Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think New York City's boroughs stand a fighting chance?
Yes, the boroughs have a competitive chance 51 56.04%
No, the boroughs don't stand any chance whatsoever 33 36.26%
I don't know enough about the boroughs to compare 7 7.69%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 05:41 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,043,145 times

Advertisements

I think everyone here is putting too much emphasis on the skyline criteria, that's not what defines a great city.

I'm surprised no one even tried to fill in the dots.

I matched Staten Island with Cleveland for the same reason I described in one of my responses. The theater and arts and museums and zoo's and all of those things, the transportation being comparable (even though SI LRT is a proposal- it will make things more comparable) the water front, and culture, entertainment, and things to do are similar.

Los Angeles with Manhattan due to the media influence, glamor, shopping, tourism, etc... not because of the skyline or natural scenery. (which really helps Los Angeles overall)

Brooklyn with Chicago because they're both rich with history, if you recount their history, you'll feel the similarity between both. The culture of Brooklyn, IMO seems most closely with Chicago as far as any other large (yes large) cities go. The transportation background, the amenities, all the things you can do in both areas resemble each other greatly. (factor out skyline, factor out O'Hare Airport and compare what Brooklyn has to offer with it's Chicago counterpart).

Queens and San Francisco, the comparison came from deduction from my previous overall diversity thread, the things eek pointed out just really helped compare them more. I was actually hoping for a cultural comparison between these two actually, and maybe other factors you could think up they would have in common.

The Bronx and Philadelphia, I picked it because both of these places have that stereotypical view of being "rough around the edges" and their large sports centers for both their cities. There's quite a lot you can compare. You don't have to say Center City = smaller Manhattan, you just have to compare the similarities and note some differences between the two regions.

I can see a lot of people misunderstood my thread, I see a lot of people bringing in their own list of cities to match with these boroughs (which I kind of didn't want- was trying to derive similarities to show boroughs being influential/strong enough to stand their ground in categories against other cities), that was my main point. Somewhere along the line a lot of you lost focus and started comparing skyline to skyline (which doesn't say a city is better- bigger, etc).

The question was "do you think the borough's can put a good effort when compared to cities (the ones I personally picked) or do they come crumbling down and face no match?" 22 people (including myself) have said yes, but besides eek & KONY, and a few others like John_Starks I haven't really seen anyone post anything to defend why they said yes. Which just makes it a stale response. Haha.

When you compare Philadelphia to New York City, many of us can say that New York City easily, but why? Because it offers more, it takes what Philadelphia has and puts it on a grand scale, but that doesn't mean Philadelphia isn't comparable to New York City. Which is why I put these specific cities against the boroughs, because I actually do think (whether they can beat the cities or not) they ARE comparable. (Granted the match up isn't the best- but you should be ready for just about any match up) Which is why I advise everyone here to just stick to the boroughs and the specific cities I listed and not throw in your own ideal match ups or cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2010, 07:26 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,328,314 times
I'm really interested in doing the San Francisco vs Queens comparison, I think it'll be very close.

Old 06-14-2010, 07:43 PM

1,405 posts, read 2,449,914 times
Each borough can stand on it's own feet.

People that's not from NYC always seem to think we need "Manhattan" We really don't. We all have our own unique history and art WHICH is why when we ALL come together we are (arguably) the greatest city.

Now in my opinion Brooklyn takes the cake. Yes Chicago is an amazing city with lost to offer but Brooklyn offers alot more. Our skyline isn't the best yet (We're getting an arena and alot of new condo's) but that doesn't define a city. Our shopping,food,history and many other things that makes us different, defines us.

We have Prospect Park, The Botanical Garden, Brooklyn Bridge, Brooklyn Museum and alot more to offer.

In short all 5 Boroughs make up NYC and nothing could tear us apart. Someday we'll be our own State New York City State :-p (Too much pride.)

Old 06-14-2010, 08:02 PM

2,549 posts, read 3,979,768 times
OmShahi, it's not about the skylines but you have to be more specific as to what categories are we comparing both cities to (if where to compare beyond skylines and transits systems that is). However, keep in mind though that over all no two cities are exactly alike.

As for Brooklyn and Chicago similarities, here are some contrasts. A NY style Nathan's is going to taste different than a Chicago style Vienna dog. Another category is the dialect accent. No way is the Brooklyn accent similar to a Chicago accent going back 2nd or 3rd generation. 1st generation foreign non-native immigrant accents don't count. I grew up with both I can tell no similarity there. As far as accents go, the only city in the entire country that share the exact immigrant stock of the downtown brooklynese accent spanning many generations is right in New Orleans located in the lower 9th ward near Arabi. The Yat talk is shockingly similar to a Brooklyn accent. If you're ever down in New Orleans (9 dialects) and you happen hear a brooklyn accent chances are they aren't New Yorkers. I was fooled by it when the lady cab driver said she's never even been to New York after asking but explained a bit about the local dialect. She told me that I wasn't the first tourist to ask. Originally, I thought New Orleans had just only one southern cajun accent boy boy was I wrong.

So what I'm saying is that for each specific category(s) Brooklyn is going have a list of other cities that it's going to have more in common with than with just Chicago. Like I said no two cities are exactly alike. I think posting a list of specific categories would be helpful so we can all be on the same page.
However, you'll find some contrasts if compared head to head in every specified category.

Last edited by urbanologist; 06-14-2010 at 08:32 PM..

Old 06-14-2010, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuddedLeather View Post
Now in my opinion Brooklyn takes the cake. Yes Chicago is an amazing city with lost to offer but Brooklyn offers alot more.
That's a "broad" claim...can you be a bit more specific and back that up with some factual sources? Sure it may have more in some things but in everything??
Please explain why it has a lot more and in what? Rather Chicago or Brooklyn comes out ahead makes no difference to me. I just want to know how specifically they are different in each category.

Old 06-14-2010, 08:19 PM

210 posts, read 173,059 times
omg lol ur so right, i was in new orleans and i heard accents that sounded similar to new yorkese. i thought i was back home, i had to pinch myself.

whats the story behind this ?

Old 06-14-2010, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanologist View Post
OmShahi, it's not about the skylines but you have to be more specific as to what categories are we comparing both cities to (if where to compare beyond skylines and transits systems that is). However, keep in mind though that over all no two cities are exactly alike.
I'm not from New York, everytime I have visited has been the tourists spots, I can't tell posters what criteria they should be comparing because I'm not familiar enough with a place to do that.

Quote:
As for Brooklyn and Chicago, a NY style Nathan's is going to taste different than a Chicago style Vienna dog. Another category is the dialect accent. No way is the Brooklyn accent the same as a Chicago accent 2nd or 3rd generation. 1st generation foreign non-native immigrant accents don't count. I grew up with both I can tell no similarity there. As far as accents go, the only city in the entire country that share the exact immigrant stock of the downtown brooklynese accent spanning many generations is right in New Orleans located in the lower 9th ward near Arabi. The Yat talk is shockingly similar to a Brooklyn accent. If you're ever down in New Orleans (9 dialects) and you happen hear a brooklyn accent chances are they aren't New Yorkers. I was fooled by it but the in one of the events the lady cab driver said she's never even been to New York but explained a bit about the local dialect. She told me that I wasn't the first tourist to ask. Originally, I thought New Orleans had just only one southern cajun accent boy boy was I wrong.
^^ That's what I mean, people need to be proactive and do comparisons on their own like that, you can't expect me to do everything. I'm actually putting my self in a New Yorkers shoe and trying to prove how Staten Island actually can keep up with Cleveland. (See my first response).

Ehhh whatever, I'm out.

Old 06-14-2010, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BX-ALBO View Post
omg lol ur so right, i was in new orleans and i heard accents that sounded similar to new yorkese. i thought i was back home, i had to pinch myself.

whats the story behind this ?
She was actually a displaced New Yorker in disguise. Actually, I discovered this when I visited New Orleans for the first time last year. When the lady cab driver was taking me to the French Quarter she had this deep sounding Brooklyn type accent. I thought to myself may be she's from NY. Since the suspense and curiosity was killing me I had ask her if she was from New York. She laughed and told me that she's never even been to NY but has lived New Orleans all her life. She says it's not uncommon for out of towners asking about her accent. She told me she even fooled some New Yorkers once because they were talking to her about the northeast.

Right now I live in Baton Rouge. Just this past Saturday I had gone to a running club event. I noticed that some of the members who were from New Orleans had that yaty type accent. I wasn't going to be rude by going around asking so I left it at that but I do find it rather interesting though. I use to live and work around New Yorkers everyday while living in South Florida so that's how I was able to tell the similarity.

Old 06-14-2010, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
I'm not from New York, everytime I have visited has been the tourists spots, I can't tell posters what criteria they should be comparing because I'm not familiar enough with a place to do that.
That why we need someone from Brooklyn or Chicago to spill the beans on the comparisons. Example, Does Brooklyn have it's own version of Michigan Avenue or like a Park Avenue in Manhattan on a similar grand scale when it comes major department stores lined up along the street spanning many blocks for shopping other than mom n pops?

Quote:
^^ That's what I mean, people need to be proactive and do comparisons on their own like that, you can't expect me to do everything.

Ehhh whatever, I'm out.
I'm not saying you have have all the answers. I was thinking if you could list categories so the others could fill in the blanks and back the answers up with examples.

example>

architecture
schools
economy
industries
foods (what kind..not who has more hot dog stands)
music
accents
immigration stock
climate
geography
etc.

Old 06-14-2010, 09:47 PM

Quote:
That why we need someone from Brooklyn or Chicago to spill the beans on the comparisons. Example, Does Brooklyn have it's own version of Michigan Avenue or like a Park Avenue in Manhattan on a similar grand scale when it comes major department stores lined up along the street spanning many blocks for shopping other than mom n pops?

I'm not saying you have have all the answers. I was thinking if you could list categories so the others could fill in the blanks and back the answers up with examples.

example>

architecture
schools
economy
industries
foods (what kind..not who has more hot dog stands)
music
accents
immigration stock
climate
geography
etc.
You've got an excellent list of criteria.

Add on Education, friendliness, and scenery (man made or natural) and we're in business.

Lol, yeahhh I just get tired of always having to spell things out for everyone, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City