Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 08:06 AM

1 posts, read 6,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiddleCincinnati View Post
, be sure they're Husmann's - Husmann's Potato Chips.

I'm surprised Grippo's never had any fancy jingles. Even Rubel's rye bread
had its own song, after all.

While on the topic of Cincinnati brands, do any of these beers still
exist:

Burger, Hudepohl, Schoenling, Wiedemann ?
Can you or anyone tell me where the old Rebel's Rye Bread Bakery used to be? I think it was in the Walnut Hills area. I have a wonderful old picture of my Mother & Aunt and many other employee's inside the bakery taken most probably in the early 1940's. I would love to know the address of the old bakery for my genelogy files. Thanks, Linda
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2010, 08:49 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,795,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandanagranny View Post
Can you or anyone tell me where the old Rebel's Rye Bread Bakery used to be? I think it was in the Walnut Hills area. I have a wonderful old picture of my Mother & Aunt and many other employee's inside the bakery taken most probably in the early 1940's. I would love to know the address of the old bakery for my genelogy files. Thanks, Linda
Can't find the address of the old bakery. Tried everything, including the Rubel's Heidelberg Rye which they owned the trademark to. Perhaps another responder can be more definitive.

Old 06-14-2010, 09:11 AM

311 posts, read 1,753,481 times
Default Rubel's

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
Can't find the address of the old bakery. Tried everything, including the Rubel's Heidelberg Rye which they owned the trademark to. Perhaps another responder can be more definitive.
Walnut Hills sounds right to me, too. I seem to recall that it was off of McMillan, not far from I-71.

If no one gets back to you, the main library will look it up on request.

Old 10-23-2010, 03:01 PM

4 posts, read 23,825 times
Well this has been an interesting thread. I live in Houston, TX now, but in Cincy till 1995. Born in Covington, Nov 1949.
I worked in photography, film and radio until about 82. Started at WKRC in 1968, while in college. Worked with Glenn "Skipper Ryle" who rode a Harley. Nice man. Did his show for a couple of years. Dan Gunzleman was a film guy at WKRC and went on to co write WKRP in Cincinnati (see the similarities). In fact the open of that show had a shot of the WKRC tower. Met Al and Wanda (AKA Uncle and Capt. Wendy) numerous times and of course Larry Smith. Worked the all-night shift with Bob Shreve - free beer - Bob didn't really drink and played with all the goofy props. Met Bo Wood in 1968, brother of Robin and Son of Frank Wood who started Underground radio in Cinti "EBN - who even had FM then?
Jelly Pudding. Went on to work at WLW-T. Worked with Dixon, Braun (former Coney Island life guard) and just about every sport WLW was involved in. I met a lot of celebs on the Braun show - he dropped 50-50 as soon as they let him - Ruth Lyons had two sets of bleachers that each held 50 people, hence 50-50.

As many people may know, WLW broadcast the first night baseball game and the first color baseball game. I later rented Space in thier transmitter facillity and production facility in Mt. Aburn. For a while WCET was there before they moved to central Parkway. It was a dive, but functional. WLW was on 5th ST. but still kept the old 3 lenes turret cameras at this facility. Interesting place.

Rather than rant on - I'll just mention names of people I met or worked with and knew: Jay Gilbert, Phil Samp, Bench, Rose (and wife Carolyn), Morgan, Trumpy et. al., Marion Spellman, Rob Ryder, Dave McCoy, Good friend Randy Weidner - well all the people on the Braun and Dixon show, Worked the Hayride, used to drink at the "Mission" across the street with Kenny Price between rehersal and taping of Hayride, Did Trumpy's demo tape to get him a sports broadcast job, Scholokotte wasn't one of my favorite people, Nick Clooney is as nice as he seems. Anyone remember Janie Gardener? She lived in Hyde Park with her husband Chase. Hung with Denny Janson. Wored with Phil Donahue and did Jerry Sringer's "return to politics" commercial after his unfortunate check incident (very funny story about screening it for him - not for the general audience - there was a scene inserted from a movie - called deep something) - later to become Mayor and well you know....

Did about 250 TV commercials in Cincy. First to use helical scan video tape for broadcast commericials. Used the 6th TBC (time-base-corrector) in the US. Engineers at the local TV stations clained TBC meant "terrible broadcast color". At first they were right - later they just saw it as anti union -IBEW. Did Pool City, Steinberg's, Beverly Hills - two weeks before it burned - it never aired. Two that were fun were for WEBN - Live Wire and "I'll give the the shirt off my back" - a bit contriversial - CPO wouldn't air it - which was great - thanks Al. And did a series called rock and roll with Hudepohl. Won an EMMY for a OS Fair piece that aired on the Braun show at the fair. Oh yeah, edited and co-directed an after school special for Campbell's Soup and shot at the Vent Haven Museum for HBO when they were in their infancy. Oh also managed bands - Serapis Scrooge and Allenby.

Well MORE THAN ENOUGH from me. Would be happy to answer any questions, within reason than anyone has.

Last edited by Dissy182; 10-23-2010 at 03:07 PM.. Reason: addition

Old 10-23-2010, 04:03 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,022,024 times
Dissy182 - your post certainly establishes your credentials as the "Deep Throat of Cincinnati TV"- what an extensive and colorful background in local entertainment! But please be forewarned - many of our fellow posters will want to test you, so be ready! As for myself, may we discuss our mutual interests in writing a bestseller, heh heh! By the way, if it isn't too personal -- why did you move to Houston, considering how well you were entrenched here?

Old 10-23-2010, 10:21 PM

Houston? Hmmmm. Well - got married in 80 something and wifey - now an ex, didn't like the degenerates in the TV biz - so "naturally" I went into life insurance. Ended up in home office running marketing and then product. Went to Lynchburg VA, Philly, and then to Houston ( AIG - ) as head of life product development. Left there in 07.

No desire to go back to Cincy. Too cold, too conservativ AND THEY HAVE THE WORST OWNER IN NFL HISTORY! Even though kids are both in Indiana? Daughter in 2nd year law and son a writer at a small town newspaper.
Talking about moving to California if they legalize pot - kidding about the pot part.

Makes sense - huh?

Old 10-24-2010, 05:55 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,022,024 times
Thanks , Dissy182, for your reply to my query -- sorry to hear that you won't be returning to "The 'Nati,"but your professional broadcast background is too rich just to let go to -- perhaps you already realize this and thus we can await that best-seller (in collaboration with your son?). One thing NOT mentioned above, though, was your personal associations (if any) with the queen of local TV herself, Ruth Lyons. Care to comment? LOL!

Old 10-24-2010, 06:40 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,795,375 times
Dissy182... I also would like to hear if you had any personal contact with Ruth Lyons. My mother was one of her fanatical fans as was my wife until Ruth retired. My recollection of Ruth was she knew very well what position she held in local broadcasting and the power her dedicated fans gave her. And I believe she knew how to use that following to her advantage. I would be surprised if others in the business did not consider her sometimes difficult to work with.

Ruth to me was Cincinnati's mid-20th-century version of Martha Stewart. Don't know exactly what she triggered in her fans, but it surely worked. And I remember that corded microphone she always used with the flower bouquet attached. It became virtually a trademark.

In my evaluation, Ruth in Cincinnati was a female Authur Godfrey. I remember when they tried to syndicate Ruth into a nationwide audience. This did not last very long, as I believe she said I cannot be true to this larger audience as I don't know them. For this I give her credit.

Ruth was one of limited talent. Her most obvious talent was probably music composition. I still have several of the records, primarily Christmas music, they produced. With supporting talent like Ruby Wright, Marian Spelman, and Bonnie Lou how could you go wrong?

But don't get me wrong, I will never criticize Ruth Lyons as being devoid of talent. In fact, she may be the most talented person in the annals of Radio/TV in Cincinnati in the 20th Century.

Old 10-24-2010, 07:06 PM

I need to be careful here. First of all - just for information purposes - Ruth used a Shure wand mike for interviews. Because the flowers would fit over it easily.

I only met Ruth twice. She came in for the Braun show. It was obvious that there was a "bit" of tension there. In fact Ruth "sat in" in the pre show production meeting and berated Bob as well as Elsa Sule (who was a very nice lady for the most part). Bob was less than kind relative to Ruth in private - and frankly - from what I saw and heard -I don't blame him. Again - I cannot claim to know Ruth. She was the critical old aunt you were intimadated by. EVERYONE treated her with great defference. She was a mean spirited Oprah. My general impression was negative. I met Authur Godfrey - seemed like a nice man. BTW Rudee Vallee was an ass - could tell a story - the estate might sue me?

Relative to to Bonnie Lou and Ruby Wright - Didn't know Ruby. Bonnie was more interested in her husbands furniture biz (Milt I believe). Coleen Sharp was by far the niceest and most talented. IMHO.

Old 10-24-2010, 07:57 PM

246 posts, read 1,048,824 times
Well now, here's something that might be of interest to fans of this thread:

Flickr: CINCINNATI TV & RADIO HISTORY's Photostream (http://www.flickr.com/photos/30457287@N07/ - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati