Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2009, 08:42 PM

405 posts, read 890,857 times

Advertisements

I wanted to look into how the prices are faring in classic Cincinnati vacation home areas...but being new here I don't know where these would be. Somewhere in Kentucky? Michigan? Would appreciate any advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2009, 07:43 AM

710 posts, read 3,045,077 times
Traverse City in Michigan has many Cincinnatians with vacation homes.

Old 02-27-2009, 05:58 PM

405 posts, read 890,857 times
Hmm- thats 500 miles away. Is there any place closer, eg in Kentucky? Maybe this is the wrong forum to ask and wrong economic time to bring it up. We are living in an apartment having sold our old house and moved here. We got this crazy idea of living in an apartment full time and getting a (cheaper) vacation home elsewhere where we could store a bunch of stuff from the old house, and go for short trips. Like I said, might be a stupid idea.

Old 03-03-2009, 07:25 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Cumberland is pretty popular, houseboats and otherwise. Likewise SE Ohio -- Hocking Hills and those areas.

Old 03-03-2009, 08:04 AM

560 posts, read 2,075,778 times
I'm new to the area too, so I can't speak to where most Cincinnatians would buy a vaction home. And honestly, there aren't too many places under 500 miles away that really scream "vacation" destination to me.

My suggestions:

- Asheville NC and surrounds. Its one of the most touristy and vacationy areas within an easy day's drive (350 miles and under 6 hours)
- Lexington and surrounds. Beautiful country side. Kind of a lame option because it's so close and you won't have any change in climate. But it's less than 2 hours away so it's even ideal for a weekend trip.
- West Virginia. Not exactly know as a vacation hotspot, but rural WV has some GORGEOUS hills and mountain scenery. It's way rednecky, but your money could probably buy you a nice chunk of acerage, if that's what you're in to. (under 4 hours away for the most part)

Old 03-03-2009, 09:36 AM

204 posts, read 744,753 times
Look around the south side of Lake Cumberland. It is @ a 3 hour drive, the climate is much warmer than here, and it's only about 1/2 hour to Tennessee. Most of the area around the lake is dry {i.e. no alcohol sales}, but the town of Burnside on the south side of the lake is moist {alcohol sales allowed in certain establishments}.

Old 03-03-2009, 10:58 AM

2,206 posts, read 3,294,621 times
Default Brookville Indiana

If you're just looking to get out of the city, try the area around Brookville Indiana. Not even 90 minutes and you can be in a rural area with a good size lake & hiking trails. Cheap to buy a small home. This is not your resort spot but has always been a very easy to do relaxing weekend retreat.

Old 03-03-2009, 12:47 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,462,852 times
The most popular 2nd home vacation area for Cincinnati residents is no doubt Lake Cumberland. However, it is a long unpleasant drive for a weekend because southbound I75 traffic on a Friday evening and the return on Sunday are just horrible. The popularity stems from the lack of limitations on boat horsepower and the relaxed attitude of water police toward drunken boating. Two more good reasons not to look at LAke Cumberland.

The suggestion of Brookville is a good one and you might also consider Adams County's Amish area around Brush Creek for a quiet weekend retreat (no big lake like Brookville has though).

The wealthy folks from around here have gravitated to western and northern Michigan from the White Lake region in western Michigan to Traverse City as has been mentioned and to Charlevoix, PEtoskey and even across the Mackinac Bridge to such places as St. Ignace. Black flies are good enough reason to avoid these places.

Good economic sense says don't buy a vacation home anywhere, but whatever your choices are, good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati