Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 09:33 AM

14 posts, read 18,229 times

Advertisements

Hi there!
We are considering a move from Southern NJ to the Cincinnati area. We really love where we are now, and many of the areas of Cincinnati look comparable, but I have a hard time figuring out where to focus - everything looks great!
Our specific needs are: great schools (public is awesome)
Our wants are: Good lacrosse and swim programs, good school choral programs, liberal-ish politics, short (<20 min.) commute
Nice to have: Cool old architecture :-), good restaurants, fun neighborhood social scene - not dependent on a country club.

Commute would be to downtown, Fountain square Area.

In terms of price-point, we're pretty open. Thinking max of $1,000,000 but totally happy to go much lower!

We looked @ Indian Hill, but I'm wondering if it's perhaps too "elite", i.e., we'd be considered needy there. (Difficult to tell town/neighborhood's attitude online! :-/)
And Hyde Park looks nice but I'm concerned about the high school...
And Wyoming looks quite nice.
And KY seems like a viable option too - but where?

Any advice/input is welcome! Thanks in advance. :-)

Last edited by laurajo212; 07-28-2014 at 10:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2014, 09:52 AM

465 posts, read 658,698 times
Cincinnati has all of your wants, so that shouldn't be much of a problem. Outside of Indian Hill, which can be snobby but is a fine choice if you choose to live there, the best public schools with strong choral programs and somewhat liberal-ish neighborhoods that feed them are Wyoming, the SCPA (School for Creative and Performing Arts downtown,) Walnut Hills High School, Withrow and Clark Montessori. Those last four are all city high schools and require an admission application as long as you live in city boundaries, but it's not a difficult process. The SCPA obviously is geared for those that are thinking about music as a career, the rest are more of your typical college prep oriented high schools. I'd concentrate on Wyoming if you're wanting to live in a suburban environment, or if you prefer the city, Mt. Adams, Hyde Park or possibly the Clifton Gaslight area as alternatives in your situation. Other neighborhoods that fit your economic demographic get conservative (I'd include Indian Hill in this, actually) and you may be a fish out of water politically.

Old 07-28-2014, 09:57 AM

410 posts, read 586,903 times
Hi Laurajo,
In the city limits you are correct to consider Hyde Park, Mt. Lookout and East Walnut Hills as good neighborhood options. They tend to have older architecture and a vibrant social scene. These neighborhoods are minutes from the highway and very close to Downtown.

Cincinnati Public Schools would be the public schools option for these neighborhoods. Walnut Hills I would probably be your first choice for a public High School. It does require the students to test in and is academically rigorous. The music/ arts program is very good and their are LAX teams for both boys and girls.

There are multiple private school options in the area as well. Summit Country Day in Hyde Park is a private, Catholic coed school that has very good academics and sports. Seven Hills is private, secular and coed with strong academics and good sports.

Good luck!

Old 07-28-2014, 09:58 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,795,375 times
OP ... If you want a 20 minute commute to Fountain Square, stick with Hyde Park. Hyde Park has the best schools in the CPS system, with WHHS rated the top in the state.

Lacrosse is increasing in popularity, but is still not a top sport here. The Cincinnati Marlins is a swim team founded in 1961. They are based on the west side and offer a lot for competitive swimming.

Old 07-28-2014, 10:01 AM

Thanks, RustBeltOptimist! You read my mind: Finding like-minded neighbors is actually more important than I indicated - it took us YEARS to find our crew here in South Jersey. Any thoughts on KY?

Last edited by laurajo212; 07-28-2014 at 10:10 AM..

Old 07-28-2014, 10:09 AM

Thanks Mimi and KJBrill! This is great advice! I am nervous about the "testing in" to Walnut Hills: if my kids are generally 90th percentile in a decent district, do you think they'd have a chance?

I did find the Marlins site. Love it. I think it's perfect. And summer swim teams seem to be plentiful as well.

LAX is secondary to swim but it's so fun we want to be sure it's still available as an option. Also, may be pushing my luck, but do you know if Flag football is available in these areas? Our town here has a really fun and community-oriented flag program. Just a nice to have, but lots of fun.

My daughter is in the Philly Girls Choir. I see there's a Cincinnati Children's Choir. any insight on that?

Thanks again!

Old 07-28-2014, 10:45 AM

3,513 posts, read 5,159,743 times
In KY, Ft. Thomas would be by far your best option. And it's a really good option, so I would not pass it up.
The biggest negative would probably be that you would have to rely on I471 to get to work. From what I understand now, traffic is ok, but if the Brent Soence is fixed or replaced soon it could cause some traffic headaches to NKY over the next few years.

Otherwise, neither Maderia not Mariemont have been mentioned yet. Both may be ideal options for you, especially Mariemont. It is a 1930s era planned community with green space, lots of sidewalks and walking trails, a village center, etc. and the schools are great!

It should also be mentioned that Catholic schools around here may better match the type of academic environment you are seeking in general. Ohio public schools are excellent, but the Catholic schools have better Lacrosse / more of an east coast prep school culture. If you do choose CPS, Covington's Millionaires row, Bellvue, etc. no need to worry because Catholic school culture is strong.

Good luck!

Old 07-28-2014, 11:36 AM

60 posts, read 166,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laurajo212 View Post

I am nervous about the "testing in" to Walnut Hills: if my kids are generally 90th percentile in a decent district, do you think they'd have a chance?
70th percentile on a national test gets you into Walnut Hills.

Old 07-28-2014, 11:47 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,795,375 times
OP ... And don't forget Walnut Hills starts in the 7th grade. So if you test in in the 7th grade they are not likely to throw you out long as grades are maintained.

Old 07-28-2014, 12:17 PM

Thanks for the additional insights - I feel better about the Walnut Hills option, and Seven Hills seems like a cool (but PRICEY) alternative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati