Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2008, 01:12 PM

4 posts, read 9,825 times

Advertisements

Hi all!

I have been reading through these helpful forums trying to gather information for my next move. I will be working in the University of Cincinnati area but plan to live on the KY side. I am newly married with no children and plan on living there for at least 2 years. My research suggests that Fort Thomas may be a good place to look for places to rent but I'm open to suggestions.

My primary needs are:
- quiet neighborhood
- affordable middle class housing (preferably house or townhome)
- keeping the commute real short

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2008, 06:17 PM

205 posts, read 985,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooovin View Post
Hi all!

I have been reading through these helpful forums trying to gather information for my next move. I will be working in the University of Cincinnati area but plan to live on the KY side. I am newly married with no children and plan on living there for at least 2 years. My research suggests that Fort Thomas may be a good place to look for places to rent but I'm open to suggestions.

My primary needs are:
- quiet neighborhood
- affordable middle class housing (preferably house or townhome)
- keeping the commute real short

Thanks!
With the housing market the way it is, there may be some lease opportunities available from people trying to sell their homes.

What's the longest that you may be here?

Old 03-21-2008, 02:04 PM

I anticipate being there for 3 years. Not sure where my career will take me after that.

I am currently looking into a condo on Nelson Place in Newport, KY. Any comments?

Old 03-21-2008, 02:45 PM

205 posts, read 985,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooovin View Post
I anticipate being there for 3 years. Not sure where my career will take me after that.

I am currently looking into a condo on Nelson Place in Newport, KY. Any comments?
The building that I think you're talking about is a 12 unit former high-end apartment building that was built in 1895. Kind of like a much smaller version of Avondale's Belvedere.

It was purchased by a local rehabber who started the rehab work but went under. Sales of the units that have been rehabbed have not been very successful (sales of that type of product - like the Hannaford down the street - have not been either) and I think all but one of the 6 that are currently rehabbed are now rented.

I think it was a pretty basic rehab without a lot of frills but since there is a new developer there now the plan may have changed somewhat. The unit that I know of that is available is a former model.

There is a $275 per month HOA fee which I think is included in the $1200 monthly rent.

The location is good - East Newport has always been desirable, moreso now because of the Levee.

Old 03-21-2008, 07:34 PM

710 posts, read 3,049,060 times
newport or covington

Old 03-22-2008, 08:33 AM

Thanks for the great info. After looking at my schedule over the next few weeks, I am leaning toward renting rather than buying. I was able to find some pictures of the condo at Nelson Pl: NKYRents.com

Of course, I will be visiting Newport and looking at a few more options before I decide.

Old 01-23-2009, 08:37 PM

1 posts, read 2,157 times
Default NKY areas

Covington and Newport are OK if you don't mind the crime rate and lack of ROI. Ft. Thomas is really overpriced, and the people tend to be pretty snobby. I've lived here all my life and can tell you for the price, Park Hills, Ft. Wright and Ft. Mitchell will give you a much better return on your investment. Both are 5-8 minutes from the river, and the neighborhoods are safe, well-kept and friendly. I'm actually selling my 4 bdrm 3 bath that's 1 mile off I71-75 in Ft. Wright. Perfect location, dead-end street, wooded lot, totally updated - I could ride my bike to work in about 20 minutes (downhill) if I needed to (downtown). Asking $225K. I'll send pics if interested. 128 Basswood Circle.
[email]intheflesch@gmail.com[/email]

Last edited by intheflesch; 01-23-2009 at 08:38 PM.. Reason: added content
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati