Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 07:10 PM

76 posts, read 317,045 times

Advertisements

In the sixties, there was a very small store on Vine Street between Sixth and Seventh Streets--maybe it was next to the Enquirer Building. I think it was called Scandinavian Imports, but I may be wrong. They sold jewelry, decor, cards...stuff like that. I always enjoyed going in there. Does anyone remember this business and, if so, do I have the correct name?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2009, 10:29 PM

17,548 posts, read 13,329,500 times
Are you thinking of Saxony Imports?

Old 10-04-2009, 08:26 PM

3,968 posts, read 8,498,863 times
I found this clip from a Cincinnati Magazine from December 1972. It speaks of a shop on Vine Street called The Village Viking in Hartwell. It says they had Scandanavian Imports. I am not real familiar with Cincinnati itself, so I don't know if this might be what you were thinking of.
Attached Thumbnails
Does anyone remember this downtown business?-server1.jpg  

Old 10-08-2009, 01:29 PM

No, I remember Saxony Imports well and I am not confusing this little store with Saxony. This place was definitely downtown on Vine Street and not in Hartwell. I think a tobacconist might be there now and the building may be the old Enquirer building. This was a VERY tiny store--if there were more than four customers in there at a time, it would be crowded. I still have two pieces of jewelry I had purchased there--a little blue wooden horse charm and a carved pine cone charm.

Perhaps the next time I am at the library, I will look it up in an old directory. I would often go downtown on Saturdays as a teenager and it was fun to shop there. I think I just miss the small downtown businesses! (As well as the wonderful five and tens!)

Thanks for responding, Mike 1003 and rrtechno!

Old 10-08-2009, 03:48 PM

17,548 posts, read 13,329,500 times
I remember that store now that you mention it as very tiny!

I just do not remember name

Old 10-08-2009, 04:34 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,465,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkgibb1 View Post
No, I remember Saxony Imports well and I am not confusing this little store with Saxony. This place was definitely downtown on Vine Street and not in Hartwell. I think a tobacconist might be there now and the building may be the old Enquirer building. This was a VERY tiny store--if there were more than four customers in there at a time, it would be crowded. I still have two pieces of jewelry I had purchased there--a little blue wooden horse charm and a carved pine cone charm.

Perhaps the next time I am at the library, I will look it up in an old directory. I would often go downtown on Saturdays as a teenager and it was fun to shop there. I think I just miss the small downtown businesses! (As well as the wonderful five and tens!)

Thanks for responding, Mike 1003 and rrtechno!
The only place I can remember like that downtown was the Mahatma jewelry and gift place in the Carew Tower Arcade on Vine St. It only had room for about 4 people but the lady that ran it had tons of cool stuff in there.

PS, Saxony was on Walnut Street and I can tell you endless stories about Jimmy Schmalo and his brother.

Old 10-08-2009, 07:08 PM

I remember Mahatma...they moved somewhere, but I don't remember where! They had a lot of jewelry from India and yes, that place had room for maybe two people at the most. They always ran an advertisement in The Downtowner, I think.

No, the place I am thinking of definitely dealt in items from Scandinavian countries. I remember those wooden horses from Sweden in all different sizes and colors. I think they had cards and ski sweaters as well as jewelry.

Also, I am not thinking of Hansa either, which I believe is still in business on Ludlow in Clifton. They used to be downtown on Seventh, I think, between Vine and Walnut...not sure.

I keep getting this fleeting memory of being in this Scandinavian Imports one day when it was snowing outside...maybe they were getting in Christmas items. It was just such a pleasant setting...like something out of an old movie.

I went to school with someone named Mitchell Schmalo years and years ago--this was at Bond Hill. Did Saxony ever move around the corner to Race Street?

Old 10-09-2009, 04:39 PM

204 posts, read 744,823 times
Mahatma moved to the Gateway Quarter, which is Vine Street in Over-The0Rhine
The Little Mahatma Shop

And, Saxony Imports is on Sixth & Race.
Saxony Imports - Premiere Swarovski Dealer

Sorry, but I don't know anything about the Scandinavian store.

Old 03-04-2010, 04:34 PM

63 posts, read 159,578 times
Does anybody remember Hershmans downtown? Norm Cummings? Cummins Owned it. I remember going there as a kid and using the fluoroscope to see if my shoes fit. My sister fit her head in once neet. Hands feet arms things from home. All good. Had a sporting goods dept. Surplus rifles in barrels, #1 Enfields sold for $3.88. New pellet gun $3.00. Do you remember the Lincoln and Washington's Birthday sales? Total mayhem.

Last edited by Woody1950; 03-04-2010 at 04:44 PM.. Reason: owners name

Old 03-07-2010, 12:23 PM

63 posts, read 159,578 times
Does anyone remember Trivits owned by Walter Johnson? Hippie type shop antiques ect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati