% white.

Old 05-28-2008, 07:14 PM

245 posts, read 1,272,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baneni View Post
It's P&G in Cincy...

New construction and very safe for under $150K... It's going to be a condo in NKY close to 275 if you want the combination of short commute and very safe. Race issues are only bad in poorer / older neighborhoods, and in new subdivisions it's not really an issue.

New Construction: Cincinnati didn't gain 5M people within 30 years like Toronto did, so with the exception of the suburbs around 275, a lot of the housing in the $150K range is going to be older. New construction in old, very safe neighborhoods is generally going to cost $200K-$500K. "Newer housing" here is considered anything built post WW2.

Gated communities:
With the exception of the $1M+ home sector, gates at the front of developments here are just for show. The gates at the front open automatically or with a garage door opener, but they don't really add security as it's fairly easy for a would-be intruders to enter. They're considered good for resale value but aside from that they add to the condo fee when they break all the time.

In most of Cincinnati's safer suburbs, crime is going to be limited to petty crime like kids looking to steal change and cigarettes from your car or booze from your garage.

I have noticed that the bulk of Cincinnati's suburban Asian professionals live way north in places like Sycamore Twp, Mason and West Chester.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati