U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2012, 12:38 AM

800 posts, read 787,728 times

Advertisements

Since this thread started The Submarine Galley closed. I think it closed in 2010. They renovated the building pretty dramatically when it became Dive Bar in early 2011.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2012, 03:19 PM

8 posts, read 26,513 times
Anyone out there remember castle farms??? They had many bands perform there as well,a lot of great r&b artists and early rock and roll bands.I think it was on summit rd.

Old 05-29-2012, 11:55 AM

405 posts, read 722,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmecklenborg View Post
Since this thread started The Submarine Galley closed. I think it closed in 2010. They renovated the building pretty dramatically when it became Dive Bar in early 2011.
I think this is hilarious. That they tarted it up to brand it as what it actually was before they changed it. Post modern in a time of post-post-modern. Already old fashioned.

Old 06-05-2012, 07:19 AM

9,259 posts, read 14,570,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG64 View Post
Anyone out there remember castle farms??? They had many bands perform there as well,a lot of great r&b artists and early rock and roll bands.I think it was on summit rd.
You must be young. Castle Farms was the winter home of the big band era dance bands when Coney's Moonlight Gardens was closed. I saw several of the big bands there, though the era was definitely winding down. I also remember some New Years Eve parties there where things got rather wild. They had a package store operation on the first floor where you could buy a bottle of booze.

I got a kick out of your references to R&B and rock and roll bands. I am sure they were reduced to that prior to their ultimate demise, but in their heyday it was a swank place to go. My parents were frequent visitors there for dancing, and since I am in my 70s you can extrapolate how long ago that was.

Old 08-08-2012, 08:59 AM

14,630 posts, read 9,019,168 times
Just happened across this after a convo on FB reminded me of some of the times I had in this area, and someone told me Sudsy's is closed. How sad. I was up there (worked at the Subway next door to Sudsy Malone's) in the late 90's. Got hooked on my still-favorite band, GWAR at Bogart's, saw Electric Hellfire Club and Hogscraper (anyone remember/familiar with Hogscraper?) at Sudsy Malone's...

Funny thing is, I was remembering some of the wild characters of the area, there was a guy...I vaguely recall his name might have been T or something like that...anyhow, he was an older black man with amputated legs who panhandled up in that area. If you didn't give him money and especially if you were rude, he was known to threaten and chase you (in his wheelchair.) People on FB who have been in the area recently--I left in 99--say he is STILL THERE, panhandling "like a mofo" with a sign reading "Give me your money or I'll kick you in the head." Which totally sounds like the same guy I knew.

I also used to go to this all night coffee shop called "Angst" but it wasn't in the same area as this stuff. Anyone else remember that?

I wonder how many of the people I used to know in that area are still around. I have a hard time remembering last names, so I can't look them up online. I knew some squatter punk types that lived over near the Mad Frog bar (or whatever that was) on Vine & McMillan...one guy, Eddie, I remember...his head was too big for the rest of him, great guy anyhow. And a bunch of art school lesbians I used to know...Charlotte, Ali, Jane...Charlotte's brother Al became a stand up bass player in a rockabilly band called Rumble Club, going by the name of "Bones."

Anybody know anything about any of these folks? We were all so young...I have no idea what happened to them...

Old 08-08-2012, 08:24 PM

4,814 posts, read 12,008,603 times
This may not be the same "Bones" 'cause he wasn't named Al, but the same scene was involved:

Feature Articles I Salvaging Bones I Cincinnati Magazine

Old 08-09-2012, 11:55 AM

405 posts, read 722,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Got hooked on my still-favorite band, GWAR at Bogart's, saw Electric Hellfire Club and Hogscraper (anyone remember/familiar with Hogscraper?) at Sudsy Malone's...
I LOVED HOGSCRAPER! Going to see them in a bar on someone's yard, whatever, is the type of experience I miss the most since leaving.

Old 08-09-2012, 03:51 PM

14,630 posts, read 9,019,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
This may not be the same "Bones" 'cause he wasn't named Al, but the same scene was involved:

Feature Articles I Salvaging Bones I Cincinnati Magazine

Not the same guy, but an interesting read anyways. Thanks!

I'm glad somebody chimed in remembering Hogscraper! I tried to watch some Youtube vids of em, relive the feel of it all a bit, but it's never the same. Ya gotta be there. I'm just glad I still have the CD...

Old 03-19-2015, 02:55 PM

1 posts, read 728 times
Hi I am looking for "Derrick" His mom worked at Sub Galley in the 80's.... I believe in Cincinnati! Thanks for any info!

Old 03-19-2015, 03:43 PM

9,259 posts, read 14,570,030 times
Problem is I remember Castle Farms when it really was Castle Farms. . I remember a New Years party there when my wife, a Coloratura Soprano got up to sing. Thought she was trying to bring the chandelers down. Too bad so many of you youngsters never experienced that era, as you will never know what you missed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati