Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 08:26 PM

2 posts, read 5,278 times

Advertisements

Came across this story in Lockland Village news:

[FONT=Times-Bold][LEFT]WHAT’S HAPPENING IN LOCKLAND
DEVELOPMENT?[/LEFT]
[/FONT][FONT=Times-Roman][LEFT]Administrator David Krings reports:
Most have noticed the new buildings, the
removal of dilapidated buildings, and the
general upgrading of the Village of the
recent years. All of these projects were
funded through grants which did not require
local financial participation. Recent
demolitions on Dunn Street, Central
Avenue, Maple Street, and other locations
will soon be followed by the removal of
Rick’s Tree Service on Wyoming Avenue
and the former Westendorf’s Market on
West Forrer. The tree service property will
be incorporated into Mayor Jim Brown Park.
Funding for this project was obtained
through a grant from the State of Ohio and a
partnership agreement with the City of
Wyoming. Purchase and removal of the
Westendorf property is being paid through a
grant of Federal “stimulus” money
administered by Hamilton County.
The most obvious, and in many ways most
frustrating project, is the Stearns and Foster
clean up. The Village is working with both
a “carrot and stick” to move the project
along. The current owners have been taken
to court to speed the clean up. The Village
has also met with outside developers, State
officials and others to turn the project into
another success story along the lines of[/LEFT]
Jefferson Smurfit, Fox Paper, and Celotex.
[/FONT]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2010, 12:24 PM

1 posts, read 2,281 times
Love to read about Elmwood Days,since i was born there.I live in Forest Park now but cant help from driving through.I stopped by the old Gilbert Furniture store when he was selling his property a couple of years ago.I just had to look at the old Theater in there and he let me and my wife and few friends in to look.Blew my mind to walk through there again,spent my childhood in there,i used to get the theater for a dime since i was born in 1942,long time ago.On leaving there my wife and I was talking to Gilbert about the old Theater days when she noticed some old sighns in a corner,they where hand made showing the admission rates for the Theater through the years,they were four of them,plus two handmade Christmas Sighns they put in the Window at Christmas time,remember when us kids were let out of school and marched down the theater were they gave us Candy and let us watch Cartoons for free.Anyway my wife and I told Gilbert we had to have these sighns and how much did he want,i would pay anything.He was so nice and Kind and just gave them to me and my wife,i told him these would hang on my wall in my den forever.Gilbert was a great and kind man.

Old 08-11-2010, 08:49 AM

1 posts, read 2,252 times
In response to goyguy's June, 2008 post about Vine St. in Hartwell, the tavern at the corner of Compton and Vine was the Valley Exchange. My grandfather, W.F. Strasburger, was the last owner of the building. I was a little kid (born in 1957) when he owned the restaurant. He had a beer garden and a hamburger on the menu called the Strasburger. He also had Graeter's ice cream on the menu, and I was constantly in hopes of having some. He operated the restaurant until 1965, when it was torn down. He then built the Burger Chef restaurant on that site, and Burger Chef leased from him. I don't know when he sold the property, but when Burger Chef left, Hardee's moved in. Now, there's a Penn Station restaurant on that site.

My grandfather went on to build next to the Valley Exchange site. That building, which originally housed Super-X Drugs and Central Trust Bank, opened in March, 1969. In August of that year, the tornado ripped the top off the building. The second story was reconstructed, and my family still owns the property.

Late '50s, early 60's, there was a bakery across the street from the Valley Exchange, the Patty Cake Bakery, and my grandparents sometimes bought me treats from the bakery. My mother remembers that there was also an insurance company (J.D. Cloud she thinks) and a dress shop across the street from the Valley Exchange.

My family has no exterior photos of the Valley Exchange. I'd love to acquire some if they are out there somewhere. [email]droland@fuse.net[/email]

Old 08-11-2010, 11:14 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,824,184 times
Thanks for the valuable addition of Hartwell info!
The dress shop was known as Tina's. And your family would no doubt remember Igler's Pharmacy, which stood (complete with soda fountain) on the same block until the late '60s. The owners then bought the block up to what was then Tina's, demolished the building, and put up a strip mall with their business - no longer with soda fountain - anchoring the south side. Cramer's Hardware took over the space when the national chain drug stores killed Igler's.
If you Google "old Cincinnati photo" you never know what might turn up. Several Web addresses have been shared in this forum that contain a mother lode of old pics from all over town. You might also make inquiry through the Cincinnati Historical Society, the library, or even by contacting the Hartwell Improvement Association (Hartwell.)

Old 08-12-2010, 09:12 PM

311 posts, read 1,752,618 times
Default Valley Exchange

I can remember when the building was torn down. At the time it was suggested that the tavern had been there for many years. You mentioned that your grandfather was its last owner - any idea how far back it dated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by droland View Post
In response to goyguy's June, 2008 post about Vine St. in Hartwell, the tavern at the corner of Compton and Vine was the Valley Exchange. My grandfather, W.F. Strasburger, was the last owner of the building. I was a little kid (born in 1957) when he owned the restaurant. He had a beer garden and a hamburger on the menu called the Strasburger. He also had Graeter's ice cream on the menu, and I was constantly in hopes of having some. He operated the restaurant until 1965, when it was torn down.

Old 01-11-2011, 02:22 PM

1 posts, read 2,088 times
This is kind of a random comment but, here goes. My Dad was born & raised in Elmwood. My Grandmother used to work at a place called the Walk-A-Show, which was on Vine St. I actually was going through old photos and came across a small leather note pad with the name on the front. From what I've been told this was a gambling place. I think my Grandma was a waitress. I sure wish I would have been interested in all of this "stuff" when everyone was still around.

Old 05-31-2011, 12:03 PM

1 posts, read 1,956 times
my best friend , my brother and i were at the carthage fair that day when the tornado hit. it blew down tents. people were running all over trying to find shelter. i dont remember if anyone was hurt at the fair grounds, but we were all ok. our parents were freaking out buy the time we got home. it wasnt till later we had learn it was a tornado that had hit.

Old 05-31-2011, 11:36 PM

There are some things you're better off not knowing about until after the fact!
Thanks for reviving this thread.
Did you live in Hartwell, Carthage, or another area along Vine St or Springfield Pike at the time? Do you still?

Old 06-21-2011, 09:59 PM

12 posts, read 17,933 times
I lived in Wyoming from about 64 till 73. My dad was an avid horse lover and used to board his horse at Carthage fairgounds for a while. I remember my brothers worked at Kroger's, and I put in a few shifts at the Famous Recipe Fried Chicken, both on Springfield Pike I think. Lot's of good memories, Obert's pharmacy, Frisch's Big Boy, etc., etc.
Thanks for the thread

Old 06-21-2011, 10:22 PM

Default Let's eat "unhealthy" on Vine St

Quote:
Originally Posted by crank_it_up View Post
I lived in Wyoming from about 64 till 73. My dad was an avid horse lover and used to board his horse at Carthage fairgounds for a while. I remember my brothers worked at Kroger's, and I put in a few shifts at the Famous Recipe Fried Chicken, both on Springfield Pike I think. Lot's of good memories, Obert's pharmacy, Frisch's Big Boy, etc., etc.
Thanks for the thread
"No - thank YOU" - for reviving it again.
Famous Recipe was holding its 40th-anniversary celebration (now under the name Lee's Famous Recipe) when I was in da Nati eariler this month. Almost nothing about the builiding at Vine & Pfau has changed in all that time. But Hartwell School across the street just got a makeover and is not only looking good, it received an "Excellent" academic-quality rating last year. And (to the joy of those who actually like the stuff) Empress Chili just reopened. Also helping Hartwell to maintain its appeal as "Wyoming's destination for fast food" is the year-old Penn Station sub shop, which brought life back into the old Burger Chef (later Hardee's and later still a short-lived BBQ place.)
Do you remember when Frisch's was proud of how you could "eat in your car" there? They weren't talking about drive-thru's in those days. There were weather-protected menus and PA systems mounted alongside each parking space. You'd place your order just like at a drive-thru, with the difference being that the poor server would then have to run back and forth to deliver your food and take away what remained. Not enough could've been paid to me to have that gig. At the time people weren't so much in a mad rush as they were happy to be able to just go out wearing "whatever" instead of looking presentable. Of course all that goes over the heads of folks today, who don't think twice about walking into a "casual" place in sandals and dirty laundry. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati