Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 03:24 PM

4 posts, read 15,027 times

Advertisements

Looking to purchase a home soon, wanted to know about the smaller airports and noise. Such as Lunken, Blue Ash, and which ever else I may have missed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2009, 04:15 PM

1,597 posts, read 2,148,392 times
I don't think the homes in the Lunken vicinity experience much of a noise problem because of the setting of the airport. It lies in a valley surrounded by hills on the east and northwest, the Ohio river to the south, and a golf course/recreation area to the north, with even more recreational area and fields to the north of that. The flight paths don't go over the residential areas of the hills because it would make the descent or ascent too steep for the planes. Instead, they run basically north/south. The times I've been to Alms Park, I've never heard the noise from the planes down below, yet you can clearly see them coming and going. The only ones that might incur some sort of noise would be Fort Thomas directly across the river. But I doubt it's much of an issue over there.

I can't speak for Blue Ash. It does have residential areas to the east and west, but I simply don't know what the noise levels would be like in those areas.

Now, as for Butler County Regional...I live about 3.5 miles west of there, and at times there are some pretty loud private jets that fly overhead. But it's honestly not that often....maybe once or twice a day, if even that. It's mostly props and you really don't hear those too loudly unless you're closer to Bypass 4. I hear MANY more loud trains going through than I do planes. So that's also something you might want to keep in mind.

Old 04-25-2009, 08:36 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,480,869 times
Lunken landing and take off is almost always on runway 25, east to west (slightly southwest. I can see the planes approach but cannot hear them from my house 2.5 miles from the runway. Take off is to the West, then a sharp left turn to the south to avoid heading into CVG traffic. They will do a full 270 degree rotation to go to the northwest to avoid the big air port. Jet departures can be heard when they take off west to east. Biggest noise is UC Medi-copter which goes right over my house about once a day.

Old 04-25-2009, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
Lunken landing and take off is almost always on runway 25, east to west (slightly southwest. I can see the planes approach but cannot hear them from my house 2.5 miles from the runway. Take off is to the West, then a sharp left turn to the south to avoid heading into CVG traffic. They will do a full 270 degree rotation to go to the northwest to avoid the big air port. Jet departures can be heard when they take off west to east. Biggest noise is UC Medi-copter which goes right over my house about once a day.
You're right about the direction of the runway. For some reason I always think of the Ohio River as being south of the airport, when it's actually west. My bad.

Old 04-26-2009, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquila View Post
You're right about the direction of the runway. For some reason I always think of the Ohio River as being south of the airport, when it's actually west. My bad.
The most amazing thing is to go out to Coney Island and walk down to the river, the city lights from downtown are almost directly across the river. Its pretty counterintuitive.

When the planes approach Lunken, the landing lights shine directly into my bedroon windows. I can't see the airport because I'm on the other side of the Ault Park ridge about where the Observatory is. . Its not bothersome at all because they are 2.5 miles out. Its fun to watch, so I got a radio that gets airport radio.

Old 04-26-2009, 12:26 PM

I used to like to go over to the viewing lot next to CVG to watch them come and go. At one time they used to fly right over the lot as they were coming in for a landing, and it was so cool to see them that close. Loud, but cool. I always wanted to see them taking off over me, but have never been able to find a spot where I can sit and watch that happen.

Old 04-28-2009, 06:47 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,205,836 times
On rare occasions a jet bound for Lunken would fly over my house in Madison Place. I'd wave to the folks looking out the windows; sometimes they'd wave back.

Old 04-28-2009, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquila View Post
I used to like to go over to the viewing lot next to CVG to watch them come and go. At one time they used to fly right over the lot as they were coming in for a landing, and it was so cool to see them that close. Loud, but cool. I always wanted to see them taking off over me, but have never been able to find a spot where I can sit and watch that happen.
Do you remember the scene from Wayne's World? Back in the dawn of time, 1963 or so, there was a subdivision across from CVG. We called it "The Circles" because it was a series of streets, circles and cul d sacs of a subdivision that had been abandoned by the developer. So there were weeds and small trees and the like, but all the streets were in. It was totally private day or night. It was THE place in northern KY for drinking sex and misbehavior. But the big attraction was that the planes went over The Circles at a very low altitude. You could see the tread on the airplane tires. And this was before airport noise reduction, so it was quite a spectacle.

Old 04-28-2009, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
Do you remember the scene from Wayne's World? Back in the dawn of time, 1963 or so, there was a subdivision across from CVG. We called it "The Circles" because it was a series of streets, circles and cul d sacs of a subdivision that had been abandoned by the developer. So there were weeds and small trees and the like, but all the streets were in. It was totally private day or night. It was THE place in northern KY for drinking sex and misbehavior. But the big attraction was that the planes went over The Circles at a very low altitude. You could see the tread on the airplane tires. And this was before airport noise reduction, so it was quite a spectacle.
I actually remember having sex in my car with someone over there one time.

Just kidding!

But I do recall being on a road on the other side of the airport...probably around 1982-83...and it was right at the end of the runway. I've since tried to remember exactly where that road was, but it may no longer exist since they've expanded.

Old 04-28-2009, 02:42 PM

They actually expanded the airport and 275 wasn't there, so its pretty unrecognizable from what it was. but, looking at the map, it was either where long term parking is or where the Florence Sports Center is. Needless to say, I had the VW Bus with the curtains over the windows and the stickers all over it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati