Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 04:51 AM

4,888 posts, read 13,838,011 times

Advertisements

I confess to not reporting what I saw on Calhoun St last summer either. (Ditto for when I myself was jumped in front of my own apt building during the time I lived in a Corryville-esque neighborhood.) Most people who I told about what'd happened tried to guilt-trip me for that, but some knew the deal. There was probably plenty of "excitement" going on all over Cincinnati, in certain parts at least, around 10:00 on a hot August night. Anybody who thinks blue lights will be flashing all over the neighborhood within minutes of a 911 call reporting an unarmed iPod robbery just got off the Greyhound from Idaho. The cops frankly have their hands full. Not only that, the description of the perps would've set off a profiling excursion of the vicinity on the off-chance the police ever did respond. It's a fact of city life that if suspects are pale-complected and wearing jeans, all with that appearance don't get stopped + frisked + interrogated. Not so when three medium-toned "bruthas" about six feet tall were the culprits, ask any AA guy who fits that bill. I'd beat feet up the street as one of the thuggz accosted the student with "You tryin' to ignore a Black guy? Got fi'dollas for me? I said, you got fi'dollas?" while his two comrades waited on the opposite side. So I can't say how it all ended up. But suffice it to say that if a report was filed afterwards (or had the incident been phoned in at the time), somebody minding his own business would've been stewing while officers checked for "priors" as the true offenders were counting or fencing their loot back on/near Forest Ave where they'd come from. As the song goes, that's just the way it is.

Naysayers about Short Vine redevelopment were probably saying the same thing about The Banks. But lo and behold, that project's finally sputtering to life. I have some confidence that something might actually get off the ground in Corryville, too, since the principals have a genuine stake in the community. Two of them are the proprietors of Martino's and Bogart's, so it's not like some profiteering out-of-town developer is at the table.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2010, 01:34 PM

2,204 posts, read 6,720,605 times
$24M Uptown hotel scheduled for Fall 2010 opening

Corryville.org

Here you will find proposed renderings of the new Plaza redevelopment plan ...

"Anchor Buys University Plaza"

Old 05-23-2010, 01:37 PM

GoyGuy has a good point. Well, it's actually common sense...

If there's money to be made - it'll be made. Then there's also the personal interest there as well.

Old 05-23-2010, 01:59 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,838,011 times
Only one good point outta all those?

Old 05-23-2010, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
Only one good point outta all those?
GoyGuy, you always have tons of good points, but honestly - no offense - sometimes your post are just too damn long to read. LOL

The Tri-State is filled with Negative Nancy's. You'd think that with all of the development happening, understanding that development breeds middle-class residents and eyes on the street = the best crime prevention plan known to man (statistically proven).

i.e.
New Development>Amenities>New Residents>Developers cash in on Apt./Condos/Retail/Office space>Crime Drops>Next Round of new residents (wait & see'ers)>Schools improve as middle class parents demand a better education>Positive Impact radiates to nearby blocks

Everybody wins.

A perfect example of this is the Gateway Quarter in OTR. 10 years ago, ANYONE would've banked on Corryville becoming the next gold mine over OTR any-day-of-the-week. Anything can happen with the right people mixed together. 3CDC being the main and single driver for success. You mix the above steps together and now we have $10 hotdogs being sold on Vine St. and 4-Star chefs wanting to opening up restaurants in the city's most "crime-ridden area."

You couldn't give away property in OTR back in the day and now you cannot afford to purchase property along the proposed Streetcar route.

I lived Downtown in the Shillito for 2.5 years starting in I think, 2004 or '05? I remember getting giddy and excited with a new restaurant or club opening up Downtown. With each new announcement, I got excited. Now, in 2010 I gave up on keeping up. I used to be the first to find out about something new going on ... now I find out by driving by and seeing "Opening Soon" signs hanging up ... and now we have a national top-rated boutique hotel coming in and supposedly a new district coined "Restaurant Row" along the Backstage District.

I remember hearing from my peers in HP, Oakley, Newport, Covington, Colerain, etc.: "You go Downtown on your Saturday nights? Why?" ... Fast-forward and you have to stand in line to wait for current bar goers to leave because they're at maximum capacity.

You want to see what last night looked like, sure there was an event that occurred, but there's always an even and I recognize 95% of those people from patronizing the same places I do.

http://cincinnati.metromix.com/event...961182/content

Never say never. Again, where there's money to be made - it'll be made.

Old 05-25-2010, 01:18 PM

350 posts, read 880,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy-Rise View Post
The Tri-State is filled with Negative Nancy's. You'd think that with all of the development happening, understanding that development breeds middle-class residents and eyes on the street = the best crime prevention plan known to man (statistically proven).

New Development>Amenities>New Residents>Developers cash in on Apt./Condos/Retail/Office space>Crime Drops>Next Round of new residents (wait & see'ers)>Schools improve as middle class parents demand a better education>Positive Impact radiates to nearby blocks

Never say never. Again, where there's money to be made - it'll be made.
^ Good points, great post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati