Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More superior city:
Baltimore 74 50.68%
Portland, OR 72 49.32%
Voters: 146. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 10:58 AM

886 posts, read 2,225,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjj View Post
List of U.S. cities with high transit ridership - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A higher percentage of people use transit in bmore than portland
I don't understand this...

List of United States light rail systems by ridership - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Portland: 119,300
Baltimore: 28,800

List of United States rapid transit systems by ridership - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Baltimores: 49,300

That gives Baltimore: 78100

And this leaves out Portlands streetcar ridership, which I think probably averages at least 11k a day.

Considering Portland metro is 2.2 and Baltimore is I think 2.7.... how would a higher percentage use Baltimore??

Old 06-15-2010, 11:01 AM

3,260 posts, read 8,760,563 times
Portland, I didn't like Baltimore that much.

Old 06-15-2010, 03:51 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,956,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skrizzle View Post
I don't understand this...

List of United States light rail systems by ridership - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Portland: 119,300
Baltimore: 28,800

List of United States rapid transit systems by ridership - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Baltimores: 49,300

That gives Baltimore: 78100

And this leaves out Portlands streetcar ridership, which I think probably averages at least 11k a day.

Considering Portland metro is 2.2 and Baltimore is I think 2.7.... how would a higher percentage use Baltimore??
Baltimore is getting an additional subway rider. Never again will I drive downtown during rush hour. Traffic is def. getting worse.

Old 06-15-2010, 04:34 PM

1,854 posts, read 4,919,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I choose Baltimore but i really need to spend more time in portland. Baltimore is a great city. It's location is a belssing and curse in that is it close to everything yet overshawdowed by even bigger cities. standing on it's own it is a large place with a lot to offer. Plus the Bay location is amazing - the Cheseapeake is very under-rated.

Portland's waterfront:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...,_Portland.jpg

http://blog.americanfeast.com/images...20Festival.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2405/...618b5c68a2.jpg

http://ourdrivetoalaska.com/portland3.jpg (broken link)

There are also very swimable, isolated beaches on Sauvie Island in the Columbia about 10 miles northwest of the city.

Old 06-15-2010, 04:49 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,035,535 times
Frankly, I don't like Portland. (I have my personal reasons) I'm going with Baltimore on this one.

Old 06-15-2010, 05:36 PM

27,555 posts, read 28,641,455 times
If you move to the Baltimore area, there's a good chance you'll end up living in the surrounding suburbs. That's where most of the desireable and affluent neighborhoods are.

You're also likely to work, attend school, or have friends and colleagues in either the Baltimore or DC metro areas or both. The cities are very tightly connected. So in a way you get 2 cities for one - it's basically the Baltimore-Washington metro area. And even Philadelphia and NYC aren't too far away.

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 06-15-2010 at 06:31 PM..

Old 06-15-2010, 06:23 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,300,881 times
I'll go with Baltimore. Its East Coast, southish, and has a very nice identity. Its close to DC and a relatively short drive to DC and Phily. I like that it has the aquarium and nice urban core.

That being said I have heard nothing but good things about Portland.

Old 06-16-2010, 07:07 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times
Which do you prefer and why?

I prefer Baltimore, the weather, the culture, the location, the people. I'm just not into the Portland scene...

Which is more urban? probably baltimore, but portland is very walkable, more so than Baltimore
Which has a more utilized and beautiful waterfront? portland
Best foodie scene? Architecture? Public transit? portland best food and stransit, baltimore better architecture
Which parties harder and has more to do in general?
Portland probably wins...

So I'd vote Portland winner in every category except architecture, I still prefer Baltimore though.

Old 06-16-2010, 07:19 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,760,626 times
Which is more urban? Baltimore
Which has a more utilized and beautiful waterfront? Baltimore's is more utilized. Portlands is probably more nature like
Best foodie scene? Architecture? Public transit? Baltimore on the first two. Portland probably has a more efficient light rail, But doesn't have a subway like Baltimore.
Which parties harder and has more to do in general? Not a clue on parties. Baltimore seems funner imo.

Old 06-16-2010, 10:56 PM

9,524 posts, read 16,507,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt345 View Post
Using this logic, Miami also has better public transit than Portland since they also have heavy rail.

Baltimore may have a subway, but hardly anyone uses it - you'll hear lifelong Baltimoreans say, "We have a subway??" and they're being serious; they really don't know it's there. Baltimore still is a very a much a "transit is only for those who can't afford a car" type of town. Portland meanwhile has many more "choice riders" and is renowned by urban planners across the country for it's public transit. Portland also has a bicycle culture that blows away anything Baltimore has.

There's a lot of things that Baltimore does better than Portland (architecture, density, overall urban environment), but transit isn't one of them.
I think people give more praise to the transit system here in Portland than it deserves. It is only light rail and buses and the slowest streetcar on earth. We have no subways thru the downtown. Our system is extensive yes but it is painfully slow and many delays. I work at the airport and there is a direct line to the airport. At night it has been taking me an hour for this trip due to delays. Only 9 miles is my commute. Thats ridiculous. The other problem with our system is Portland itself. There are riders of all types and backrounds but the majority reflect Portland. The poverty stricken, homeless and druggies, not paying their fare. The system is not used in any large amount by business people white collar types going to work. Reason being Portland's population does not reflect that type of employment like as in most big US cities.

I voted for Baltimore based on it is more of a city and reflects more of the American population both in diversity and reality. I don't think Baltimore has better transit though than Portland, but being so close to DC many tap into that system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City