Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 10:13 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,177,123 times

Advertisements

Well, all good things must come to an end.

I won't miss it. Like I said, it smells better and no, I'm not making that up. I live at 12th and Race and have to walk by that nonsense (since I don't have a car) if I want to shop at Findlay Market or Kroger's.

Aside from the fact that the outside of the building looked gaudy, I could never go in to shop because I can't stomach the dope boys, the winos or the panhandlers that occupied the sidewalk in that area. My first inclination would be to drive by in a Soviet BMD-1 and blast them with the 73mm cannon but I don't think our society would permit that.

If he really cared about doing business and expanding his customer-base, a video camera and some psy-ops warfare (like broadcasting Rimsky-Korsakov 24/7) would have gone a long way.

Anyway, it's a joy to see all those buildings boarded up. I can't wait until they start on the Race Street side. At least the problems in Washington Park will end soon and I might actually get to go use the park for once in my life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2010, 10:14 AM

18 posts, read 29,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
You are not going to create a reputation for Mr. Ashford by bragging about how the drug dealers treated him with respect. Each one of my elderly tenants has 100 times the integrity, after livining a good and honest life and now having to live in a community of perps and predators that were the mainstay of Smitty's. Like I said from the first, great place to get a pimp hat.
So glad to see that you can FINALLY get a name right.
You are a little slow, or maybe so full of yourself that It is hard for you to understand so I am going to break this down for you. I will try not to use big words but the concept might still be above your head.
You are right. The elderly people have lived a good life and should not live in fear. Those ARE the people he cateres to.
Now, first of all you can not tell what a person is by what they wear. That is why I am calling you prejudice. You assume to much Mr. Fashion Police. Not all of the people who dress or look a certain way are what you are assuming. As I told you before, the majority of people who buy the things you are referring to are the older people. FACT!
Second, we all know that there are some people who get themselves into something they shouldn't be in. Where do you think these people (most of which are kids) come from. They are the family and the grandchlidren to some of the people to whom YOU refer! If EVERYONE took the same approach you do nothing would EVER change. Smitty does NOT seek out pimps or dealers!!! He knows families. He knows people. He loves them for the potential he sees in them. He lectures them and gives them guidance. He encourages them to do what is right. If he changed or saved one life, wouldn't it be worth it?
They do NOT hang out in or infront of the store. They NEVER have. If you are in OTR as you claim to be you would know that. But I am sure that to is lacking in facts like everything else you claim.
One thing I am glad for... that the world is not full of predjudice people like you.

Old 08-22-2010, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Well, all good things must come to an end.

I won't miss it. Like I said, it smells better and no, I'm not making that up. I live at 12th and Race and have to walk by that nonsense (since I don't have a car) if I want to shop at Findlay Market or Kroger's.

Aside from the fact that the outside of the building looked gaudy, I could never go in to shop because I can't stomach the dope boys, the winos or the panhandlers that occupied the sidewalk in that area. My first inclination would be to drive by in a Soviet BMD-1 and blast them with the 73mm cannon but I don't think our society would permit that.

If he really cared about doing business and expanding his customer-base, a video camera and some psy-ops warfare (like broadcasting Rimsky-Korsakov 24/7) would have gone a long way.

Anyway, it's a joy to see all those buildings boarded up. I can't wait until they start on the Race Street side. At least the problems in Washington Park will end soon and I might actually get to go use the park for once in my life.
You didn't answer the question

Old 08-22-2010, 10:30 AM

Quote:
You can make this record all you want. I think most people regarded Smitty's as a garish stain on the area and his clientele a menace. Your personal attacks on me notwithstanding.

But, since you seem to be an expert on the place, perhaps you will explain the garish lighting directed out from the display windows? Was that for security purposes or just to degrade the neighborhood? If I recall there were actually fixtures on the outside of the building pointing toward the street. What was that about?
You still don't get it do you?
His clientele are the same people you claim need protecting... If you feel personally attacked it is because you are saying things that are NOT true. YOU personally attacked him and the things you were saying couldn't be further from the truth. Is that so hard for you to understand? Is it so hard for you to see that maybe both of you want the same things (less crime, no dope dealers, everyone to feel safer on the street) but because of his age, how long he has been part of the community, his personality and view of the world around it is just 2 different approaches???

Old 08-22-2010, 10:32 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,487,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amdrea ashford View Post
You still don't get it do you?
His clientele are the same people you claim need protecting... If you feel personally attacked it is because you are saying things that are NOT true. YOU personally attacked him and the things you were saying couldn't be further from the truth. Is that so hard for you to understand? Is it so hard for you to see that maybe both of you want the same things (less crime, no dope dealers, everyone to feel safer on the street) but because of his age, how long he has been part of the community, his personality and view of the world around it is just 2 different approaches???

Yea, I'm sure Mr.s B who is a 93 year old black lady from New Orleans needs a pink suit.

You can continue to try to re write the sorry history of this place, but as you do, I think you should stop making this a personal attack on me. I didn't run some dope boy stop and shop.

Old 08-22-2010, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Yea, I'm sure Mr.s B who is a 93 year old black lady from New Orleans needs a pink suit.

You can continue to try to re write the sorry history of this place, but as you do, I think you should stop making this a personal attack on me. I didn't run some dope boy stop and shop.
You have NO clue of the history! I am not rewriting anything! YOU have made it a personal attack on him. I am not personally attacking you I am stating facts! If that makes you feel attacked then maybe you should try to be a better person. Not so judgemental. Not so predjudice. Don't open your mouth about things you have NO clue about...

Old 08-22-2010, 10:51 AM

I'll give you another pointer. Your constant postings are increasing the visibility of this thread on Google search. So now, thanks to your efforts, a search for Smitty's is increasingly likely to reveal this thread. Right now, its the 12th result from the search of Smitty's Cincinnati and climbing. Hopefully with your hateful attacks on me, it will get to number 1 so that anyone interested in this place will read my posts on it. Good job.

Old 08-22-2010, 10:56 AM

Quote:
I'll give you another pointer. Your constant postings are increasing the visibility of this thread on Google search. So now, thanks to your efforts, a search for Smitty's is increasingly likely to reveal this thread. Right now, its the 12th result from the search of Smitty's Cincinnati and climbing. Hopefully with your hateful attacks on me, it will get to number 1 so that anyone interested in this place will read my posts on it. Good job.
No hateful attacks on you...just stating the truth. I believe there are more good people in this world that are not prejudice...so let it be...let them look. That would just prove my point. I am almost starting to feel sorry for you. I will try to pray for you wilson. You need it.

Old 08-22-2010, 11:04 AM

I think most everyone who knows OTR will agree with me that Smitty's was a shop for the low lifes and vermin that victimize the weak and elderly of the area. Everyone knows that old people buy next to nothing and your statements that they were his clientele are not credible. If Ashford cashed some checks for free for the old folks I'm glad. But to say they were his customers is nonsense.

Old 08-22-2010, 02:40 PM

Quote:
I think most everyone who knows OTR will agree with me that Smitty's was a shop for the low lifes and vermin that victimize the weak and elderly of the area. Everyone knows that old people buy next to nothing and your statements that they were his clientele are not credible. If Ashford cashed some checks for free for the old folks I'm glad. But to say they were his customers is nonsense.
It is a good thing you don't get paid to think.
People who know Smitty's know who shopped there. People who know Smitty's know the good things he did for the neighborhood and all people in it. All the people, including the elderly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati