Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2012, 11:35 AM

3,892 posts, read 5,511,660 times

Advertisements

nice to see Indianapolis rank above Charlotte.
Hmm maybe the south isnt the best place to relocate too lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 01:27 AM

1,773 posts, read 2,674,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.D. Calif View Post
Would you like to back your statement up with credible evidence? Denver has the University of Denver, Regis, and CU Boulder in it's metro area - all very good schools. Perhaps culturally the other cities have a leg up but I wouldn't say educationally.
Really? You seem serious so... Unless Denver has a hidden Ivy league school in its metro (it doesn't) it isn't even close to St. Louis for higher education. Fact: Washington University blows away anything in Denver, period. I'd love to hear you or anyone else argue against this.

If by chance you think Washington University doesn't resolve this all by itself, you like more variety I guess, you have Saint Louis University (Jesuit like Regis, but substantially older, 1818 makes it second oldest Jesuit after Georgetown, also oldest university west of the Mississippi and I'm almost positive oldest medical and law school west of the Mississippi, as for present day, it beats Regis rather handily), Webster University, University of Missouri St. Louis, Fontbonne University, Maryvilly University, McKendree University, S. IL University Edwardsville, St. Louis College of Pharmacy, Harris-Stowe State University, Lindenwood University, or another one of the 30 something higher education institutions in the St. Louis metro.

You can try and attack the criteria being used in the ranking (but it's theirs so I don't know how far you could go with this), but based on it St. Louis should remain exactly where it is, not move down. No one's given any credible evidence why it should move down other then personal opinions/slants against it.

Old 06-25-2012, 06:53 AM

1,037 posts, read 2,047,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
nice to see Indianapolis rank above Charlotte.
Hmm maybe the south isnt the best place to relocate too lol
Which makes this persons credibility totally bogus. Charlotte is a Gamma world city...let the hate continue

Old 06-25-2012, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qc dreamin View Post
Which makes this persons credibility totally bogus. Charlotte is a Gamma world city...let the hate continue
No actually, it doesn't. Furthermore, in the GAWC list Indy is a Gamma city, and Charlotte is one level higher at Gamma +. How can this be possible? Well obviously not all lists have the exact same criteria for one. In the GAWC list for example, banking/finance was a key criteria, something Charlotte would score rather well on.

Old 06-25-2012, 09:27 AM

3,004 posts, read 5,149,013 times
Rand McNally, GaWC, Forbes, whomever all use varying methodologies and all of those methodologies can favor one city over another. They also tend to add some sort of methodology to personal preference which is extremely hard to do. Taking Caesartl notion of Banking/Finance being a key component to the GAWC, yes a city like Charlotte will rank very high since that it its niche market and would definitely rank it above a city like Indianapolis which is not big on banking/finance. Replace that criteria with say manufacturing and Indianapolis wins that over Charlotte since Charlotte isn't big on manufacturing while Indianapolis is. Indianapolis exports more and exports account for more of its economy than Charlotte while Charlotte has a larger GDP and local economy. So again, the two can flip flop based off of criteria used. In the end, every one of these ranking publications is glorified opinion based on whoever does it deems as important.

Old 06-25-2012, 11:34 AM

704 posts, read 1,792,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.D. Calif View Post
Would you like to back your statement up with credible evidence? Denver has the University of Denver, Regis, and CU Boulder in it's metro area - all very good schools. Perhaps culturally the other cities have a leg up but I wouldn't say educationally.
Denver is not at all a college city. Boulder isn't really part of the Denver area, and even if you counted CU (my alma mater, by the way) as a "Denver area" school, St. Louis and other cities have many more institutions of higher education are a more academic setting. Denver is a business city, primarily, not unlike Dallas and Houston, both of which also have good schools, but it's just not the same as St. Louis.

Old 06-25-2012, 11:36 AM

704 posts, read 1,792,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bslette View Post
I think Seattle and denver should be moved up, Cleveland and st louis moved down
Denver is only significant in that it's a regional hub and a national transportation hub. But in terms of other cultural and economic indicators, Denver is actually quite low. I've always considered it a sister city of Kansas City in so many ways.

Old 06-25-2012, 02:02 PM

635 posts, read 1,540,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesarstl View Post
Really? You seem serious so... Unless Denver has a hidden Ivy league school in its metro (it doesn't) it isn't even close to St. Louis for higher education. Fact: Washington University blows away anything in Denver, period. I'd love to hear you or anyone else argue against this.

If by chance you think Washington University doesn't resolve this all by itself, you like more variety I guess, you have Saint Louis University (Jesuit like Regis, but substantially older, 1818 makes it second oldest Jesuit after Georgetown, also oldest university west of the Mississippi and I'm almost positive oldest medical and law school west of the Mississippi, as for present day, it beats Regis rather handily), Webster University, University of Missouri St. Louis, Fontbonne University, Maryvilly University, McKendree University, S. IL University Edwardsville, St. Louis College of Pharmacy, Harris-Stowe State University, Lindenwood University, or another one of the 30 something higher education institutions in the St. Louis metro.

You can try and attack the criteria being used in the ranking (but it's theirs so I don't know how far you could go with this), but based on it St. Louis should remain exactly where it is, not move down. No one's given any credible evidence why it should move down other then personal opinions/slants against it.
I stand corrected. I wasn't aware of Saint Louis' numerous and reputable educational institutions.

Old 06-25-2012, 05:29 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,072,086 times
If the category is "national business center" than Denver does in fact BLOW st. louis out of the water! What are the GDP's of the 2 metros? Yep. Denver is way up!

Old 06-26-2012, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilehiDenver View Post
If the category is "national business center" than Denver does in fact BLOW st. louis out of the water! What are the GDP's of the 2 metros? Yep. Denver is way up!
Sure, I wouldn't say it blows it away quite like the other conversation, unless per cap as then Denver is def quite a bit higher (a real star on this list if I remember correctly), but if that makes you feel better than sure. I think St. Louis's metro has one more Fortune 500 company than Denver, but I think GMPs are around $157 for Denver compared to St. Louis's $129 (billion). But that would still be just one of the many criteria for this list. Feel free to argue why you feel Denver should move up (assuming you do feel this way), using their criteria of course, I just responded as a few people suggested St. Louis should move down and they didn't list any reasons as to why or seem to even know about St. Louis based on the criteria at all...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City