Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 07:06 AM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times

Advertisements

I can see that neither of you have ever been to Madisonville or Westwood -- beyond maybe driving out Harrison Avenue, or speeding through the intersection of Whetsel and Madison with your eyes shut -- since you describe them as "dumps" or "the hood." Madisonville (where I lived for 13 years) and Westwood (where many of my friends live) both have some of the most solid, well-cared for, and affordable housing stocks in the city. Neighbors are friendly, take care of their homes, and watch out for one another. Most of the homes are owner-occupied. There's a mix of single people, young families, and empty-nesters. People of all races live shoulder to shoulder with few issues. I wouldn't hesitate a moment to encourage anyone to live in either of those neighborhoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2007, 07:51 AM

88 posts, read 251,783 times

I am a white girl that grew up in Cinti under a prejudice family, thus was somewhat prejudice myself. My dad sat at the dinner table and told racial jokes when we were kids. It was all I knew. I went to a HS that was predominantly white with very few AA, of which I became very close friends with one in particular but friendly with a few more. I'm not colored blind, but I don't see good and bad people as black or white...most of Cinti does. I have moved away from there and at one time lived in an area that was less disirable and predominantly white. The one AA family that lived nearby was the classiest family on the block with the nicest house.

My family still makes racial comments and in their classy way tell the jokes at the dinner table during our family get togethers and holidays. Thus the reason I don't spend time with them as much. I have children that I'm trying to raise without prejudice who I want to be colored blind and see people for what they are on the inside. There are places in the nation that have the same demographic breakdown of white/black but seem to deal with the difference and see past the color. Don't get me wrong, the racial issue in Cinti DOES go both ways...the AA hate the whites just as much.

One thing that bothers me is, for example, I love comedians such as Chris Rock...he cracks me up, yet he always brings up racism in his comedy, that's when I quit laughing. It is something that EVERYONE just needs to get over...I did....it can be done. (by the way, when I got married, one of my closest friends was AA and was a bridesmaid...just to get under my family's skin, I had her walk with my brother!!)

Old 04-17-2007, 08:25 PM

292 posts, read 993,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dayton_ohio View Post
When white people in Cincinnati think about blacks in Cincinnati, they think about the riots, the latest black-on-black OTR shooting,
What!? I'm white, I live in Cincinnati and don't think this way.

Old 04-20-2007, 07:19 PM

884 posts, read 2,642,395 times
I can see that neither of you have ever been to Madisonville or Westwood >>>>

Call the police department and see what the crime stats look like for Madisonville.(not district 2 b/c Hyde Park and Mt Lookout will water down the stats) I already told you I have relatives in Madisonville. A few yrs ago there were some articles in the paper about the drug drive thrus. My friend used to work at the Deveroes over there.

Westwood has nice streets but it is NOT a Upper Class area.
--I alreasy commented about Westwood. Been through there and it is NOT impressive.

Last edited by Yac; 04-21-2007 at 03:13 AM.. Reason: personal attack.

Old 04-24-2007, 12:27 AM

246 posts, read 1,057,227 times
Default highliner

Is the Madisonville area getting better or worse? I noticed that the crime reports you mentioned, seemed a little dated. An ex-lover of mine, also a law enforcement blue-hair, is from Westwood, and says to avoid it at all costs. Can these areas really be that awful? The parts we've driven through didn't look too rundown. What do you think?

Old 04-24-2007, 08:15 AM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Madisonville is working hard to turn itself around. The neighborhood council has a lot of plans for the corner at Madison and Whetsel; the city promised some money to fix up and develop the Madison Building (or the Madison Bvilding, as chiseled into the building itself, LOL), and then reneged. I don't know how that issue was ever resolved. There's an active neighborhood watch group that patrols the most troubled streets regularly. Madisonville has one of the higher owner-occupied rates in the city.

Sure, there's trouble, especially in some pockets. But the majority of the housing pockets in Madisonville are well-kept and owned by hard-working people who want the best for their neighborhood.

Madisonville is never going to be the playground of the uber-rich, or even the upper middle class. It never was; it was always a neighborhood with mixed race, mixed income, etc.

Old 04-25-2007, 05:14 PM

36 posts, read 125,241 times
I am sorry that you all feel that way. I have seen many areas in Cincy that are integrated. And I am sorry did you say that Norwood was predominently white? I disagree. I would have to say that Norwood was split between whites and black. As is Pleasant Ridge and Kennedy Heights. As far as being racist, I think that is true for some people, but you can not say that just because there are some racist people that all of us are. I work with many AA people and these people are my best friends, I trust them with my life. Obviously I am a Caucasian person.

As far as no "intergrated Mason" I have seen a very diverse population in Mason, not just AA and white people, but asians and hispanics too!!

I am sorry that some people with big mouths have destroyed our cities integrity, but I definetly dont agree with Cincinnati being racist!!

Old 05-16-2010, 10:20 PM

3 posts, read 6,133 times
Love how black people on here blame it on the applachians,lol,come on now.Why don't the so called Applachian people shoot one another and what ever inocent person in the way?Have you ever seen a white club like the ritz?lol Be for real,who's doing most of the drug dealing and murdering?Why do the white people move away(white flight)?Well what decent parent wants to take a chance on there childs life,or any family member?The racial problems with in the black people of Cincinnati is 99% to be blamed on black people in Cincinnati.There is a very ugly culture in black neighborhoods in Cincinnati,and they only have them selfs to blame for this today.The civil rights movement days are far passed,black people choose to seperate them selfs and live the life style they lead in Cincinnati.Both black,white,etc can be victims to racisim. Like the way black students out number white students in the public schools in cincinnati and bully,attack,and push white students out of the schools.This is part of the culture in my city it seems.Most white people I know in cincinnati begin to hate black people in school,they try hard to turn the other cheek and remember it isn't the whole race but just these individuals,but after a while they give up on that idea.lol,Or atleast thats what I've witnessed and been told.Ever ride a metro bus?Who's in the back cursing,being rude,and hateful towards others?Who is rude to customers unless they're the same race?Who points there finger at others and speaks over others loudly to avoid blamming there selfs?These ugly things are seen in all races,but which one do you see it in the most?Or atleast which one do you see it in the most in cincinnati? Get a african immigrant(which are doing well in cincinnati)what he or she truly thinks,has seen,or belives about the majority of black residents of cincinnati.lol Then get some that isn't black to ask them,p.s. I know why the applachians are getting hated on,when the odds are even they fight back and might woop your ass,then you got to jump them.Love y'all black people,and love all people,just pointing out some truths don't don't alwys get pointed out.

Old 05-16-2010, 10:25 PM

3 posts, read 6,133 times
yes I'm a not the best when it comes to typing,so don't bother saying how dumb I am for making mistakes in my post.........

Old 05-17-2010, 07:35 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,475,197 times
Adam, what I get from your post is that you are pointing out that there are differences in the African American culture that are not attributable to economics, but rather to race. This is a politically incorrect observation on your part. And, when you express it in the "us against them" format, it will draw criticism, sometimes rather harsh. I would suggest that you find a better way to express this. But, your point is important because it is the secrecy of your observation and the public denials that make the problem of black on black crime and violence so intractable. If we could bring ourselves to be honest about this cultural difference, we could begin to solve the problem. But as long as we blame racism, poverty, bad schools, selective prosecution, profiling, etc. we are going nowhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati