Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2016, 08:41 PM

1 posts, read 490 times

Advertisements

I was trying to think of the name of the hosiery store that was near Shillito's. It had "stockings" that hooked onto a garter belt before pantyhose ruled the day. It was a neat store that sold all things feminine that you would never find today, it's nothing like the sexy stores like Victoria's Secret, not at all, these were functional necessary, yet feminine and classy stores, never a chain store. They had nylons in every shade but not so many as to be ridiculous and constantly out of stock because of so much variety like you find these days. They sold gloves, garter belts, girdles, slips and undergarments. It was so special to go there and have the same lady actually help you every time. She would pull out the thin, pink boxes with the delicate nylons neatly packed with tissue paper inside. Packaging in those days was part of the allure. Things were packed for beauty, not for protection against shoplifting. It was so satisfying to go shopping, a totally tactile and visual experience. At 12 years old, I would take the bus by myself downtown from the suburbs, you would always see someone you knew at the bus terminal and never did I feel unsafe. A mother nowadays would never let her 12-year-old ride the bus to a downtown area and shop all day. I had my collection of stores that I would go to and ones I avoided because they were not very nice and had cheap looking stuff. LOL, as if we had any money except for our babysitting dollars. But even at that age we had acquired knowledge of the difference between quality and quantity. It was a special time and one that I am glad that I have memories of. I just got in on it because this was just before the explosion of the suburbs and strip malls and mega malls. Shopping has never been as much fun as back in those glory days of fine stores with lifetime dedicated employees, beautiful packaging and loyal customers. The clothes were all made in America at fine factories that made clothing to last for 25 years and they did, even longer. It was such a pleasure to get something new. I recognize all the names you have spoken of in this thread and remember others not mentioned such as McAlpins, Pogues, Mabley and Carew was mentioned above and of course Shillito's was the most popular at our house. Who can forget the Cupboard? Not sure if that is how they spelled it. What a fanciful store!!! Anyway, if anyone remembers the name of the hosiery store, could you please post it? Thank you so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati