Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 05:51 PM

1,416 posts, read 3,211,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB Fla View Post
I think the Tampa Bay area compliments the Miami area more then Orlando. The Tampa Bay area is quintessential Florida. It has everything that the rest of Florida has; the beach, theme parks, historic and newer areas, southerners and transplants, ect. You name a place or a thing somewhere in Florida, and Tampa Bay most likely has it or something like it.
One theme park does not count up for a theme parks and Orlando has far more media attention like Miami, than Tampa. Only thing Tampa has on Orlando with all you mention is an economic stand point.

Orlando has better nightlight, restaurants, more hotels, accessible to the Atlantic just as Miami, demographics are about the same with the exception of the Haitian presence; many Haitians here have connections with MIAMI, we have the World Class airport, a clean downtown.

if you had said Tampa Bay Metro compliments Miami Metro more than Orlando Metro I would have definitely agreed, but the cities themselves? No way in hell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2010, 05:59 PM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,732,677 times
unfortunately, there are none.

Old 06-10-2010, 06:08 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,191,557 times
Illinois is hard. Chicago metro is 26 times larger than the next largest metro area centered within the state.

For Iowa, I think what compliments Des Moines would kinda naturally be Cedar Rapids/Iowa City. They're both the only areas of the state growing for the most part, and given that fact - they're growing pretty quickly. 15-20% in the past decade. They're diverse economies, and a lot of the vision and future of the state is taken up by those combined areas. Less than an hour and a half away as well.

Old 06-10-2010, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
unfortunately, there are none.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicago60614 View Post
illinois is hard. Chicago metro is 26 times larger than the next largest metro area centered within the state.

For iowa, i think what compliments des moines would kinda naturally be cedar rapids/iowa city. They're both the only areas of the state growing for the most part, and given that fact - they're growing pretty quickly. 15-20% in the past decade. They're diverse economies, and a lot of the vision and future of the state is taken up by those combined areas. Less than an hour and a half away as well.

chicago, new york, i forgot to mention excluding these two metros because they extend into other states as well are the largest and much larger than the next metro in their respective states.

And maybe boston and indianapolis and phoenix

Old 06-10-2010, 07:17 PM

528 posts, read 1,184,944 times
Since no other city in NY can replace NYC or do its work (even the next 10 cities combined in NY state don't match up), I'd have to say lets assume NY is split between upstate and downstate (because it should be anyway.)

So Upstate NY: Capital is Albany, largest city is Buffalo. Rochester and Syracuse are the other 2 notable cities, rounding out 4 similarly sized medium cities.
-I think that Buffalo is USNY's premier city, but Rochester is actually surpassing it in a few ways. If Buffalo were gone, Rochester would do a fine job taking its place. Rochester is actually USNY's largest economy, and there have been talks of relocating buffalo's sports teams to Rochester.
-I also feel like western USNY has more character than eastern USNY (specifically albany). So as far as the culture goes, a WNY city has to be a premier city.

Old 06-11-2010, 06:38 AM

215 posts, read 385,100 times
Quote:
-I think that Buffalo is USNY's premier city, but Rochester is actually surpassing it in a few ways. If Buffalo were gone, Rochester would do a fine job taking its place. Rochester is actually USNY's largest economy, and there have been talks of relocating buffalo's sports teams to Rochester. [LEFT]

Wait? What? I live in Buffalo and have not heard anything about the Sabres or Bills moving to Rochester. Can you elaborate? Where did you hear this?
[/LEFT]

Old 06-11-2010, 06:49 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,715,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie75 View Post
Wait? What? I live in Buffalo and have not heard anything about the Sabres or Bills moving to Rochester. Can you elaborate? Where did you hear this?
[/color][/LEFT]
I'm in Roch and haven't heard of this... Though I have heard of the Bills building a new stadium closer to Rochester since a good chunk of the ticket sales are from Rochester, like building it in Batavia maybe.

Old 06-11-2010, 10:12 AM

1,374 posts, read 3,254,805 times
Cleveland, ( arguably) is still the most identifiable and easily recognized the world over. Additionally, it remains the most prominent and "worldly" city in the state of Ohio.
Columbus and Cincinnatti are pleasant "accompaniments" to Cleveland

Last edited by JohnDBaumgardner; 06-11-2010 at 10:13 AM.. Reason: x

Old 06-11-2010, 11:14 AM

2,413 posts, read 5,749,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLABoyJ View Post
One theme park does not count up for a theme parks and Orlando has far more media attention like Miami, than Tampa. Only thing Tampa has on Orlando with all you mention is an economic stand point.

Orlando has better nightlight, restaurants, more hotels, accessible to the Atlantic just as Miami, demographics are about the same with the exception of the Haitian presence; many Haitians here have connections with MIAMI, we have the World Class airport, a clean downtown.

if you had said Tampa Bay Metro compliments Miami Metro more than Orlando Metro I would have definitely agreed, but the cities themselves? No way in hell.
I still disagree. When I said you can find everything in Tampa that you can find in other Florida cities, I didn't say Tampa would have as many. Orlando has the theme parks, and Tampa has one too. Miami doesn't even have a theme park, so how does Orlando's theme parks compliment Miami. And as far as being accessible to the Atlantic? Miami has a waterfront, Tampa has a waterfront, Orlando has no waterfront. And for population, the demographics of Tampa and Orlando are very close, yet, Tampa's population is a lot closer to Miami's then Orlando's is. You talk about Orlando's Haitian population, what about the Cuban population and history that both Tampa and Miami are known for. Orlanod having a clean downtown hardly compliments Miami's either. Tampa's Skyline is the second largest in the state behind Miami's though. The only thing I see Orlando complimenting Miami on is the amout of tourists and entertainment, and having a large airport. Restuarants are very debatable.

Old 06-11-2010, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB Fla View Post
I still disagree. When I said you can find everything in Tampa that you can find in other Florida cities, I didn't say Tampa would have as many. Orlando has the theme parks, and Tampa has one too. Miami doesn't even have a theme park, so how does Orlando's theme parks compliment Miami. And as far as being accessible to the Atlantic? Miami has a waterfront, Tampa has a waterfront, Orlando has no waterfront. And for population, the demographics of Tampa and Orlando are very close, yet, Tampa's population is a lot closer to Miami's then Orlando's is. You talk about Orlando's Haitian population, what about the Cuban population and history that both Tampa and Miami are known for. Orlanod having a clean downtown hardly compliments Miami's either. Tampa's Skyline is the second largest in the state behind Miami's though. The only thing I see Orlando complimenting Miami on is the amout of tourists and entertainment, and having a large airport. Restuarants are very debatable.
my point about that was the fact Atlantic Ocean is more important to Florida's economy being that is where most of the ports int he state are situated.

My point about this was just the fact Orlando has connections with Miami. But in reality I feel both Tampa and Orlando can compliment Miami, I just feel like Orlando does it best. Not saying Orlando wins every category but overall I think it is the best compliment to Miami in the state. Sure we don't have the professional sports teams and world class amenities(We Do But They Suck), but the atmosphere, the entertainment, tourist, airport, restaurants, things like that. But either way whichever city compliments Miami best I would be ok as I love both Orlando and Tampa.
Thing about that, it does not have the second tallest building in the state outside of Miami.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City