Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 07:36 AM

2 posts, read 7,322 times

Advertisements

Wait Hoyt broadcast from WCPO off McMillan St. For out of town games he would get the game feed off the wire and then improv the play by play. As a kid we would go to the station and look in the window at him doing this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
How many of you remember Waite Hoyt, the radio voice of the Reds from 1942 to 1965? What I remember about Waite is how he could fill the time during a rain delay, with his seemingly endless stream of stories. What many Reds fans still do not recognize is he was a Hall of Fame pitcher who later became an even greater Hall of Fame broadcaster.

One of the things I will not forget is Waite's pitches for Burger Beer, made from pure artesian well water. Yes, artrisian wells right off the bank of the Ohio river. Hey you Pittsburgh fans, I suspect Rolling Rock and Iron City were no better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2011, 07:43 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,799,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob lipka View Post
Wait Hoyt broadcast from WCPO off McMillan St. For out of town games he would get the game feed off the wire and then improv the play by play. As a kid we would go to the station and look in the window at him doing this.
I welcome your input and know it is true. Does anyone know how after his playing days were over Waite came to Cincinnati and became the voice of the Reds for so many years? I just remember how he contributed to the great baseball tradition of Cincinnati.

Old 04-06-2011, 07:19 PM

205 posts, read 984,496 times
When I was in high school I sold tickets at Crosley Field. For night games Waite Hoyt used to enter the park around 5 or 5:30 through the office entrance under the left field stands. I saw him quite often and he seemed like a very friendly, down to earth guy.

Old 06-25-2011, 09:13 PM

8 posts, read 17,108 times
There is actually a 2 volume vinyl set of recordings called "Waite Hoyt In The Rain". The stuff is really marvelous...some of the Reds teams he called the games for were absolutely abyssmal. His rain delay stories were astounding. He had roomed with Babe Ruth. Anyway, I believe there are outfits from which you can now purchase remastered CDs of the set.

Old 06-26-2011, 03:14 PM

17,581 posts, read 13,355,792 times

YouTube - ‪Waite Hoyt - Spring Grove Cemetery‬‏

Old 07-14-2013, 05:43 AM

8 posts, read 9,977 times
Waite Hoyt was one of the all-time great baseball broadcasters. We used to look forward to rainouts because Hoyt could talk, literally for HOURS about his baseball experiences. My dad, who died in 1990, would laugh until tears came to his eyes listening to Hoyt's stories. I have a record that was made in the 1960's, "Waite Hoyt in the Rain". I wouldn't take a million dollars for it. He was the best.

Old 07-14-2013, 05:47 AM

8 posts, read 9,977 times
When the Cardinals played in Sportsman's Park, in St. Louis, there was a large scoreboard at the top of the bleachers in left center field. There was a clock atop the scoreboard. The clock featured a red neon Eagle that would flap its wings when a Cardinal hit a homer. The Reds' Wally Post once hit a tremendous shot in St. Louis, that hit the clock. Waite Hoyt reported that the eagle turned GREEN.

Old 07-14-2013, 06:39 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,799,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumblebum View Post
When the Cardinals played in Sportsman's Park, in St. Louis, there was a large scoreboard at the top of the bleachers in left center field. There was a clock atop the scoreboard. The clock featured a red neon Eagle that would flap its wings when a Cardinal hit a homer. The Reds' Wally Post once hit a tremendous shot in St. Louis, that hit the clock. Waite Hoyt reported that the eagle turned GREEN.
Those are great quotes. Wally Post, the St Henry strongman. Should be on the all-eveytime Reds teams.

Old 07-14-2013, 09:29 AM

172 posts, read 254,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumblebum View Post
Waite Hoyt was one of the all-time great baseball broadcasters. We used to look forward to rainouts because Hoyt could talk, literally for HOURS about his baseball experiences. My dad, who died in 1990, would laugh until tears came to his eyes listening to Hoyt's stories. I have a record that was made in the 1960's, "Waite Hoyt in the Rain". I wouldn't take a million dollars for it. He was the best.

Old 07-14-2013, 09:31 AM

172 posts, read 254,675 times
You can listen to some of this at the following link:

The Best of Waite Hoyt in the Rain « bblog
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati