Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2007, 07:51 PM

4 posts, read 41,150 times

Advertisements

We are relocating to Cincinnati soon, and we are trying to figure out if we want to live in the city or in the suburbs. We recognize that Cincinnati public schools are generally considered subpar, and we are therefore thinking that private school might be the best option for our kids. To make that financially feasible, though, we need the combination of the mortgage, insurance, and property taxes to remain under a certain threshold. We've been trying to gauge how property taxes vary around the area, but a few google searches have yet to turn up a site that sums everything up.

Any suggestions for figuring out what taxes might be in the various localities? Many thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2007, 10:24 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
The Hamilton County auditor's website should help.

Basically, if you're going to be working in Cincinnati proper, paying the city income tax of 2.1 percent, and are planning to send your kids to private schools, living in the city might be the best option. Cincinnati hasn't added on a load of property taxes (although the county has!), and you're paying the income tax at work anyway. Also, the city services I have always found excellent, from trash collection to street repairs, and you don't pay extra for any of that, either.

Check the 'burbs carefully for stuff like assessments, trash collection fees, etc. Some of them will nickel and dime you to death!

Good luck!

Old 06-06-2007, 07:15 PM

292 posts, read 993,663 times
One other thing, I beleive if you build a new house or buy a new house within the City of Cincinnati limits you get a property tax abatement for 15 years. It might be worth looking into as I think it also applies to condominiums.

Old 06-07-2007, 05:24 PM

Default Tax abatement program

Here's the link for the tax abatement program: City of Cincinnati -Apply for Tax Abatement

I haven't read it closely enough to see how new the house to be in order to qualify.

Old 06-09-2007, 07:12 PM

254 posts, read 983,207 times
Try this link

http://www.cincybusinessmag.com/medi.../RTB-top47.pdf

Old 06-15-2007, 07:13 AM

Default That's good stuff.

Thanks, cincylifer. I enjoyed browsing through that attachment, and after exploring the domain a little more, I also found some good stuff about the schools around Cincinnati.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
View detailed profiles of: