Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 07:26 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,534,629 times

Advertisements

i would think LV would at least be a tier higher

and i don't see a huge difference between the 2-BB and 2-AA cities. they should have been lumped together..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2010, 07:31 AM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,732,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweethomeSanAntonio View Post
Ranally city rating system - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

city rating descriptionExamples (* indicates a complete listing)1-

*1 AAAAUnique rating for New York New York City
Quote:

Quote:

heh.

Old 06-11-2010, 07:55 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,294,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzpost View Post
How could Fort Worth be ranked behind places like Little Rock, Omaha, Peoria, Tulsa, Wichita, Buffalo, Youngstown, Baton Rouge, Grand Rapids, etc? Heck, I could name just about every city on the 2-AA list.the list goes on.
Perhaps because it's about "regional" influence. St. Paul and Oakland have the same problem. They're much more influential than many 2-AA cities, but their regional influence is overshadowed by Minneapolis and San Francisco. They should probably add Newark to the list as well.

Old 06-11-2010, 08:03 AM

196 posts, read 614,224 times
Quote:

*1-AAAUnique rating for Chicago and Los AngelesChicago, Los Angeles

*1-AA Major national business centers Atlanta, Boston, Cleveland, Dallas, Detroit, Houston, Miami, Minneapolis, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, St. Louis, San Francisco, and Washington, D.C. (13 cities)

*1-A Other national business centersBaltimore, Cincinnati, Columbus, Denver, Indianapolis, Kansas City, Milwaukee, New Orleans, Oklahoma City, Phoenix, Portland, San Antonio, San Diego, and Seattle (14 cities)

*2-AA Major regional business centersAlbany, Albuquerque, Allentown, Austin, Baton Rouge, Birmingham, Buffalo, Charlotte, Columbia, Dayton, Des Moines, El Paso, Grand Rapids, Harrisburg, Hartford, Honolulu, Jackson, Jacksonville, Knoxville, Las Vegas, Lexington, Little Rock, Louisville, Madison, Memphis, Nashville, New Haven, Norfolk, Omaha, Orlando, Peoria, Providence, Raleigh, Richmond, Rochester, Sacramento, Salt Lake City, Shreveport, Spokane, Springfield, MA, Syracuse, Tampa, Toledo, Tucson, Tulsa, West Palm Beach, Wichita, and Youngstown (48 cities)

*2-BBSecondary major regional business centersAkron, Fort Lauderdale, Fort Worth, Oakland, St. Paul, St. Petersburg, San Jose, Wilmington
Not bad for the most part. BUT, inevitably a few quibbles:

- Cleveland, Minneapolis, St. Louis, Pittsburgh above Baltimore, New Orleans, Seattle, Denver?
- Cincinnati, Oklahoma City above Nashville, Austin, Las Vegas?

Now I feel like I'm trashing the Midwest... not my intent! I guess they need those cities to be up there to represent the region.

Washington could be on par w/ LA and Chicago, but is probably better off where it is, on par with SF and Boston.

Old 06-11-2010, 08:07 AM

3,390 posts, read 4,950,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
Perhaps because it's about "regional" influence. St. Paul and Oakland have the same problem. They're much more influential than many 2-AA cities, but their regional influence is overshadowed by Minneapolis and San Francisco. They should probably add Newark to the list as well.
But how does being "overshadowed" by Dallas impact the city's importance as a business center. If anything, since it's sitting right next to Dallas, that should be more of a boon than a bust to the city. Fort Worth has far more business centers, fortune 500 companies, etc. than any of those cities. It's home to American Airlines, D.R. Horton, BNSF Railway and XTO Energy; all fortune 500 companies. Then there are many major employers in the area as well. This isn't a "homerism" post; I'm just really scratching my head. I don't by the "overshadowed" scenario, although it's much appreciated. Just because a city is overshadowed by another (in this case, Dallas), that shouldn't impede it's ranking on how important it is.

Fort Worth has more people in its city proper than the entire metropolitan area of Little Rock, and most of those other cities in the tier above it. And let's not forget this is a "Business" ranking; I just can't see Little Rock, Tulsa, etc. being more important as a business center than FW. FW is sitting in a 6.5 million population metropolitan area, the fact that it is sitting in that size of a market alone should make it a more important business center.

Old 06-11-2010, 08:47 AM

5,717 posts, read 16,347,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clean_polo View Post
^ What? Warriors?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGruber View Post
uhhh what?
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Silicon Valley=LeBron James??? Que?
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
Nope.

Chicago = Michael Jordan
Los Angeles = Kobe Bryant

Guess what? LOL those astonishing players actually played in those cities.

For San Jose (Silicon Valley) doesn't have a basketball team, so I suppose you're talking about San Francisco's, then I'll give you Wilt Chamberlain.

You may now compare Silicon Valley in those terms!

That's pretty much it!

Just playing with you, hopefully you wont take it offensively! =)
I was referring to San Jose and Akron being on the same level. Was it that hard to figure out?

And the Warriors play in Oakland.

Old 06-11-2010, 08:52 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,739,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
I was referring to San Jose and Akron being on the same level. Was it that hard to figure out?

And the Warriors play in Oakland.
Based on this list, it looks like cities like San Jose and Fort Worth were put to the side because of the bigger powerhouses right next door for whatever reason.

Old 06-11-2010, 08:55 AM

1,606 posts, read 3,342,269 times
AAAA, AAA & AA seem right to me, but I'm surprised Seattle is rated as an A rather than AA!

Old 06-11-2010, 08:57 AM

2,531 posts, read 6,249,581 times
I don't understand how Cleveland ranks above Seattle, but whatever...

Old 06-11-2010, 09:12 AM

1,859 posts, read 5,026,670 times
Quote:

*1-AAAUnique rating for Chicago and Los AngelesChicago, Los Angeles

*1-AA Major national business centers Atlanta, Boston, Cleveland, Dallas, Detroit, Houston, Miami, Minneapolis, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, St. Louis, San Francisco, and Washington, D.C. (13 cities)

*1-A Other national business centersBaltimore, Cincinnati, Columbus, Denver, Indianapolis, Kansas City, Milwaukee, New Orleans, Oklahoma City, Phoenix, Portland, San Antonio, San Diego, and Seattle (14 cities)

*2-AA Major regional business centersAlbany, Albuquerque, Allentown, Austin, Baton Rouge, Birmingham, Buffalo, Charlotte, Columbia, Dayton, Des Moines, El Paso, Grand Rapids, Harrisburg, Hartford, Honolulu, Jackson, Jacksonville, Knoxville, Las Vegas, Lexington, Little Rock, Louisville, Madison, Memphis, Nashville, New Haven, Norfolk, Omaha, Orlando, Peoria, Providence, Raleigh, Richmond, Rochester, Sacramento, Salt Lake City, Shreveport, Spokane, Springfield, MA, Syracuse, Tampa, Toledo, Tucson, Tulsa, West Palm Beach, Wichita, and Youngstown (48 cities)

*2-BBSecondary major regional business centersAkron, Fort Lauderdale, Fort Worth, Oakland, St. Paul, St. Petersburg, San Jose, Wilmington
A few of those 2-AA should be moved to 2-BB IMO like Youngstown & Shreveport and a few should be moved up to 1-A like Charlotte & Austin. For the most part though, list seems fairly accurate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City