Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which borrough is better?
Bronx 12 5.74%
Queens 57 27.27%
Brooklyn 123 58.85%
unsure 17 8.13%
Voters: 209. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 10:55 AM

9,099 posts, read 13,117,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
the bronx does have four bridges but none of them are iconic. When it comes to bridges theres the brooklyn than theres the GWB
You guys have alot more than 4 bridges. According to Wickapedia, there are least 14 bridges crossing over the Harlem River and the Spuyten Duyvil Creek to connect The Bronx and Manhattan. One of them is the little known "High Bridge".

And thats not counting the bridges over the Bronx River, Hutchinson River and Westchester Creek. And the Whitestone and Throggs Neck bridges, lol.

A few years ago, a old lady drove her car onto the Spuyten Duyvil RAILROAD bridge by mistake. Not generally a good idea to drive a car onto railroad tracks, especially if they are over water! She was still in the car when a speeding Amtrack passenger train hit her car. Incredibly she survived!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2010, 04:28 PM

11,327 posts, read 20,249,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
You guys have alot more than 4 bridges. According to Wickapedia, there are least 14 bridges crossing over the Harlem River and the Spuyten Duyvil Creek to connect The Bronx and Manhattan. One of them is the little known "High Bridge".

And thats not counting the bridges over the Bronx River, Hutchinson River and Westchester Creek. And the Whitestone and Throggs Neck bridges, lol.

A few years ago, a old lady drove her car onto the Spuyten Duyvil RAILROAD bridge by mistake. Not generally a good idea to drive a car onto railroad tracks, especially if they are over water! She was still in the car when a speeding Amtrack passenger train hit her car. Incredibly she survived!
How does that even happen lol. Good thing she's okay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I don't think the BX has the housing stock, though. Brooklyn has lots of "cozy" little neighborhoods that make you want to nestle up under a blanket and sip chai while listening to Charlie Parker. It's also got really "funky" warehouses that can be converted to studios, which give Brooklyn a really "kitsch" feel. Furthermore, BX doesn't have the brownstones and bridges that make you want to dip into your trust fund and grab $2500 to spend on a camera to pursue a passion (or short-term hobby) that flames out after the third Flickr album.
This is my favorite post of this thread lol.

Old 03-01-2014, 01:53 AM

6,212 posts, read 9,154,000 times
Brooklyn! The Afro-Punk vibe, various ethnic enclaves, has had a heavy hand in literature, music, art, television, film, etc., distinct eccentricity, distinct antithesis identity from Manhattan, the best collection brownstones in the NYC, authentic NY pizza, my most favorite NYC accent, very distinct neighborhoods, and so and so forth! Brooklyn is basically a city's city (if it was a city again).

Of course, that's not to say there aren't great things about Queens and the Bronx because there actually are!

Old 03-01-2014, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarn View Post
Overall, Brooklyn wins IMO. But I love all NYC's boroughs... even the Bronx and Staten Island.
Agreed.

Old 03-01-2014, 02:12 AM

437 posts, read 625,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
Brooklyn! The Afro-Punk vibe, various ethnic enclaves, has had a heavy hand in literature, music, art, television, film, etc., distinct eccentricity, distinct antithesis identity from Manhattan, the best collection brownstones in the NYC, authentic NY pizza, my most favorite NYC accent, very distinct neighborhoods, and so and so forth! Brooklyn is basically a city's city (if it was a city again).

Of course, that's not to say there aren't great things about Queens and the Bronx because there actually are!
Is that an oxymoron?

Old 03-01-2014, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgrl View Post
Food: Queens (extensive variety of ethnic foods -- inexpensive)
Architecture: TIE Brooklyn (Brownstones) / Queens (English Tudor Houses and Garden Apartments - Take the Jackson Heights Historic District tour and you'll know what I mean)
Arts: Brooklyn
Best Bridge: Queens (59th, Triboro/RFK, Whitestone, Throgs Neck & Midtown Tun - more options than Bklyn)
Culture: Brooklyn
Nightlife: Brooklyn
Music Scene: Brooklyn
Parks: TIE Brooklyn (on the other hand, if you live in a house in Queens with a backyard, you may not care about parks)
Schools: Queens
Neighborhoods: Queens (Queens offers neighborhoods with better overall quality of life than what you'd pay the same for in Bklyn)
The Queensboro Bridge was a very interesting sight when I visited.

Old 03-01-2014, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dispo4 View Post
Is that an oxymoron?
Maybe...

Old 03-01-2014, 12:39 PM

1,138 posts, read 1,036,373 times
Unsure because I have never been to NYC before, however I have heard that Queens and Brooklyn are much nicer areas than the Bronx, which is supposedly kind of run down.

Old 03-02-2014, 06:18 PM

3,263 posts, read 5,622,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West Coast Republican View Post
Unsure because I have never been to NYC before, however I have heard that Queens and Brooklyn are much nicer areas than the Bronx, which is supposedly kind of run down.
None of those three boroughs are monolithic in character, or small enough to make generalizations like that about. They're all big enough to be top 10 US cities in population, and all are are comprised of many different neighborhoods - some very nice, and some run-down.

Old 12-15-2014, 12:44 AM

1 posts, read 1,372 times
I live and work in the Bronx... You can find a random white dude/chick on the street in the South Bronx all times of night now. I've worked in Hunts Point for the last 10 years... It has begun!!! Lol and as far as housing stock... I think they're saying the Bronx has the most diversity because you can find it all. We are not as big as Brooklyn or Queens... But we have brownstones and bungalows and 6 story art deco or whatever. We have everything(variety wise) just not in the numbers of the other boroughs. It's not as uniform... Scattered about somewhat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City