Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 01:17 PM

18 posts, read 29,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
Middy, when there were more people living in OTR there were probably some that shopped at Smitty's. OK, maybe 50 years ago. Maybe ask your parents why you only remember "walking by" Smitty's. Perhaps it is because a school age child does not need a pink suit or white plastic boots?

My awareness of Vine and McMicken came in the early 60's and by then the police had set aside upper Vine St. as a free zone for crime. People were getting sex in their cars for money in front of Smitty's in 1985. Drugs sold openly on the street and the white gangs and then later the black gangs controlled the corner by violence. So there may have been a time, but it doesn't change my view of it. By the time Ashcraft ran that store it was not a place fit for citizens. I said before and it is true, that he may not have known any better and just fell into a pattern that he did not create or fully understand. But if someone had made me king, I would have bulldozed the entire block without a moment's remorse.

It is somewhat refreshing, however, to see such support for entreprenurial capitalism. I think there is a sentiment that has been expressed here that if a man can make a living without actually being a criminal, even if he caters to criminals, that is a good thing. Because he is supporting himself and others with his actions, legally. Boy, I wish we had more of that laissez-faire sentiment when it comes to American business in general.
Most of his day to day customers were older. they were not criminal. at prom or the holidays there was a younger crowd. until the riots around the holidays and the cool jazz fest there were so many people we had to lock them out and they would form a line to come in.
do you even live in cincinnati? do you come to OTR? you really don't know much if you do. maybe you need to get out more?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2010, 01:51 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,484,138 times
You have 4 posts on City Data Forum. An anonymous poster with a fake name who has registered on City Data to post 4 posts all of which are aimed at attacking me. Would you find it interesting that there is not a single person in the entire U.S. who has the name "Amdrea Ashford?" Do I smell a rat here?

Old 08-20-2010, 03:14 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,981,059 times
Quote:
You have 4 posts on City Data Forum. An anonymous poster with a fake name who has registered on City Data to post 4 posts all of which are aimed at attacking me. Would you find it interesting that there is not a single person in the entire U.S. who has the name "Amdrea Ashford?" Do I smell a rat here?
I just did an exhaustive search, and I couldn't find a single person in the entire US named Wilson1010, either! What an incredible coincidence.

Sarah "Not My Real Name" Perry

Old 08-20-2010, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Perry View Post
I just did an exhaustive search, and I couldn't find a single person in the entire US named Wilson1010, either! What an incredible coincidence.

Now, Sarah, you said recently that I had flamed you. Will you just direct me to that post, just to have the record correct?

Old 08-20-2010, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Perry View Post

Not so exhaustive, I'm afraid. My screen name which is also my email address and part of my phone number Googles 4220 web pages all of which refer to me. My full name, including my middle initial as a single search term yields 776,000 web pages. I used wilson1010 so that you could find me if you wanted to. You anonymous people make me want to puke. You hide behind your little computer screen and make smart alec remarks. I stand behind the statements I make on this forum.

Last edited by Wilson513; 08-20-2010 at 04:35 PM..

Old 08-20-2010, 07:02 PM

621 posts, read 1,210,637 times
^Try Andrea Ashford, Wilson. She's Larry's daughter. Read the article in the OP again. Amdrea/Andrea....same person, I presume?

Old 08-21-2010, 04:28 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,981,059 times
Quote:
Now, Sarah, you said recently that I had flamed you. Will you just direct me to that post, just to have the record correct?
I'm not going to direct you to it, but I'll re-quote what I think you're probably referring to, since you asked so nicely! No more from me on this topic, though.

"If you always let Wilson have the last word when he disagrees with you or flames you, no argument can develop."

Old 08-21-2010, 08:04 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,809,206 times
OK boys and girls, just calm down a bit. The man in question was either a Saint or a Bastard, depending on your perspective. But either way, there is a limit as to to the tone and sentiment of the comments made. When someone drives a stake into the ground and dares someone else to challenge it is where most of our major problems and disagreements come from.

Old 08-21-2010, 07:58 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,173,997 times
It smells better now with Smitty's gone.

I was in Kroger's the other and over heard the manager saying their sales have been steadily increasing.

Imagine that. 8,000 people get kicked out of OTR and Kroger's sales actually increase.

There's still a problem with dope boys down in that little garden/park there between Vine and Race, but hopefully when they start kicking out the garbage along Race and Main it'll be a lot safer (then I won't have to go packing any more).

Old 08-22-2010, 08:36 AM

18 posts, read 29,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyspider View Post
^Try Andrea Ashford, Wilson. She's Larry's daughter. Read the article in the OP again. Amdrea/Andrea....same person, I presume?
Yes I am! And Proud of it! I was so upset my hands must have been shaking the first time I read some of the things posted on here, I had a typo and didn't bother to fix it after I saw some of the responses. Some people are so full of themselves they seem to be above at least TRYING to look at the facts.
If all of you did not go into Smitty's or get to know the men who founded it, that is your misfortune. My father worked their since he was 14 years old. He is now 70. The previous owner, the people who live in OTR, those building were his family! Think about it...he had been in that neighborhood and with those building longer then with ANYONE or ANYTHING else in his life. He loved them! And on April 28 he stood there and watched them burn, helpless...like watching a family member die. On April 29 he sat on the step of what use to be Meet and Eat and just stared at what use to be his life. If it had not been for the people who shopped there and live around there he would not have survived.
It is very frustrating for me to read some of the accusations because they are lies from people who have not even bothered to get his name right much less the facts. This compounded by the fact that the city I have lived in all of my life, that I love, has been a royal nightmare to deal with!
He has raised me to always give more then I take. He has led by example. He ask us not to hold grudges or get too angry over things people say, it only hurts us. With some of these blogs...that is a little much to ask. I guess a lesson for all...be careful what you say, you never know who is listening and who you are hurting!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati