Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2007, 06:02 PM

8 posts, read 35,498 times

Advertisements

My husband and I just recently moved to the Cincinnati area. We are looking for a house to buy and we were wondering about the Covedale, Slayer Park, Delhi Hills, Delhi Twsp., Green Twp and Miami Twsp. areas. We have heard some very mixed reviews about these areas and are not sure what is exactly true. Are these areas nice? How is the crime? Is the section 8 housing sections really creating these areas to deteriorate? We are looking for a safe area that we can live in for about 5-7 years. Please help!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2007, 08:30 AM

41,958 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Cincinnati is a city of housing pockets. You can parachute down to any location in the city, turn in any direction and walk one or two miles, and the neighborhood you wind up in will have a completely different feel to the one you landed in.

Covedale and Sayler Park are both within the city limits, and have some very lovely housing pockets. Delhi, Green and Miami townships are outside the city limits, and are as suburban as can be, with cul-de-sacs, limited sidewalks, etc.

As far as safety goes, criminals are mobile. Just because you live in a "nice" neighborhood doesn't mean you're immune to crime. In the so-called "best" neighborhood in Cincinnati, Hyde Park, friends have had their cars/homes repeatedly broken into. I lived in a "less desirable" area of the city, Madisonville, and never had a problem, even when I'd inadvertently leave my doors unlocked -- or even wide open.

My advice would be to drive around in the neighborhoods you're interested in. Look at the homes, how well they're kept, whether you see people out on their yards, walking around, etc. Buy where you feel comfortable, and don't worry about what other people think.

Old 04-11-2007, 08:31 PM

292 posts, read 993,663 times
The only thing I would add is that I would get a map or use google earth to determine the flight line of the Northern Kentucky Greater Cincinnati Airport. I have two west side friends that live a couple of miles from each other. At one house we can go outside and talk. At the other due to his proximity to the flight path of the airplanes, we have to stop talking till the plane passes by. Personally I would not want a house directly in the flight path of the Northern Kentucky Greater Cincinnati Airport. Some Sunday mornings I'll stand on my balcony drink coffee and from a distance watch the planes land one after another. I'm thinking, "Yikes! I'd hate to be living under that racket."

Old 04-11-2007, 11:17 PM

9 posts, read 37,200 times
although some people on this site my tell you to steer clear of westwood, if i were moving to the westside, thats the neighborhood id have at the top of my list. it is cincinnati's largest neighborhood of over 30,000 people. so one persons opinion my be very different from another's depending on which part they are basing their opinion on. id stick with the section just west of Harrison Ave. around Mercy High School. there are some very nice houses on suburban type streets

Old 04-13-2007, 05:37 AM

9 posts, read 83,271 times
Covedale's schools are rated to be very good, they are in the process of building a brand-new Elementary school!
I've been scoping out this neighborhood myself, and I think it's great. There are lots of lovely houses with the German half-timbering...families out doing yard work, kids playing etc, the homes are affordable esp for someone like me, a first-time homebuyer. This elementary is the area "magnet" so to speak, for kids in Cincy's gifted-and-talented program on the West side.

http://covedale.cps-k12.org/

Old 04-13-2007, 06:49 AM

Good advice about the flight paths. For my old job, I spent some time out at Mt. St. Joseph in Delhi -- very lovely area, lots of nice homes. Planes flying overhead about once every five minutes. No thank you!

Old 04-27-2007, 07:06 AM

Fred, didja wake up on the wrong side of the bed this morning?

Not "everyone" on the west side is moving. Some places -- notably east Price Hill, around Warsaw and Glenway -- have had some difficulties lately, but there is a large citizens' group working to change that.

People in Cincinnati are fiercely proud and protective of their neighborhoods. That will be the city's only hope.

Old 05-21-2007, 06:17 PM

5 posts, read 31,487 times
There are good and bad parts on the west side, like everywhere.I live in Covedale and the majority of it is still nice.Make sure and avoid Lower Price Hill, East Westwood, and and part of Fairmount!

Old 08-19-2007, 06:32 PM

4 posts, read 23,298 times
Default West Side

I would not suggest moving to the west side unless you get far away from Downtown. Western Hills, Westwood, Price Hill, Sedamsville, lower Delhi etc. are all overrun with Section 8 welfare trash. Crime is high. If you don't mind a neighborhood full of non working people, pit bulls, and thugs walking the streets with foul mouths, then the west side is the place for you!

Old 08-19-2007, 10:01 PM

292 posts, read 993,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndWelfare View Post
I would not suggest moving to the west side unless you get far away from Downtown. Western Hills, Westwood, Price Hill, Sedamsville, lower Delhi etc. are all overrun with Section 8 welfare trash. Crime is high. If you don't mind a neighborhood full of non working people, pit bulls, and thugs walking the streets with foul mouths, then the west side is the place for you!
EndWelfare,
What you are saying is simply not completely true. Westwood has many fine streets and neighborhoods. Western Hills has many fine streets and neighborhoods. I've yet to see a pit bull, or foul mouth thug walking my street. There is no welfare trash on my street. The only people who don't work on my street are retired. As I live in Westwood, I'd like to know where you are getting your information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati