Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2008, 07:39 AM

15 posts, read 46,394 times

Advertisements

I will be completing a teacher license program in PA by the middle of December and I'm extremely interested in moving. I was looking at Indianapolis, but don't want to put all my hopes in one area, so thought I would apply to another similar area. I don't know much about the area, so any information really would be awesome.i mean a few huge question's I have is:

-How are teaching jobs in the area? Do they pay well enough to live a comfortabler lifestyle?
-What areas around Cincinnati or within it are worth looking into for an apartment? (I'm in my mid 20's so would like an area that has younger adults yet not too much a college type atmosphere)
-Just general information on the area, how does it compare to Indianapolis?

As you can tell any information in general would be such a huge huge help, only because I have 5 months before a big move, and want to narrow down the areas I'm looking at (I'm also fully aware I would probably have to substitute for awhile this school year, likelihood of midyear full time positions seem to be -5% hahah)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2008, 03:31 PM

26 posts, read 103,187 times
The problem with becoming a teacher in Cincinnati mostly revolves around two central facts:

(a) Multiple universities with many students enrolled in teaching-related programs results in much job-market competition;

and (b) A fair majority of Cincinnati schools, especially in the city proper, are populated with what may be referred to as "undesirable" student populations

Now, as far as apartments are concerned, your best bets revolve around Norwood, Oakley, and Hyde Park. Norwood is a small town within the city proper, independent, with four elementary schools, an attached high school/junior high, and a substantial population of both working-class and white-collar individuals. Very safe, and where I have spent the last twenty years.

Oakley is quite similar, and borders Norwood's east side, but the school district is part of Cincinnati itself. Hyde Park is known to be rather "yuppie," but is very livable with a wonderful town square resembling those of many European cities. There are plenty of rental units in all three areas.

Overall Cincinnati is much more livable than Indianapolis, at least personally speaking.

Old 06-27-2008, 09:03 PM

884 posts, read 2,641,405 times
Another problem with the Cincinnati teaching market (I switched college majors out of education back in the 90's) is that the area is not growing population wise...not to the point where the demand is strong. It takes some time for student teachers to get jobs and many school districts are either laying off teachers or they have a hiring freeze. If you are in a high demand area like special education, math , science--you will be ok...if not go to a city with a population boom.. Check with the suburban districts and try this link there are some jobs posted by a former Principal of mine.

Effron & Associates

Old 06-28-2008, 05:38 AM

184 posts, read 491,287 times
I was looking for a Cincinnati teaching job last year and the job market was not great. I'm not sure any of my friends got Cincinnati teaching jobs, now that I think about it... we all had to move! You may end up getting lucky, and if you are a middle school math or science teacher your odds are better. It never hurts to look, but like you said, mid-year teaching jobs are even harder to find. However, if you can get your foot in the door as a sub, a school might be more interested in hiring you.

I don't want to discourage you...I love Cincinnati! But just be aware that (at least last year) the job market was VERY competitive.

Good luck!

Old 06-30-2008, 05:45 AM

15 posts, read 46,394 times
Thanks for the advice!...I'm unfortunately not a middle math or science teacher, rather a middle to high school english certified. I do like both areas, just can't make up my mind really. I was just mainly looking for a larger city, semi-metro, that wouldn't cost an arm and a leg to live in but had some culture and things to do. I do love to go out as well, however, since I am only in my mid20's. I guess I'll apply to both and see what happens. From the sound of it I migth have an easier time finding a position in Indianapolis. I wouldn't mind subbing the rest of the school year I would be walking into this coming year, i actually sort of expected it. I don't know how I would feel about having to sub for another year after that however.

Anyone have any other areas I should look at? I can technically teach in 15 states thanks to the Praxis I and II test's I have under my belt and the scores I have.

Anywhere fun, with a younger adult crowd would be nice where, Like I said, there would be things to do both bar wise as well as culture wise (I do love art and such), and not cost a real lot.

Old 08-24-2008, 01:20 PM

1 posts, read 3,098 times
hopefully, you have not moved to cincinnati yet! getting a teaching job here at a decent school district is near impossible as it is mostly about who you know, not what your qualifications are. high school english...i don't think i've seen a posting in almost two years. the problem is that many teachers are retiring and then returning to teach and double-dipping the system.

also, as a 20-something, the night life leaves a lot to be desired. again, mostly hometown, who you know from high school, scene. i think cincinnati was voted one of the worst cities for singles.

indy far surpasses cincy in culture, night life, and opportunities. competition for teaching jobs is high there too. good luck finding something! let me know where that is so i can get out of this city too! haha!

ps. the dude that told you to live in norwood...NO WAY! my uncle was even the mayor of norwood and i would not live there! it is rundown, low on resources and income, offering only hole-in-the-wall bars (and not with character), few decent restaurants, and no opportunities to mingle. thought you should know!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
View detailed profiles of: