Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think New York City's boroughs stand a fighting chance?
Yes, the boroughs have a competitive chance 51 56.04%
No, the boroughs don't stand any chance whatsoever 33 36.26%
I don't know enough about the boroughs to compare 7 7.69%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 10:43 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,406,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I was responding specifically to a claim that everything that appeared in the bolded text (working class, middle class, wealthy, West Indian, Italian, Greek, Puerto Rican and Indian neighborhoods) could be found in San Francisco, with the exception of the U.S. Open complex. To my knowledge, there are no West Indian and Puerto Rican neighborhoods in San Francisco, but I could be wrong. We don't even have a Puerto Rican neighborhood in Washington, DC.

The odd thing is that the Burmese and Tibetan populations are not even that large in SF (or anywhere really for that matter) and Queens has sizable populations of both groups (relative to their numbers in the general population).

Tibetan American - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Burmese American - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There are probably as many Hawaiians and Samoans in NYC as there are Trinidadians and Barbadians in San Francisco.
queens has a lot of puerto ricans , basically puerto ricans live all over queens in nearly every area(except howard beach , and rockaway beach)

but theirs no puerto rican area in queens where puerto ricans are concentrated in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2010, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarn View Post
The City of Chicago's population is only 50% of Cook County. I don't understand how this is a more applicable comparison.
no kings country is basically only brooklyn, so you cant compare cook country to kings county.

Old 06-23-2010, 12:12 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
KONY, I think you are getting New York County (Manhattan Borough) mixed up with The City of Greater New York (the 5 boroughs). It is confusing so I will try to clear a few things up the best I can.

The City of Brooklyn NEVER merged or has ever been part of New York County --- not even today. Manhattan = New York County and Brooklyn = Kings County, its been that way ever since 1683.

Actually, New York City WAS defined just to Manhattan Island (NY County) for over 200 years. Before the Civil War, New York City was just on Manhattan Island. This is why people in the outer boroughs still call Manhattan "the City". In fact at one time even the Northern part of Manhattan Island was independent, the Town of Harlem.

NYC was NOT always 5 boroughs. Its only been like since 1898. In 1898 the City of Greater New York was formed:

New York County = Manhattan and the Bronx*
Kings County = Brooklyn
Queens County = Queens
Richmond County = Staten Island

* The Bronx became a independent county in 1912.
Interesting history lesson. No wonder people in the other boroughs still refer to Manhattan as "The City". I always wondered that, because I always thought to myself, "If all the Boroughs make up ONE city, then WHY in the heck do people call Manhattan The City?" It always bothered me. The boroughs seem to be so independent of each other, that they don't even acknowledge each others presence as ONE city, that's what it always seemed like to me as an outsider non-New Yorker.

Old 06-23-2010, 12:30 AM

3,717 posts, read 8,184,507 times
^ People in New Jersey call Manhattan "the city" too, I always call Manhattan the city. Just like we say were taking the train, I rarely ever say "I'm taking the subway to Yankee Stadium" I say "I'm taking the train to Yankee Stadium". Subway is such a tourist word lol, well atleast to me. Even though I do love the Subway Series (Yankees vs. Mets) Go Yanks!

Last edited by clean_polo; 06-23-2010 at 12:43 AM..

Old 06-23-2010, 07:08 AM

3,003 posts, read 6,090,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Interesting history lesson. No wonder people in the other boroughs still refer to Manhattan as "The City". I always wondered that, because I always thought to myself, "If all the Boroughs make up ONE city, then WHY in the heck do people call Manhattan The City?" It always bothered me. The boroughs seem to be so independent of each other, that they don't even acknowledge each others presence as ONE city, that's what it always seemed like to me as an outsider non-New Yorker.
The term doesnt make sense though. People from the bronx call manhattan downtown not the city. And while the boroughs have a high level of indepedence, they're all still heavily connected. The traffic flowing between them shows that

Old 06-23-2010, 01:07 PM

I used to chill with this chick in Brooklyn, and whenever she wanted to go to Manhattan she would call me up and say "you wanna go to the city?"

Old 06-23-2010, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clean_polo View Post
I used to chill with this chick in Brooklyn, and whenever she wanted to go to Manhattan she would call me up and say "you wanna go to the city?"
same here but then again i use that phrase all the time

Old 06-23-2010, 02:13 PM

Me too .

Old 06-23-2010, 02:56 PM

1,604 posts, read 3,884,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post

I want to know why La's csa range encompasses so much mileage in the first place. As it stands i think Nyc csa shouldnt include new jersey or connecticut its unfair, those are two seperate states
I see how this bothers people, but remember, NYC is located on the part of NYC that tapers off as it gets closer to the ocean. Much more land in NJ and CT is closer to NYC than in NY state. Life in Northern NJ (I can't speak for CT, but would suspect it to be the same) is very intertwined with NYC. News, TV stations, radio stations, jobs, day trips/nights out, often are in NYC or have something to do with it.

Also, geographically speaking, is anyone else REALLY bothered by the fact that Staten Island isn't a part of NJ. Not that we'd want it it's just it really bothers me every time I look at a map.

Old 06-23-2010, 03:34 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
The term doesnt make sense though. People from the bronx call manhattan downtown not the city. And while the boroughs have a high level of indepedence, they're all still heavily connected. The traffic flowing between them shows that
You see, that term "downtown" makes MORE sense than "The City". Think of it this way, ALL 5 boroughs make up ONE city, and the main CBD(Central Business District) of NYC is Manhattan. The same way some who lives in say, Houston would say "I'm headed to downtown Houston" they're usually talking about the Houston's CBD which is downtown. The same should apply for NYC and Manhattan being the MAIN CBD of the 5 boroughs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City