Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 06:48 PM

1,130 posts, read 2,541,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deg1114 View Post
I would disagree. With places like Arthurs, Tellers, and Echo - it would be a welcomed change for me. But then again the wife and I eat in the square a lot and we are looking for something new. Truthfully I would rather have a place like Mecklenburg Gardens over more pub food.
Long before Red and three or four other failed restaurants in that location, there was a European restaurant in Hyde Park Square. It had a Swiss theme, and was called the Kase Keller (need an umlaut in there but I don't feel like searching for the symbol) or Cheese Cellar. They had fondue and sandwiches, among other things. Hard to remember...it was the early '80s.

Mecklenburg Gardens just hired a new chef, supposedly from the Celestial.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2010, 06:50 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,462,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t45209 View Post
In Germany they have hundreds of variations of sausages, strongly dictated by the region you are in. If you go to a butcher shop in Munich, you will see a half dozen or more varieties of "white hot dogs" alone. In Bavaria, what we tend to call bratwurst in Cincinnati is most similar to a weisswurst (white sausage). They tend to serve them boiled, and Bavarians will peel the skin off and just eat the guts. If you get good brats in Cincinnati, they will be very much like what you can find in Munich, no disrespect to your German upbringing.

Someone else, earlier in the thread said they traveled in Swabia and never found a "bratwurst." Well, you can find plenty in Bavaria, and they call it that too. Granted, it can take on a lot of different forms, and is more of a term that describes the method of preparation, but they have it.

Interestingly, some towns in Bavaria you can find what they call a "bratwurstl". It's a white sausage (and not a bockwurst) about the size of your finger, grilled, and served in a bed of sauerkraut. This dish is particularly good in Regensburg. YUM!
The best selection of sausages I've seen in Cinti is at Avril's Court Street. I think they have about 20 fresh choices and a bunch they freeze because of storage problems (poultry based sausage cannot be stored safely in the meat case). But the selection is great.

Old 09-23-2010, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juniper. View Post
One reason that German food is out of fashion, though, is that it's not particularly healthy! German food is good-time food - something you'd eat at a party, but not every day unless you don't mind the cholesterol, fat, salt and carbs. Trendy ethnic foods such as Indian, Thai, Middle-Eastern etc. at least give the illusion of being healthy. I'm sure that REAL German food is perfectly good for you -- that is, what you'd eat if you were IN Germany -- but the exported interpretation is not particularly conducive to maintaining one's waistline and blood pressure!
Sorry to pile up so many posts, but I have been out of the loop for awhile and this topic interests me.

I think REAL German food must be good for you. The diet is heavy on meats and starches, and despite having wonderful fruits and vegetables in their markets, it can be rather challenging to find veggies on a German menu. That said, and this is the important part, if you go to Germany you will immediately notice that despite the "bad" diet and all the beer, there are very few fat Germans!!! They must know something that we don't.

Old 09-23-2010, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
The best selection of sausages I've seen in Cinti is at Avril's Court Street. I think they have about 20 fresh choices and a bunch they freeze because of storage problems (poultry based sausage cannot be stored safely in the meat case). But the selection is great.
Our dinner last night came from Avril's! Not sausage, though.

For authentic German sausages, the best I have found is Krause's at Findlay Market.

Kroeger Meats at Findlay Market is wildly popular for sausages, and I have stood in line for them more than once. For some reason though, I've not found their stuff to be all it's cracked up to be, but that's just personal taste I guess.

Old 09-23-2010, 07:18 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,462,852 times
Quote:
Our dinner last night came from Avril's! Not sausage, though.

For authentic German sausages, the best I have found is Krause's at Findlay Market.

Kroeger Meats at Findlay Market is wildly popular for sausages, and I have stood in line for them more than once. For some reason though, I've not found their stuff to be all it's cracked up to be, but that's just personal taste I guess.
Sadly, Findlay Market is off my list. I think they have a serious fly control problem there. I always see flies in the meat cases and they are laying eggs and they are not killed by refrigeration. Call me fussy, but until I go in there and don't see flies in the cases, I'm not buying meat or fish there. I guess I could wash the sausages (which I would not want to do with cut meat or fish). So maybe I'll make a sausage trip to FM.

Old 09-23-2010, 07:34 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
Quote:
In Germany they have hundreds of variations of sausages, strongly dictated by the region you are in. If you go to a butcher shop in Munich, you will see a half dozen or more varieties of "white hot dogs" alone. In Bavaria, what we tend to call bratwurst in Cincinnati is most similar to a weisswurst (white sausage). They tend to serve them boiled, and Bavarians will peel the skin off and just eat the guts. If you get good brats in Cincinnati, they will be very much like what you can find in Munich, no disrespect to your German upbringing.
And weisswurst tends to contain a lot more veal than pork.

Old 09-24-2010, 11:30 AM

577 posts, read 1,280,053 times
Quote:
I think REAL German food must be good for you. The diet is heavy on meats and starches, and despite having wonderful fruits and vegetables in their markets, it can be rather challenging to find veggies on a German menu. That said, and this is the important part, if you go to Germany you will immediately notice that despite the "bad" diet and all the beer, there are very few fat Germans!!! They must know something that we don't.
I think it's what they don't have - fast food chains and preprocessed food.

Old 09-24-2010, 04:44 PM

204 posts, read 744,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
Sadly, Findlay Market is off my list. I think they have a serious fly control problem there. I always see flies in the meat cases and they are laying eggs and they are not killed by refrigeration. Call me fussy, but until I go in there and don't see flies in the cases, I'm not buying meat or fish there. I guess I could wash the sausages (which I would not want to do with cut meat or fish). So maybe I'll make a sausage trip to FM.
Krause's is not in the main building. It is on the southside of the market, in it's own buiding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati