Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think New York City's boroughs stand a fighting chance?
Yes, the boroughs have a competitive chance 51 56.04%
No, the boroughs don't stand any chance whatsoever 33 36.26%
I don't know enough about the boroughs to compare 7 7.69%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 03:48 PM

30 posts, read 28,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
You see, that term "downtown" makes MORE sense than "The City". Think of it this way, ALL 5 boroughs make up ONE city, and the main CBD(Central Business District) of NYC is Manhattan. .
No. Midtown Manhattan and the financial district DOWNTOWN are huge cbd's but large parts of Manhattan are strictly residential or mixed. Also Manhattan has a downtown so if you'd call the entire island of Manhattan "downtown" what you would say when going to J&R: I am going to the downtown of dowtown? New Yorkers call Manhattan the city which reflects the old days when the boros were independent and much less urban than Manhattan i.e. the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2010, 04:36 PM

528 posts, read 1,185,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theATLien View Post
^^^^^
Good check... I think it's better to compare county vs county rather than city vs county

This is a very intresting question.

I don't think they compare well though.
I'll have to disagree, because Brooklyn used to be its own city. And the entire county is tiny, uniformly populated, and just as urban as the city of chicago. The whole of cook county however is HUUUGE, and includes suburbs and other municipalities.

Old 06-23-2010, 05:22 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,093,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatwasthat View Post
No. Midtown Manhattan and the financial district DOWNTOWN are huge cbd's but large parts of Manhattan are strictly residential or mixed. Also Manhattan has a downtown so if you'd call the entire island of Manhattan "downtown" what you would say when going to J&R: I am going to the downtown of dowtown? New Yorkers call Manhattan the city which reflects the old days when the boros were independent and much less urban than Manhattan i.e. the city.
With the bronx and uptown in general, the word downtown simply refers to both midtown and downtown. Your either heading uptown or downtown no matter where your at in manhattan anyway so i guess just calling it downtown stuck that way.

When going to a residential area like harlem you just say im heading to harlem,the heights etc

The bronx was apart of new york county before it became a borough and was an extension of manhattan. Thats reflected in its street number system today. Besides that was the 1800's when brooklyn was its own city. People just say the city because city=skyscrapers. Brooklynites say im heading uptown when refering to northern manhattan

Old 06-23-2010, 09:27 PM

2,957 posts, read 6,476,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
You see, that term "downtown" makes MORE sense than "The City". Think of it this way, ALL 5 boroughs make up ONE city, and the main CBD(Central Business District) of NYC is Manhattan. The same way some who lives in say, Houston would say "I'm headed to downtown Houston" they're usually talking about the Houston's CBD which is downtown. The same should apply for NYC and Manhattan being the MAIN CBD of the 5 boroughs.
I fully agree that in theory this should be the case. SF transplants that come from many other places have a tendency to call downtown SF "the City," and its always annoyed me as well. If you're within SF's city limits you're in "the City," and if you're in downtown SF you're in downtown. I've had transplants two neighborhoods away from downtown talking about "going to the City" lol, and I'd be like, "you're already here, dumba$$!"

But in Manhattan's case, I can see why people would call it that. Its still a bit unorthodox to me, but I got used to it real quick. At least Manhattan is big enough to be a city in its own right. But I think calling it "downtown" would make more sense too.

Old 06-23-2010, 09:56 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,951,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatwasthat View Post
But at the end of the day, it's still ONE city.

Old 06-24-2010, 07:43 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,541,261 times
^^ yeah, but many people in the boroughs (especially Queens & Staten Island) call Manhattan the city.

that's just how it is..

even people from CT, LI and Jersey call Manhattan the city. when people say their going to the city, everyone assumes its Manhattan. otherwise, the person would specify what boro they're headed to like Brooklyn or Queens.

i've never heard someone tell me that they are going to "the city" when they are going to Staten Island. they would just tell me theyr'e heading into Staten Island.

Last edited by john_starks; 06-24-2010 at 07:53 AM..

Old 06-24-2010, 08:35 AM

32,108 posts, read 34,732,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
When going to a residential area like harlem you just say im heading to harlem,the heights etc
People sometimes refer to Harlem as "Uptown." They refer to the Bronx as "Uptown" as well, so I guess it can be confusing, or you just consider both Harlem and the Bronx to be Uptown. In my mind, I consider Harlem to be Uptown and the Bronx as something different. The subway signs even say "Uptown and the Bronx."

When I think downtown NYC, I think Wall Street, WTC, Battery Park area. Even coming from Harlem, I would never think of the Empire State Building as being downtown. If I were headed somewhere around Times Square, I would tell people that I'm going to Midtown.

Then again, I do know a lot of New Yorkers who consider anything below the Park to be "Downtown." So even if they were going to Times Square, they'd say they're going "Downtown."

At the end of the day, though, I'm not sure it really matters. If I were in Chelsea or Harlem, I'd just tell people, "I'm in Chelsea," or "I'm up on 137th."

Last edited by BajanYankee; 06-24-2010 at 09:00 AM..

Old 06-24-2010, 10:22 AM

3,003 posts, read 6,093,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
People sometimes refer to Harlem as "Uptown." They refer to the Bronx as "Uptown" as well, so I guess it can be confusing, or you just consider both Harlem and the Bronx to be Uptown. In my mind, I consider Harlem to be Uptown and the Bronx as something different. The subway signs even say "Uptown and the Bronx."

When I think downtown NYC, I think Wall Street, WTC, Battery Park area. Even coming from Harlem, I would never think of the Empire State Building as being downtown. If I were headed somewhere around Times Square, I would tell people that I'm going to Midtown.

Then again, I do know a lot of New Yorkers who consider anything below the Park to be "Downtown." So even if they were going to Times Square, they'd say they're going "Downtown."

At the end of the day, though, I'm not sure it really matters. If I were in Chelsea or Harlem, I'd just tell people, "I'm in Chelsea," or "I'm up on 137th."
Ya i say harlem as i'm coming from the bronx. With hip hop, the bronx and harlem had a strong connection and both were just called uptown I guess that stuck.

The whole downtown thing is really just a bronx thing. Downtown simply just means anything not considered uptown.

The whole "city" thing annoys me because it doesn't really make sense. The bronx is too urban for me to say that. When going to manhattan, im simply going to the downtown of my city

Old 06-24-2010, 11:04 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,935,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
^^ yeah, but many people in the boroughs (especially Queens & Staten Island) call Manhattan the city.

that's just how it is..

even people from CT, LI and Jersey call Manhattan the city. when people say their going to the city, everyone assumes its Manhattan. otherwise, the person would specify what boro they're headed to like Brooklyn or Queens.

i've never heard someone tell me that they are going to "the city" when they are going to Staten Island. they would just tell me theyr'e heading into Staten Island.

I would agree, even in Philly many times when people say the "city", they are referring to Manahttan, and most definately true among NYers

Old 06-24-2010, 08:06 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,253,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post

that's just how it is..

Bingo! You hit the nail on the head.

Its because of centuries old tradition that people still call Manhattan the city. Again remember for 250 years, New York City was confined to Manhattan Island and the rest of the Metropolitian area was mostly rural. Only in the 1870s did NYC expand off island into what is now The Bronx.

Approx. area population in the year 1840 when only Manhattan Island was New York City

New York County (Manhattan)-----312,710
Kings County (Brooklyn)------------47,613
Queens County--------------------14,480
Richmond County (Staten Island)---10,965
The Bronx (part of Westchester)-----5,346
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City