U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which borrough is better?
Bronx 12 5.80%
Queens 56 27.05%
Brooklyn 122 58.94%
unsure 17 8.21%
Voters: 207. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2017, 03:20 PM

11,455 posts, read 7,934,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
Yeah what many people don't realize about The Bronx is that a huge part of it are basically an extension of Manhattan. The BX was part of NYC before any of the other outer boroughs. BK was its own city and Queens was just Long Island. The Manhattan grid continues into The Bronx and so does Broadway. And the South Bronx basically looks and feels a lot like Upper Manhattan.

I think The Bronx and Brooklyn too are unmatched in terms of urban-ness in this country outside of Manhattan. Queens overall is very urban too but not as much as BK and BX. But Queens is still just as urban as other cities in America, if not moreso.

And Staten Island would be super urban if it somehow drifted down the Atlantic and became part of the sunbelt.
The West Bronx is also extremely dense, with some tracts having 70k per square mile.

The West Bronx is somewhat of a gem actually, some of the lowest rents in NYC, subway access, hills, Dominican booty, proximity to Yankee Stadium, etc. A few months ago I found 1 bedrooms in University Heights for like 1150 per month, but I'm not sure if that's still the case.

I would say Western and Central Queens are extremely urban for the most part. Even Southeast Queens is more urban than people give it credit for. It has census tracts with over 20k per square mile and the vibe is much different from the actual suburbs. I work in Springfield Gardens and there are still plenty of people walking around after midnight, as well as plenty of 24 hour delis filled with customers.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2017, 04:38 PM
_OT

2,163 posts, read 1,809,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
The West Bronx is also extremely dense, with some tracts having 70k per square mile.

The West Bronx is somewhat of a gem actually, some of the lowest rents in NYC, subway access, hills, Dominican booty, proximity to Yankee Stadium, etc. A few months ago I found 1 bedrooms in University Heights for like 1150 per month, but I'm not sure if that's still the case.
lol stop it

Old 07-30-2017, 04:38 PM

2,208 posts, read 1,602,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGuyForLife View Post
^^Yea, for all of the talk of Staten Island being residential, it has about the same population density as Los Angeles and Seattle. It has its own commuter railroad, industrial areas and the North Shore is quite dense. It's just not dense by NYC standards, but still overall more urban than 90% of the country.

Back to the original question, it's obvious that the order is Brooklyn, Queens and then the Bronx. But I feel as if Queens is coming on strong and may overtake Brooklyn in population one day. Long Island City is throwing up high rises and skyscrapers like crazy, too. Given its diversity and the fact it has two airports, one could argue Queens as the most IMPORTANT borough, after Manhattan. I wonder if there is a GDP breakdown of each borough, so we can see financially who's really after Manhattan: Brooklyn or Queens.
You really seem like you know a lot about NYC and I think everything you said is pretty spot-on
Yeah, it's all relative. Earlier I said something about Queens being suburban in comparison to BK and BX but it's still very urban (overall) by anyone's standards. It still manages to be more dense than San Francisco even with almost 2.5X the land area. And then there are parts of Queens with Manhattan-level density.

The LIC skyscraper boom is absolutely insane. I think it's the 2nd most impressive development in NYC only to Hudson Yards. There were a few 1,000+ ft buildings proposed for LIC but they were scaled down by FAA regulations due to proximity to LaGuardia airport, which is a shame but also understandable. I think the height limit for LIC is somewhere around 700 ft or something like that.
Downtown Brooklyn is another impressive skyscraper boom. They have less under construction than LIC (I think), but they still have a lot, plus there's no height limit in Brooklyn so BK's first 1,000+ ft building was able to go through and is currently under construction.

I think it's inevitable that Queens will eventually overtake Brooklyn in population one day. They are already pretty close, plus Queens is significantly larger and has much more room to further density. Brooklyn's already at 37K/mi while Queens is only at 21K. Brooklyn does have much better subway access, which helps though. But I think it will probably happen one day. As far as which one is more important, I'm not sure but that would be an interesting discussion. FDNY is headquartered in Brooklyn, so that's something. I'm sure there must be a way to find GDP by counties right?

Old 07-30-2017, 05:20 PM

Quote:

Haha, true. I would hate to live off the 1 train though. The hills are something I like about the Bronx too, but I feel like all those hills would really suck in the winter.

Old 07-30-2017, 06:26 PM

3,521 posts, read 3,345,936 times
Quote:
You really seem like you know a lot about NYC and I think everything you said is pretty spot-on
Yeah, it's all relative. Earlier I said something about Queens being suburban in comparison to BK and BX but it's still very urban (overall) by anyone's standards. It still manages to be more dense than San Francisco even with almost 2.5X the land area. And then there are parts of Queens with Manhattan-level density.

The LIC skyscraper boom is absolutely insane. I think it's the 2nd most impressive development in NYC only to Hudson Yards. There were a few 1,000+ ft buildings proposed for LIC but they were scaled down by FAA regulations due to proximity to LaGuardia airport, which is a shame but also understandable. I think the height limit for LIC is somewhere around 700 ft or something like that.
Downtown Brooklyn is another impressive skyscraper boom. They have less under construction than LIC (I think), but they still have a lot, plus there's no height limit in Brooklyn so BK's first 1,000+ ft building was able to go through and is currently under construction.

I think it's inevitable that Queens will eventually overtake Brooklyn in population one day. They are already pretty close, plus Queens is significantly larger and has much more room to further density. Brooklyn's already at 37K/mi while Queens is only at 21K. Brooklyn does have much better subway access, which helps though. But I think it will probably happen one day. As far as which one is more important, I'm not sure but that would be an interesting discussion. FDNY is headquartered in Brooklyn, so that's something. I'm sure there must be a way to find GDP by counties right?
Thanks, likewise

And you would think so, as Queens is more of an immigrant community than Brooklyn (obviously no slouch either) and immigrants have more kids. But Brooklyn actually posted a higher population gain from 2010-2016 (5% vs 4.6%), so let's not get ahead of ourselves. We'll see what happens by 2020 and the trajectory from there.

I couldn't find anything about GDP per borough, but the per capita numbers are easily available.

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fa...york/INC110215

Staten Island is actually the wealthiest borough in median household measures, at $73,197. Then Manhattan at $72,871, Queens at $57,720, Brooklyn at $48,201 and the Bronx at $34,299.

Going by money making generators, I'm not sure which has more output: Downtown Brooklyn or Long Island City. Brooklyn has the Nets and Islanders, while Queens has the Mets and the US Open. Brooklyn has Coney Island, while Queens has the airports. A recent report by the City Comptroller covered in the NY Post has the outerboroughs business growth being hotter than Manhattan's, with Brooklyn at 48%, Queens at 33%, the Bronx at 26% and Staten Island at 22%. So it seems Brooklyn has the higher economic output based on pure population and the businesses because of that, but Queens hits above its weight class in per capita terms. Until they release borough GDPs, who knows?

"New York City’s economic landscape has shifted in recent years, with more and more businesses opening in neighborhoods outside of Manhattan."

Outer borough business growth is hotter than Manhattan’s | New York Post

https://comptroller.nyc.gov/reports/...neighborhoods/

Old 07-30-2017, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Haha, true. I would hate to live off the 1 train though. The hills are something I like about the Bronx too, but I feel like all those hills would really suck in the winter.
If I'm not mistaken, there are a lot of streets in the West Bronx that have staircases between them, using those in the winter must be a pain in the ass.

I think the think the worst part about living there (for us) would be the distance from Brooklyn. If you were to go out in Williamsburg or Bushwick til 4AM, your options are either spending two hours drunk on the subway, or paying 60 dollars for an uber/cab. Even Lower Manhattan is kind of far from the West Bronx. So I guess I'd have to get used to partying on Dyckman Street lol.

Old 07-31-2017, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGuyForLife View Post
Thanks, likewise

And you would think so, as Queens is more of an immigrant community than Brooklyn (obviously no slouch either) and immigrants have more kids. But Brooklyn actually posted a higher population gain from 2010-2016 (5% vs 4.6%), so let's not get ahead of ourselves. We'll see what happens by 2020 and the trajectory from there.

I couldn't find anything about GDP per borough, but the per capita numbers are easily available.

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fa...york/INC110215

Staten Island is actually the wealthiest borough in median household measures, at $73,197. Then Manhattan at $72,871, Queens at $57,720, Brooklyn at $48,201 and the Bronx at $34,299.

Going by money making generators, I'm not sure which has more output: Downtown Brooklyn or Long Island City. Brooklyn has the Nets and Islanders, while Queens has the Mets and the US Open. Brooklyn has Coney Island, while Queens has the airports. A recent report by the City Comptroller covered in the NY Post has the outerboroughs business growth being hotter than Manhattan's, with Brooklyn at 48%, Queens at 33%, the Bronx at 26% and Staten Island at 22%. So it seems Brooklyn has the higher economic output based on pure population and the businesses because of that, but Queens hits above its weight class in per capita terms. Until they release borough GDPs, who knows?

"New York City’s economic landscape has shifted in recent years, with more and more businesses opening in neighborhoods outside of Manhattan."

Outer borough business growth is hotter than Manhattan’s | New York Post

https://comptroller.nyc.gov/reports/...neighborhoods/
I'm genuinely surprised to see Staten Island as #1 in median income. I was not expecting that at all. I think Brooklyn is probably the fastest-growing borough right now. With how expensive Brooklyn is now, I'm surprised it ranked so low in median income.

Old 07-31-2017, 05:43 PM

Quote:
If I'm not mistaken, there are a lot of streets in the West Bronx that have staircases between them, using those in the winter must be a pain in the ass.

I think the think the worst part about living there (for us) would be the distance from Brooklyn. If you were to go out in Williamsburg or Bushwick til 4AM, your options are either spending two hours drunk on the subway, or paying 60 dollars for an uber/cab. Even Lower Manhattan is kind of far from the West Bronx. So I guess I'd have to get used to partying on Dyckman Street lol.
I think the staircases make it a lot easier in the winter. It's probably a lot easier than walking up an icy hill.

Yeah The Bronx is really far from the top nightlife areas of Lower Manhattan and Brooklyn. I think if I lived in the Bronx I'd probably go out in Hell's Kitchen more since it's probably the next best area for nightlife. It's a lot closer, but even HK is still far from BX tho. I think I've been spoiled since living in Williamsburg. I could never be that far away.

Old 08-01-2017, 01:13 AM

Quote:
I think the staircases make it a lot easier in the winter. It's probably a lot easier than walking up an icy hill.

Yeah The Bronx is really far from the top nightlife areas of Lower Manhattan and Brooklyn. I think if I lived in the Bronx I'd probably go out in Hell's Kitchen more since it's probably the next best area for nightlife. It's a lot closer, but even HK is still far from BX tho. I think I've been spoiled since living in Williamsburg. I could never be that far away.
Is there anything in Hell's Kitchen besides pubs?

And damn right you are lol.I do go to Brooklyn and Manhattan a lot, but ugh getting home at 6AM sucks. The other night I fell asleep on the train and woke up at the end of the line, then ended up getting home at 9AM.

Old 08-01-2017, 01:19 AM

Quote:
I'm genuinely surprised to see Staten Island as #1 in median income. I was not expecting that at all. I think Brooklyn is probably the fastest-growing borough right now. With how expensive Brooklyn is now, I'm surprised it ranked so low in median income.
Think of all the NYCHA, rent stabilized apartments, and lower income people living in crowded apartments.

The median household income for the whole city is only a little over 50k, despite that salary for 1 person barely being enough to get your own market rate place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City