Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 01:53 PM

24 posts, read 105,269 times

Advertisements

when you talk to many people in cincinnati its like they dont have civic pride. They think the city (and hence themselves) will fail at everything. For instance, I spoke to someone about cbd revitalization. They say "we tried that before in the 80s and it didnt work." Like that means that the city should somehow not take risks or invest in itself. Another piont. Cultural sphere of cincinnati is small. If you ask someone they will say "I am from x suburb." No you live in cincinnati. No one outside of cincinnati even knows where you live. probably not even peolpe as close as Cleveland
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2008, 11:05 PM

51 posts, read 153,322 times
Cincy is mostly ignored, sometime villified as being a bit right wing, but generally ignored.

Old 06-13-2008, 12:54 AM

1,071 posts, read 4,451,460 times
cincinnati's societal and political rap is a lot longer than cleveland. cleveland's rap is crime and jobs. it all depends on what you're talking about.

Old 06-13-2008, 04:29 AM

3,070 posts, read 11,918,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillside View Post
cincinnati's societal and political rap is a lot longer than cleveland. cleveland's rap is crime and jobs. it all depends on what you're talking about.
.....I dont really agree with this. If you lived up here you would know all of the bad things that are going on with the people that run our cities. Lorain has had cop after cop charged with crimes and being suspended and even put in jail, as does Cleveland. Add fire department to that list too. The departments themselves are corrupt and people are stealing money from the inside. Of course all of that about Cleveland police officers shooting and killing possibly innocent people. Then there were cops that were caught dealing drugs themselves in both Lorain and Cleveland. Pretty much the whole city of Cleveland and Lorain are corrupt right now.

The mayor of Cleveland lives in one of the rougher neighborhoods and he has had a couple of his relatives being charged with crimes with drugs, and people have been asking if he is involved with it himself. Also, he doesnt seem to care about the crime problem at all, it took him a long time to even address that there was a crime problem in the city only after 1/4 of the city turned into a near-warzone over drug and gang wars last year. Thats not even factoring in all of the other officials that are corrupt and have hidden agendas. This is nothing new though, it has gotten worse but the city has been corrupt for years and years before the mafia days, they basically ran the city at one point like Chicago and Youngstown.

Old 06-13-2008, 08:36 AM

25 posts, read 80,858 times
To be honest....What media attention would any city get? Unless really crazy happens somewhere in a city....Nobody could give two ****s

Old 06-13-2008, 10:27 AM

1,071 posts, read 4,451,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cle440 View Post
.....I dont really agree with this. If you lived up here you would know all of the bad things that are going on with the people that run our cities. Lorain has had cop after cop charged with crimes and being suspended and even put in jail, as does Cleveland. Add fire department to that list too. The departments themselves are corrupt and people are stealing money from the inside. Of course all of that about Cleveland police officers shooting and killing possibly innocent people. Then there were cops that were caught dealing drugs themselves in both Lorain and Cleveland. Pretty much the whole city of Cleveland and Lorain are corrupt right now.

The mayor of Cleveland lives in one of the rougher neighborhoods and he has had a couple of his relatives being charged with crimes with drugs, and people have been asking if he is involved with it himself. Also, he doesnt seem to care about the crime problem at all, it took him a long time to even address that there was a crime problem in the city only after 1/4 of the city turned into a near-warzone over drug and gang wars last year. Thats not even factoring in all of the other officials that are corrupt and have hidden agendas. This is nothing new though, it has gotten worse but the city has been corrupt for years and years before the mafia days, they basically ran the city at one point like Chicago and Youngstown.
that's fine that you disagree, and you're right, cleveland is extremely corrupt. but as far as cincinnati goes, it is one of the premier examples of institutional racism and and over-government in the field of education. cincinnati has an image of a jim crow, conservative, overbearing town because of the actions of the government. cincinnati is ignored on a national stage because the pipeline to change is clogged with corruption, and the city is seen as stagnant and behind. you can be very corrupt and get things done like chicago, be extremely corrupt and get some things done like cleveland, or be fully corrupt and get nothing done like cincinnati. eddie's right, cinti has fading civic pride because the city/county hasn't inspired any with its politics.

Old 06-13-2008, 12:18 PM

414 posts, read 1,277,145 times
I don't know necessarily about negative media coverage, but I will say that some of the sports teams tend to present an ugly image of the city. For years it was Huggins thugs, then followed by the complete embarrassment of an organization called the Bengals. And I'm not talking about the losing years, I'm talking about all the arrests. They are an absolute disgrace. I now live out of state and I can not wear a Bengals t-shirt without hearing at least 3 or 4 different comments about the criminals playing for Cincinnati. While I'm smart enough to know that a professional sports team does not necessarily reflect a city's people, many don't understand that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati