Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 06:55 AM

213 posts, read 674,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan Guy View Post
From the website, Metropolis looks like its still open.
Yeah it is still there but it has an awful reputation and it actually sits outside of the mall on top of the parking garage. It's nothing like the ones that were once in the actual Mall.

The clubs / bars Forest Fair had in the 90's were really awesome. They had Bourbon Street, a country bar/club I think called Cheyenne Cattle Co. or something like that and a few others spots. I remember going there many times back in the 90's. The places were always packed. I loved going to Bourbon Street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2010, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytonnatian View Post
Biggs, as a chain, is actually holding its own right now and is doing pretty well from what I've seen. There are other locations throughout the Cincy area, and I think it might (?) be connected to Supervalu.

The mall location, I believe, was actually in good shape, and despite the mall crashing, I was really suprised to see it go. I thought it had a real strong base.

Anyways, the weird thing is that you could still enter the mall through the former store for at least a year or so after it closed, and maybe you are still able to. The old shelves were still in place, too, which was really weird.
It's all still there abandoned, but you cannot enter anymore down that way or walk down that way. They have barriers up blocking people from going down that far into the mall. You can see through the barriers, but it is all dark. It is an eerie place somewhat. I still enjoy walking through the mall even though there are maybe only 15 stores left in the entire place.

Old 07-08-2010, 07:19 PM

50 posts, read 178,541 times
Cincinnati Mills is definitely an eerie but interesting place. It's featured on deadmalls.com too. I actually ventured into some of the restricted areas and snapped some fairly decent pics. It kind of reminded me of when I sneaked into Michigan Central Station. I'll proceed to shut my mouth before I incriminate myself.

Old 07-12-2010, 02:58 PM

4 posts, read 28,392 times
Forest Fair Mall holds a small place in my heart. When I moved to Ohio at the age of 14, the first place I went was FFM. I'll never forget being amazed by the indoor Ferris wheel and all the games. They even had a Virtual Reality place there. I remember thinking that was the coolest thing of all time.

More importantly, since I lived in Fairfield, as a teenager in a town with nothing to do, we spent every Friday night at the mall. And every other "freaky" teenager in the area showed up too. Ahh, the times we had avoiding the Mall Rent-A-Cops. Sitting around chain smoking (cause you could still smoke indoors there). We never spent any money. Some times we'd go to the cheap movie theater there, but get in free since we knew everyone that worked there. Those were some fun days.

Then one day, they made it no smoking and kicked everyone out. They started rounding up all the kids and making them sit out side until they got picked up. Shortly there after, the mall really went down hill.

I don't even see Cincinnati Mills/Mall as a real thing. I moved away for several years, and when I was gone, they changed everything, but it still was empty.

Old 07-12-2010, 04:40 PM

267 posts, read 722,042 times
today they was tearing down the old theater at northgate.. wanting to put in a new one
they should put one where pennys sat

Old 07-20-2010, 09:56 AM

577 posts, read 1,280,053 times
I'll have to dig around to see if I can find some old photos and information. I worked for bigg's at Forest Fair Mall when it first opened in 1988. That section of the mall opened about a year before the rest of it. From what I remember from the bigg's section there was a travel agency, a hair salon, CompUSA, and I believe a Japanese steak house (that may have come a little later).

I was there for the grand opening and the place was just amazing. I can't even remember all of the stores that were there at the time of the opening other than Bonwit Tellers, Sakowitz, B. Altman, and the bars in Bourbon Street Live (there was a sports bar, a Gators, Cheyenne, Fat Tuesdays, and Burbanks). I know there was a J. Riggins in the mall because that is where I bought all of my bad 80's clothes. There was also a sporting goods store located on the upper level near the parking garage. I don't remember the name, but I bought a pair of ski's there.

Sakowitz became Elder Beerman then Johnny's Toys, then Steve & Berrys. I remember that you could walk through that area in between stores actually being there.

Moore's Fitness came later on. Moore's occupied the upper level where part of the food court was.

Old 07-20-2010, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deg1114 View Post
I'll have to dig around to see if I can find some old photos and information. I worked for bigg's at Forest Fair Mall when it first opened in 1988. That section of the mall opened about a year before the rest of it. From what I remember from the bigg's section there was a travel agency, a hair salon, CompUSA, and I believe a Japanese steak house (that may have come a little later).

I was there for the grand opening and the place was just amazing. I can't even remember all of the stores that were there at the time of the opening other than Bonwit Tellers, Sakowitz, B. Altman, and the bars in Bourbon Street Live (there was a sports bar, a Gators, Cheyenne, Fat Tuesdays, and Burbanks). I know there was a J. Riggins in the mall because that is where I bought all of my bad 80's clothes. There was also a sporting goods store located on the upper level near the parking garage. I don't remember the name, but I bought a pair of ski's there.

Sakowitz became Elder Beerman then Johnny's Toys, then Steve & Berrys. I remember that you could walk through that area in between stores actually being there.

Moore's Fitness came later on. Moore's occupied the upper level where part of the food court was.
Great memories! I was there for the Grand Opening as well although I cant specifically remember everything about it. I didn't know there was a Sakowitz there before it became Elder Beerman. For some reason I assumed Elder Beerman was there from the beginning. Bourbon Street Live was an awesome place. It was always hopping. I was in my partying prime back then and that is where the majority of my club scene years were spent. I still remember the famous Techno Room in Bourbon Street. To this day it was probably the best single club room I've been in.

Was there a Parisian there when it first opened or did that come later too?

The Mall was awesome when it first opened from a store and entertainment standpoint. It is still a mystery to me today how it didn't make it, yet places like Northgate and Tri-County did. It must have been the lack of good, reliable anchor stores or incredibly high rental space.

Old 07-20-2010, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montrell View Post
Was there a Parisian there when it first opened or did that come later too?
Parisian came after the opening of the mall after either Bonwit Teller or B. Altman closed - I cannot remember which one was in that location. Parisian moved to Kenwood and Bass Pro Shops occupies that space. Of course Parisian closed in Kenwood and that is where the Nordstrom is located.

I remember the techno club too. That was great - didn't they have fog machines in there? Yea, I probably spent too much of my younger days in those clubs!

Old 07-20-2010, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deg1114 View Post
Parisian came after the opening of the mall after either Bonwit Teller or B. Altman closed - I cannot remember which one was in that location. Parisian moved to Kenwood and Bass Pro Shops occupies that space. Of course Parisian closed in Kenwood and that is where the Nordstrom is located.

I remember the techno club too. That was great - didn't they have fog machines in there? Yea, I probably spent too much of my younger days in those clubs!
Thanks man. Now that I think of it I think I do remember the B Altman being there.

LOL Yeah they sure did have a fog machine in there. I remember it well. That place was great fun!

Old 07-20-2010, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montrell View Post
LOL Yeah they sure did have a fog machine in there. I remember it well. That place was great fun!
I blame my poor memory on that fog machine (and way too many nights at Bourbon Street Live).

What was the name of the techno place? I know it will come to me eventually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati