Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 05:23 PM

135 posts, read 296,646 times

Advertisements

I always read about which cities have the best sports teams and biggest sports fan, but, conversely, which ones have the least? In other words, in which cities are watching sports less prevelent or important than other pastimes or hobbies that people might be doing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2012, 05:27 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,166,714 times
Cities out west.

Old 04-06-2012, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
Cities out west.
Could you be more specific? SD and SF are very into their sports teams. Do you mean the pacific northwest? I can see LA, only the Lakers have a huge following.

Old 04-06-2012, 05:36 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,166,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerdancer View Post
Could you be more specific? SD and SF are very into their sports teams. Do you mean the pacific northwest? I can see LA, only the Lakers have a huge following.
Honestly not really. Going to sf is more like going to bar when you go to a game, as far as baseball. Thats why I avoid cheap seats there, otherwise you keep having to stand up for people who have never heard of double fisting two drinks. If SF and SD really loved their teams would they let them go?

Clippers left SD and no body blinked. SF mayor was quoted as saying the 49ers are as good as gone. And LA, well they don't seem to care much for the NFL in general.

It's like that here in Sac too. Plenty of people who couldnt give a you -know- what, if the Kings leave. That's just California. A third of the population is more worried about surf and snow reports. A third is into sports. And a third could care less about any of the aforementioned.

Old 04-06-2012, 05:43 PM

3,678 posts, read 7,219,544 times
Los angeles, everybody seems not to care too much about sports

Old 04-06-2012, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Honestly not really. Going to sf is more like going to bar when you go to a game, as far as baseball. Thats why I avoid cheap seats there, otherwise you keep having to stand up for people who have never heard of double fisting two drinks. If SF and SD really loved their teams would they let them go?

Clippers left SD and no body blinked. SF mayor was quoted as saying the 49ers are as good as gone. And LA, well they don't seem to care much for the NFL in general.

It's like that here in Sac too. Plenty of people who couldnt give a you -know- what, if the Kings leave. That's just California. A third of the population is more worried about surf and snow reports. A third is into sports. And a third could care less about any of the aforementioned.
Well I had heard that there are shootings if you wear the wrong team's shirt in SF, but I did not live there. In SD people are very into the Padres and the Chargers. I would say that surfing and sports specatorship are the most common pastimes. More so than the arts in any capacity. I think in SF it is more balanced.

Old 04-06-2012, 09:30 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,333,624 times
Atlanta lol

Old 04-06-2012, 09:53 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,671,961 times
I have heard that Seattle Mariner fans go to socialize more than root for the team. But that is probably due to the fact that the M's have been so pathetic for years. Once the team competes again, the fans will be totally into it.

On the other hand, Seahawks fans are rabid, whether the team is winning or not. And the soccer Sounders fans are equally enthusiastic.

Old 04-06-2012, 10:25 PM

398 posts, read 751,931 times
people socialize at games? If somebody is trying to socialize with me I'd tell them to shutup I'm watching the game.

Old 04-06-2012, 10:38 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,384,553 times
Quote:
Cities out west.
I would go with this. Probably all of them, with SF and LA leading the pack. People who live in these places have so many recreational and cultural opportunities, not to mention contain so many ethnic folks who couldn't care less, that if one weren't a rabid sports fan, life would still be ok.

I think that places with a big tradition of following both professional and collegiate sports would be a different story. I might imagine Indianapolis, Cincinnati, some of the Florida cities (not Miami, though) and Texas cities. Maybe even Chicago. On another city thread, I drew a "verbal picture" - the working-class Bruce Willis-alike dude shoving a hot dog and a beer down his muzzle at Wrigley Field...and somebody PC got mad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City