Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which stadium is better???
Cotton Bowl 10 20.00%
Rose Bowl 40 80.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 06:14 PM

965 posts, read 1,875,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
Okay, this was the most random thing ever posted on this forum lol. And you're 37? I had you pegged as mid to late 20s. Don't you think you're a bit old for the whole "cocky diva" persona? Though admittedly, I still find your posts hilarious. Not sure the forum would be as fun without you.
Thank you for that.

Part of it is me being obviously facetious. I know I wouldn't be where I am today without having to eat some humble pie and having to embrace maturity along the way. I guess I let my hair down a bit TOO much sometimes, but I say you're only as young or as old as you feel. Nice subtle way of trying to say you think I'm immature though. Well played son

Till we meet again. Back to cocktails!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2010, 06:31 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,795,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overcooked_Oatmeal View Post
I know, but you know I had to get a lick in, LOL. My therapist has been telling me how unproductive pi$$ing everyone off on purpose is. I should listen. See, even a diva like me admits to not being perfect 24/7
Yea and your pet peeve is pissing off Dallas and Dallasites...

Old 06-26-2010, 07:59 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,327,513 times
Quote:
Alright now young man. Don't make me have you go out to the backyard and cut me a switch I did some dominatrix and S&M work in the past in order to pay some bills while I was in between jobs, so I know how to use a whip, and use it well. I ought to get back into it, I was a much calmer and less angry person since I was taking my aggression out on my customers.

Anyway, I may be old enough to be your mama, but I'm hardly old. I'll be 37 years young in December.
you are so funny!

Old 06-26-2010, 08:07 PM

10,138 posts, read 15,948,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Big mistake son.lol
I'm going to get shot by the years end. These guys go hardcore Orange pride there.

My license plate in the front of my car has a Michigan Wolverines student plate- someone left a post note on my car saying some nasty stuff. So I decided to leave my car in Houston from there on out.

Haha, I like how people in Austin go like "eff the Cowboys & Texans" this is LONGHORN central! I laugh everytime and go like "Wolverines!- enough said".

Just to tick them off next school year, I might just get a Oklahoma University shirt and wear it every game day!

Old 06-26-2010, 09:33 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,818,421 times
Quote:
Alright now young man. Don't make me have you go out to the backyard and cut me a switch I did some dominatrix and S&M work in the past in order to pay some bills while I was in between jobs, so I know how to use a whip, and use it well. I ought to get back into it, I was a much calmer and less angry person since I was taking my aggression out on my customers.

Anyway, I may be old enough to be your mama, but I'm hardly old. I'll be 37 years young in December.
37. I can see your GenX cynicism shinning through.lol We Gen Yers are cynical also, just not as pessimistic, we're just apathetic towards the negatives in life.

Old 06-26-2010, 09:36 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,818,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
Yup, a lot of us actually call the Rose Bowl "DKR West" Overcooked (DKR being our stadium here in Austin). The Michigan and USC Rose Bowls were two of the best in the stadiums history. Would of won another ship there this year if it wasn't for injury.
Had Colt's shoulder not gone out, it would've definitely been a victory. But even Garret Gilbert almost led a comeback to the promised land.

Old 06-26-2010, 10:15 PM

22,379 posts, read 38,708,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Had Colt's shoulder not gone out, it would've definitely been a victory. But even Garret Gilbert almost led a comeback to the promised land.

almost means no

http://www.bankrollsports.com/NCAA-F...ionships.shtml

Every college football season there are new teams that show great promise, often they even win the National Championship by the time the season is complete. These teams are not perennial football powerhouses, but they are solid football teams from quality universities. Though they make an occasional appearance in the season ending top ten rankings and occasionally win championships, the elite teams that continually win championships are the main focus of college football.
Let's take a look at the top ten NCAA Division I universities with the most National Championships since 1900:
#1 Notre Dame Fighting Irish - Though their last National Championship was more than twenty years ago, the Fighting Irish are still on top of the heap when it comes to the total amount of titles they've won. Their thirteen titles place them three ahead of the second place college and well ahead of the schools behind that. From the 1910's through the 1980's, the Notre Dame Fighting Irish were able to win at least one National Championship in every decade except the 1950's. In fact, in the 1940's alone they won the National Title on four different occasions.
#2 Alabama Crimson Tide - With twelve National Championships to their credit, the University of Alabama is one of only two colleges with double digit National Titles to their name. Most of their titles were won under the watch of their famous head coach Paul "Bear" Bryant.
#3 (Tie) USC Trojans - The University of Southern California has won nine National Championships, the first in 1931 and the last in 2004. The Trojans won three titles during the 1970's and then back-to-back titles in 2003 and 2004.
#3 (Tie) Michigan Wolverines - The Michigan Wolverines are one of the most storied football programs in all of college football. The Wolverines got off to a great start in the last century by winning the National Title in 1901, 1902, 1903, and 1904. Michigan won it's eighth title in 1948 and didn't follow it up with another one until almost fifty years later when they won their ninth in 1997.
#4 (Tie) Ohio State Buckeyes - The Ohio State Buckeyes have proven themselves year in and year out as one of the class teams in the Big 10. With seven National Championships won by the Buckeyes, Ohio State has seen it's fair share of success.
#4 (Tie) Oklahoma Sooners - One of the more dominant teams of the 1950's and then again the 1970's, the Oklahoma Sooners are one of the all-time great football programs in college football. With the exception of their last two National Titles that came in 1985 and 2000, the Sooners have seemed to win their championships in bunches. They won three titles in the 1950's (1950, 1955, and 1956) and then won back-to-back titles in 1974 and 1975.
#5 Minnesota Golden Gophers - The Minnesota Golden Gophers are the team in this list that usually surprises most casual college football fans. Minnesota has won six National Championships, though none since 1960. In fact, the Golden Gophers have one of the more impressive dynasty claims in that they won five National Titles in eight years from 1934 to 1941 (1934, 1935, 1936, 1940, and 1941).
#6 (Tie) Miami Hurricanes - The Hurricanes' inclusion on this list is really quite amazing as they did not win their first National Championship until 1983. In the next eighteen years they would add four more titles to achieve their current state of owning five National Championships.
#6 (Tie) Nebraska Cornhuskers - Similar to the University of Miami, the University of Nebraska had a late start when it came to accumulating their National Championships. They won their first one in 1970 as part of their back-to-back titles of 1970 and 1971. They then added three titles in four years when they won the National Championship in 1994, 1995, and 1997.
#6 (Tie) Pittsburgh Panthers - The University of Pittsburgh is another team that many would not expect to find on this list though they are the proud owners of five National Championships as well. The team earned their first four titles between 1910 and 1937 and didn't add the fifth one until 1976.
While other colleges routinely place high in the season ending rankings and win National Championships too, it is the dream of every college football fan that their team joins the ranks of the top ten title holders listed above. What universities are closest to joining that elite group? Here are the colleges that have all won four National Titles in Division I college football since 1900: LSU, Texas, Penn State, Princeton, and Harvard.

Old 06-26-2010, 10:22 PM

10,138 posts, read 15,948,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
#3 (Tie) Michigan Wolverines - The Michigan Wolverines are one of the most storied football programs in all of college football. The Wolverines got off to a great start in the last century by winning the National Title in 1901, 1902, 1903, and 1904. Michigan won it's eighth title in 1948 and didn't follow it up with another one until almost fifty years later when they won their ninth in 1997.
Just visited my former school last week. Love that place more than any other school I've seen (Besides Stanford). Ahhh man, I'm feeling homesick now. UT- Austin is nice, but Ann Arbor is simply B-E-A-UTIFUL!

Old 06-26-2010, 10:25 PM

22,379 posts, read 38,708,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
Just visited my former school last week. Love that place more than any other school I've seen (Besides Stanford). Ahhh man, I'm feeling homesick now. UT- Austin is nice, but Ann Arbor is simply B-E-A-UTIFUL!

Old 06-26-2010, 11:08 PM

3,092 posts, read 4,941,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
almost means no

Ten NCAA Football Teams - Most National Championships

Every college football season there are new teams that show great promise, often they even win the National Championship by the time the season is complete. These teams are not perennial football powerhouses, but they are solid football teams from quality universities. Though they make an occasional appearance in the season ending top ten rankings and occasionally win championships, the elite teams that continually win championships are the main focus of college football.
Let's take a look at the top ten NCAA Division I universities with the most National Championships since 1900:
#1 Notre Dame Fighting Irish - Though their last National Championship was more than twenty years ago, the Fighting Irish are still on top of the heap when it comes to the total amount of titles they've won. Their thirteen titles place them three ahead of the second place college and well ahead of the schools behind that. From the 1910's through the 1980's, the Notre Dame Fighting Irish were able to win at least one National Championship in every decade except the 1950's. In fact, in the 1940's alone they won the National Title on four different occasions.
#2 Alabama Crimson Tide - With twelve National Championships to their credit, the University of Alabama is one of only two colleges with double digit National Titles to their name. Most of their titles were won under the watch of their famous head coach Paul "Bear" Bryant.
#3 (Tie) USC Trojans - The University of Southern California has won nine National Championships, the first in 1931 and the last in 2004. The Trojans won three titles during the 1970's and then back-to-back titles in 2003 and 2004.
#4 (Tie) Ohio State Buckeyes - The Ohio State Buckeyes have proven themselves year in and year out as one of the class teams in the Big 10. With seven National Championships won by the Buckeyes, Ohio State has seen it's fair share of success.
#4 (Tie) Oklahoma Sooners - One of the more dominant teams of the 1950's and then again the 1970's, the Oklahoma Sooners are one of the all-time great football programs in college football. With the exception of their last two National Titles that came in 1985 and 2000, the Sooners have seemed to win their championships in bunches. They won three titles in the 1950's (1950, 1955, and 1956) and then won back-to-back titles in 1974 and 1975.
#5 Minnesota Golden Gophers - The Minnesota Golden Gophers are the team in this list that usually surprises most casual college football fans. Minnesota has won six National Championships, though none since 1960. In fact, the Golden Gophers have one of the more impressive dynasty claims in that they won five National Titles in eight years from 1934 to 1941 (1934, 1935, 1936, 1940, and 1941).
#6 (Tie) Miami Hurricanes - The Hurricanes' inclusion on this list is really quite amazing as they did not win their first National Championship until 1983. In the next eighteen years they would add four more titles to achieve their current state of owning five National Championships.
#6 (Tie) Nebraska Cornhuskers - Similar to the University of Miami, the University of Nebraska had a late start when it came to accumulating their National Championships. They won their first one in 1970 as part of their back-to-back titles of 1970 and 1971. They then added three titles in four years when they won the National Championship in 1994, 1995, and 1997.
#6 (Tie) Pittsburgh Panthers - The University of Pittsburgh is another team that many would not expect to find on this list though they are the proud owners of five National Championships as well. The team earned their first four titles between 1910 and 1937 and didn't add the fifth one until 1976.
While other colleges routinely place high in the season ending rankings and win National Championships too, it is the dream of every college football fan that their team joins the ranks of the top ten title holders listed above. What universities are closest to joining that elite group? Here are the colleges that have all won four National Titles in Division I college football since 1900: LSU, Texas, Penn State, Princeton, and Harvard.
Michigan only has 3 consensus national championships. National championships are a crap shoot because a lot of schools claim as many as they want. UT could actually claim 7 if they wanted to but they only claim AP titles (and BCS titles now that the BCS is here). I also promise you that if you ask most hardcore college football fans about who is elite, Pitt and Minn wouldn't make the cut. Espescially not over Texas and Penn State. Their titles all came before the modern era, neither school has been a true powerhouse for years though. A better way to measure all time great programs is by total wins and winning percentage. It's pure numbers and you don't have the uncertainty of the Pre-BCS polls confusing things.

1. Michigan: 877-304-38
2. Texas: 845-321-34
3. Notre Dame: 837-291-42
4. Nebraska: 827-341-41
5. Ohio State: 819-308-53
6. Alabama: 813-316-43
7. Penn State 812-351-43
8. Oklahoma: 796-305-53
9. Tennessee: 783-333-55
10. USC: 774-307-54

Winningest College Football Programs - The 10 Winningest Programs in College Football History
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City