U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which borrough is better?
Bronx 12 5.80%
Queens 56 27.05%
Brooklyn 122 58.94%
unsure 17 8.21%
Voters: 207. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2014, 07:28 AM

2,549 posts, read 3,483,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bxthoroughbred1 View Post
I live and work in the Bronx... You can find a random white dude/chick on the street in the South Bronx all times of night now. I've worked in Hunts Point for the last 10 years... It has begun!!! Lol and as far as housing stock... I think they're saying the Bronx has the most diversity because you can find it all. We are not as big as Brooklyn or Queens... But we have brownstones and bungalows and 6 story art deco or whatever. We have everything(variety wise) just not in the numbers of the other boroughs. It's not as uniform... Scattered about somewhat.
You do have Yankee Stadium which force it's fans to travel from the Queens and Brooklyn to help even the score. However, seeing the Mets is another story.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2014, 06:56 PM

412 posts, read 455,799 times
Obviously most are going to say Brooklyn. I think the Bronx has potential to be the "next" burrough, it's just had this image for so long despite having some very nice areas. I think Bronx residents are also much more reluctant for it to turn in to another gentrified area. I think I read somewhere that Queens was positioned to be the next it thing. I guess it was bound to happen as Brooklyn prices rise.

Old 12-18-2014, 07:58 PM

20 posts, read 33,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanologist View Post
Which borrough is better quality? Let's hear it...especially from you people in the NYC area. I'm leaving out Manhattan and Staten Island to more fair.

Food:
Architecture:
Arts:
Best Bridge:
Culture:
Nightlife:
Music Scene:
Parks:
Schools:
Neighborhoods:

Food:Queens (Only place I can find all types of ethnic food and markets. Living on Long Island I miss this most about Queens)
Architecture:
Arts: Brooklyn
Best Bridge: Brooklyn (although I do like the Queensborough Bridge)
Culture: Brooklyn
Nightlife: Brooklyn (not a big nightlife gal but Brooklyn is poppin)
Music Scene:
Parks: Queens (I basically grew up in Flushing meadow park)
Schools: Queens (since I spent the entire summer interviewing at NYC schools I say Queens has some of the better ones)
Neighborhoods: Queen and Brooklyn are tied to me. (I was born in and spent my early childhood in Elmhurst,Corona,LIC and Jackson Heights so I like its diversity of it. However Brooklyn has a vibe of its own)

Old 12-18-2014, 08:22 PM

28,743 posts, read 27,954,128 times
So since my first post on this thread, I've cosied up to Queens a lot more. Pretty much tied for me at this point since Nightlife and Music Scene has gradually become less important to me (and honestly, the nightlife and music scene in Brooklyn has sort of slowly gone down) while food has gone up for me.

Old 12-19-2014, 01:33 PM

401 posts, read 442,402 times
Queens is very cultural/diverse. Many racial differences. I have been to the Bronx a few times so I cannot say much of it. From what I seen, it just seems a little more grittier than the rest of the city. West side of Brooklyn is mostly gentrified and very hipster like. ENY/Brownsville/parts of Bed Stuy are still unsafe. Haven't been to Coney Islands but I've heard it's nice to visit as long as you don't wander into the neighborhood or projects.

Been to Queens multiple times and would say it has a unique feel to it. Each neighborhood has a different culture. Some areas are heavily mixed races. A few bad areas in Queens compared to BX and BLKN from what I've heard.

Drove through Staten Island a few times, doesn't really feel like part of the city. A lot of space, nice place to live if you don't want all the hustle/bustle of the other boroughs who have 1mil+ in each.

Brooklyn has 2.7 million people or so, Queens- 2.3 million, Manhattan- 1.6 million, Bronx- 1.1 million I believe, Staten Island about 500k.

Old 12-19-2014, 01:35 PM

401 posts, read 442,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladysolitude View Post
Food:Queens (Only place I can find all types of ethnic food and markets. Living on Long Island I miss this most about Queens)
Architecture:
Arts: Brooklyn
Best Bridge: Brooklyn (although I do like the Queensborough Bridge)
Culture: Brooklyn
Nightlife: Brooklyn (not a big nightlife gal but Brooklyn is poppin)
Music Scene:
Parks: Queens (I basically grew up in Flushing meadow park)
Schools: Queens (since I spent the entire summer interviewing at NYC schools I say Queens has some of the better ones)
Neighborhoods: Queen and Brooklyn are tied to me. (I was born in and spent my early childhood in Elmhurst,Corona,LIC and Jackson Heights so I like its diversity of it. However Brooklyn has a vibe of its own)

I agree with everything here.

Old 12-19-2014, 07:07 PM

1,265 posts, read 1,364,450 times
Architecture
1:Brooklyn
2:Bronx
3:Queens

Old 12-19-2014, 07:11 PM

2,033 posts, read 1,371,997 times
I'm sure someone has already said this, but the obvious winner for all these categories is Staten Island.

Old 07-27-2017, 03:12 PM

1 posts, read 1,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanologist View Post
Which borrough is better quality? Let's hear it...especially from you people in the NYC area. I'm leaving out Manhattan and Staten Island to more fair.

Food: The Bronx - great Italian restaurants especially in Belmont, great Latin, seafood on City Island, Liebermans kosher in Riverdale, Irish pub grub, West Indian
Architecture: Bronx - Yankee Stadium, Bronx Court House, Fordham University, Hall of Fame, Van Cortland Mansion and much more
Arts: probably Brooklyn
Best Bridge: Brooklyn - Brooklyn Bridge is iconic
Culture: Bronx - with all the colleges, an art museum, diverse ethnic neighborhoods - it's the beautiful Bronx
Nightlife:can't say
Music Scene:can't say
Parks:Bronx - Van Cortland, Bronx Zoo, NY Botanical Gardens, Pelham Bay Park, so many more
Schools: Bronx - Fordham University, Manhattan College, College of Mount St Vincent, Lehman, and more plus Bronx High School of Science, Cardinal Spellman HS, Fordham Prep, and more
Neighborhoods:
"Definition of the Bronx: A borough that is better than Brooklyn"

Old 07-27-2017, 07:16 PM

2,210 posts, read 1,614,818 times
Fun thread idea. I love the outer boroughs and I often feel like they don't get enough attention or discussion on here. As much as I love Manhattan it's really only a small part of NYC. I'm a Queens native now living in Brooklyn. I've also lived in Manhattan so I got 3/5 boroughs down.... 3/4 ignoring Staten Island. Here's my take on this:

Food: Queens --> Brooklyn --> Bronx
Queens is the most diverse borough in NYC (some claim it the diverse urban area in the world) and the food scene in Queens really reflects the diversity. There really isn't much that can't be found in Queens.
I gave Brooklyn 2nd place because it's got some really amazing restaurants.
Bronx deserves some recognition for great Italian food though. Bronx also has its own little Italy on Arthur Ave, which is more of a real little Italy compared to Manhattan's which is really more of a tourist trap.

Architecture: Brooklyn --> Bronx --> Queens
Brooklyn really has some amazing architecture. Especially those brownstone neighborhoods.
I put Bronx 2nd because I think Bronx architecture is more distinct than Queens and kind of has its own style.

Arts: Brooklyn --> Queens --> Bronx
This one was easy. It's definitely Brooklyn and I don't think it needs much explaining. It's arguably the creative capital of NYC.
I put Queens 2nd because I feel like the Queens art scene is very underrated. MoMA also has a small space in Queens. I actually haven't been to it yet but I love MoMA.
Bronx I'm not sure has much of an art scene.

Best Bridge: Brooklyn --> Queens --> Bronx
Another obvious one. Everyone knows the Brooklyn Bridge and it's a beautiful bridge, but Brooklyn also has the Manhattan bridge (which I think is more beautiful personally) and the Williamsburg bridge which is my favorite to walk across and is covered in graffiti which I love about it. Then there's the Verrazano which is massive. BK gets points too in my book for having subways run across the bridges.
Queens gets 2nd for having the Queensboro bride which is an architectural gem. The Whitestone is not very impressive looking IMO but it might be the most convenient and useful. The Triborough is a cool bridge too.

Culture: Brooklyn --> Queens/Bronx tie
Personal preference. I never cared much for Brooklyn growing up but accidentally fell in love with it a few years ago.
I couldn't decide between Queens and The Bronx here for 2nd and 3rd. The Bronx I feel has more of its unique borough-wide "feel" or identity. Queens is the largest borough and IMO the most varied but least unified. The diversity in Queens is unmatched though and that gives Queens a lot of culture.

Nightlife: Brooklyn --> Queens --> Bronx
Brooklyn wins nightlife easily. Brooklyn has a wild party scene and it's really taken off in recent years. I think Brooklyn nightlife is superior to Manhattan. It's definitely less pretentious, that's for sure.
Queens has some good nightlife too but it doesn't beat Brooklyn. Queens' nightlife scene benefits from proximity to Brooklyn since it's right next to it, on the same island. Ridgewood for example gets a lot of nightlife spillover and influence from Bushwick.

Music Scene: Bronx --> Queens --> Brooklyn
All are great but Bronx wins for being the birthplace of hip hop.
Queens seems to have the edge over BK these days, but BK is still great. I had to rank one of them last though.

Parks: Bronx --> Brooklyn --> Queens
All are amazing here. This one was tough, but I went with The Bronx on this one. I bet a lot of people don't know how green and full of parkland the Bronx is. My favorite is Pelham Bay Park. It's bigger than Central Park and situated right on Long Island Sound. It really doesn't feel like you're in NYC. There's even a beach here in this park and several small islands with some interesting history.
I gave Brooklyn 2nd for Prospect Park. And Coney Island also counts as a Park too right? That's one of the most interesting and fun places in all of NYC.
There's also a wildlife sanctuary located in Brooklyn and Queens and is roughly the size of Manhattan. There's a lot of different bird species and marine life here. The subway (elevated) passes through here and gets a really beautiful view of the water. It's my favorite subway ride in NYC.
Queens also has the rockaways which is another place you can go and forget that you're in NYC until you see the A train.

Schools: Bronx --> Queens --> Brooklyn
I didn't really spend a lot of time on this one. I gave it to The Bronx for having Fordham.
Queens has a few decent schools too.
I think Brooklyn probably comes in last here, although there are some good schools there as well.

Neighborhoods: Brooklyn --> Queens --> Bronx
Brooklyn has IMO the most interesting neighborhoods by far. I could list them but it would be a really long list.
Queens has a larger variety in neighborhoods since every Queens hood used to be its own independent city/town long ago. Queens loses points in my book for having more pockets of suburban neighborhoods compared to BK and BX where they are extremely rare.
Bronx to me feels more uniform throughout the borough than the other 2.

My overall score:
Brooklyn: 24
Queens: 17
Bronx: 17

So Brooklyn gets my vote, but I'll always be a Queens person though. It doesn't really matter since it's all the same city anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City