Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 01:34 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,384,247 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by clean_polo View Post
Why doesn't it have a CSA?
I don't think this is the right topic to do it in, but simply put there are no counties in South Florida that send enough commuters to Palm Beach, Broward, and Miami-Dade Counties to qualify as a CSA. However, Palm Beach, Broward, and Miami-Dade Counties send enough commuters to EACH OTHER to make it a cohesive MSA.

The US census bureau works in weird ways. However, given the conditions, it would be ranked after Atlanta in population BUT I think it has enough national importance to be compared
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2010, 02:32 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,186,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
I don't think this is the right topic to do it in, but simply put there are no counties in South Florida that send enough commuters to Palm Beach, Broward, and Miami-Dade Counties to qualify as a CSA. However, Palm Beach, Broward, and Miami-Dade Counties send enough commuters to EACH OTHER to make it a cohesive MSA.

The US census bureau works in weird ways. However, given the conditions, it would be ranked after Atlanta in population BUT I think it has enough national importance to be compared
Oh so your saying there really isn't a dominant county?

Old 06-11-2010, 02:58 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,049,308 times
I rep the Red, White, & Blue, all day everyday for everything!

Old 06-11-2010, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Oh so your saying there really isn't a dominant county?
Not what I'm saying at all (since the commuters have to go SOMEWHERE!) but all it is really is # of commuters per county.

Anyways, I thought this topic would have more responses than it does right now.

For reference, here's what the US looks like at the national level:

If anyone's curious at what it looks like at the national level:

United States: United States - Selected Social Characteristics in the United States: 2006-2008

1. German: 16.8% of the population
2. Irish: 12.0% of the population
3. African-American: 10.6% of the population
4. Mexican: 9.7% of the population
5. English: 9.3% of the population
6. American: 6.4% of the population
7. Italian: 5.9% of the population
8. Polish: 3.3% of the population
9. French: 3.2% of the population
10. Scottish: 2.0% of the population

Top 10 ancestries nationally: 79.2% of the population

I wonder if the numbers of "English" would go up if there was no "American" category (since the most "Americans" on the census are in the South, where its most Anglo and Scotch-Irish). In any case, its pretty clear that the US as a whole is still pretty dominated by those from the British Isles (Irish+English+"American"+Scottish=29.7% of the population), with Western Europeans being the next prolific (German + French + Italian = 25.9% of the population), Italy being both in Southern and Western Europe simultaneously.

Like before, 8 of the groups would be considered White, 1 would be Black, and 1 would be Hispanic. 5 out of 10 metropolitan areas are like this as well (DC, Atlanta, Chicago, Philly, and DFW).

Even more telling from this statistic is that out of the top 11 most populated metropolitan regions, 4 are above the national average for the top 10 most prolific ancestries (DFW at 79.8%, Philadelphia at 96.5%, Chicago at 90.7%, and Boston at 88.2%) Shows that cities and metro regions aren't ALWAYS the most ethnically diverse places, but could be shown by other factors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
I rep the Red, White, & Blue, all day everyday for everything!
Then you can join the 6.4% of people who said the same thing in the US Census I wonder what it takes for someone to mark down they are "American" on the US census, instead of being a box checker like most people

Old 06-11-2010, 03:43 PM

1,854 posts, read 4,922,535 times
Portland-Vancouver-Beaverton OR-WA MSA:

What does "American" mean? Native? For the African-American number are we supposed to use the "black alone" figure or just the total? I used the total...

1. German - 22.6%
2. English - 13.2%
3. Irish - 12.9%
4. Mexican - 8.1%
5. Norwegian - 4.6%
6. American - 4.4%
7. French - 3.9%
7. Italian - 3.9%
9. African-American - 3.6%
9. Scottish - 3.6%
9. Swedish - 3.6%

Total of top 10 = 84.4%

Old 06-11-2010, 04:56 PM

93,329 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWereRabbit View Post
keep in mind it's the metro. I bet the city of the Philly has more Italians than Germans. But i suppose you would know better than me anyways.

Boston is the only one that just has 10 "white" ethnicities. so we definitely make a run at "least diverse" too. Boston and the Bay Area are the only areas where African-Americans are not #1,2 or 3. One thing about Boston's black community is that there are less African-Americans than most US cities but there are is a fairly significant population of Haitians, and Cape Verdeans. So it's not like everyone is white, the black community is just more heavily foreign than in other cities. The ethnicities of Boston that aren't too common elsewhere are definately Portugeese (along with Brazillian and Cape Verdean), Cambodian (in Lowell), and French-Canadian (i would guess that more than half of the 10% who said "French" are actually Quebecois in addition to the 5% who listed "French-Canadian").
Great point and many people don't think about this with Boston. You also have Blacks with ties to Nova Scotia and New Brunswick in Canada, as well as from Western African countries like Sierra Leone and Nigeria as well. There are quite a few with ties to Barbados and Jamaica too. It has a Caribbean community that is very underrated. Can't forget Brazilians and Black Hispanics from the Dominican Republic and other countries. So, the Black community in the Boston area is very diverse.

Old 06-12-2010, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX_LAX View Post
Portland-Vancouver-Beaverton OR-WA MSA:

What does "American" mean? Native? For the African-American number are we supposed to use the "black alone" figure or just the total? I used the total...
"American" is basically anyone who doesn't know what their ancestries are and identify with America the most. Most commonly, this self-report ancestry is found the most in the South, where European immigration wasn't extremely high. That's why I assume that most of these people are either English, Scottish, or Scotch-Irish (Protestants living in Ireland but relocated to the New World to avoid living with 'heathens')

I really thought this thread would get more hits, especially from those complaining about seeing "ethnic diversity in states"

Old 06-12-2010, 01:58 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Quote:
Why doesn't it have a CSA?
Miami doesnt have a CSA because its MSA doesnt have enough people commuting into it from another MSA. No matter its still huge. Miami & Phoenix are the two largest MSAs not part of a CSA.

Old 06-12-2010, 02:18 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,186,790 times
I see.

Old 06-12-2010, 02:29 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times
Quote:
So Miami is 11th in CSA but I believe it's 7th in MSA. Interesting.
Miami doesn't belong to a CSA. The only metropolitan area categorized by the Census Bureau for greater Miami is its 3 county MSA: MiamiDade; Broward and Palm Beach Counties. It's not part of CSA that is cast wide over dozens of counties. It's also tightly contained between the ocean to its east and the wetlands (Everglades, etc.) to its west.
Over time, greater Miami will statiscally diminish because other (non land locked) metros will continue to sprawl and add population while Miami will grow denser and more slowly. But, for those of us in the Miami area, we know that our metro has the most potential to expand in an urban model because there simply isn't a choice to grow with sprawl.

To the OP, if Miami had a greater Asian population, it would hands down be the most diverse place in America. So, the debate goes on....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City