Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What Major city do you think of when the South is mentioned
Dallas 24 11.37%
New Orleans 46 21.80%
Atlanta 134 63.51%
Houston 31 14.69%
Nashville 39 18.48%
Miami 16 7.58%
Charlotte 28 13.27%
Birmingham 61 28.91%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 211. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 04:38 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,845,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Haven't others posted pics of 1st Baptist church and said "It looks like it can be somewhere in Mississippi". Maybe my eyes were deceiving me. I could've sworn someone posted a Jackson MS address.
and that's the same as saying that all of austin looks like mississippi?

i don't know. but hey, in case east austin wasn't doing it for you, how about killeen, texas....WEST of austin by the way:
South 10th Street, Killeen, TX - Google Maps
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2010, 04:56 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,603,780 times
Quote:
I wasn't trying to find the least Southern pictures. Go Google Austin Texas, or Austin Texas hills. Who are you trying to fool here? If anything if one tries to find the MOST Southern looking pics of Austin, one would have to look even HARDER than someone trying to find the LEST Southern looking. The very fact that you had to find EAST Austin proves my point. I just took ANY photo of hills and country side in Central Texas. Who are you fooling here? None of it looks Southern. I lived in Austin for 8yrs my friend, I should know. And I now live IN the Southeastern US. No offense, but don't try to fool me or anyone here.
Polo, I am really not sure what the point of photos of landscapes are anyway. I have said all along that west Texas has very little topographical similarities to the rest of the South. But historically and culturally it is very connected (and we've talked about the reasons and particulars like settlement, speech, religion, political voting patterns, etc) at least when compared to the true interior Southwest (New Mexico, Arizona, trans-pecos).

But at the same time, one will find more physical similarities in many areas between say, Kentucky and Ohio, or Virginia and Pennsylvania than with areas of the Deep South. That doesn't mean either of the former are in the same historical/cultural region as either of the latter. Of course, evironment does affect culture and lifestyle to some degree, sure. Which is why most of the western parts of Texas is for sure different in lots of ways from the southeast. But it is still bonded to the larger South as historically defined than to any other region. I know this label has been worn to a frazzle, but this area (along with large parts of Oklahoma) is best described as a unique sub-region -- western South.

Old 07-07-2010, 05:13 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,603,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post

As for East Fort Worth, just because an area is predominantly African-American does not make it Southern. Otherwise, Detroit and Southside Chicago would be Southern.
The difference is though, LA, that Detroit and Southside Chicago are not located in states which have historically been considered part of the American South. Along with that is that most of the black population in those areas stemmed from the Great Migration from Southern states (including Texas). Whereas the black population in most large Texas cities (including Ft. Worth) were long established dating back to the era after the War Between the States when anglo and black settlers from the southeast came west. In fact, even prior to it. Although Ft. Worth didn't really "boom" until after the War, it was still a town where the general rule of existence was the same type black/white duality that was/is characteristic of Southern history and culture. There is quite a bit of difference.

Last edited by TexasReb; 07-07-2010 at 06:13 PM..

Old 07-07-2010, 05:26 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times
They look nothing like Austin, Miami looks, like Miami, and those areas of Louisiana you just showed look like areas of Houston.

Old 07-07-2010, 05:28 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,484,556 times
Quote:
They look nothing like Austin, Miami looks, like Miami, and those areas of Louisiana you just showed look like areas of Houston.
I never said they looked like Austin.. I asked did they look "southern".

What about these?
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=3...230.79,,0,7.94
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=2...198.29,,0,6.83

Old 07-07-2010, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
and that's the same as saying that all of austin looks like mississippi?

i don't know. but hey, in case east austin wasn't doing it for you, how about killeen, texas....WEST of austin by the way:
South 10th Street, Killeen, TX - Google Maps
It's not like ALL of Texas West of Austin is devoid of trees, ok you showed me a small area of a smaller city that is a good 45mins to an hour, SLIGHTLY, SLIGHTLY, SLIGHTLY Northwest of Austin(not exactly WEST of Austin in the same since as San Angelo, or Llano, or something like that), so what does this prove? I've been showing you multiple areas of Austin AND the surrounding area, not 1 or 2 blocks. I don't see why it's so hard for everyone to understand that MOST of Austin and CenTex doesn't resemble the Southeastern US, and is not heavily wooded?

Old 07-07-2010, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
I never said they looked like Austin.. I asked did they look "southern".

What about these?
Google Maps
Google Maps
They do look Southern, but I ain't gonna lie, the 2nd photo you just posted of New Orleans looks like it could be somewhere in a less dense South Central Los Angeles.

Old 07-07-2010, 05:39 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,484,556 times
Quote:
I don't see why it's so hard for everyone to understand that MOST of Austin and CenTex doesn't resemble the Southeastern US, and is not heavily wooded?
Nobody is saying that though. Are they? I mean I didn't get that from it. I just see it like part of Austin looks like It could be in AL somewhere. Once I got south of the lake (Lady Bird?) it looked completely different though.

Old 07-07-2010, 05:39 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,041,021 times
It's common knowledge that people refer to Dallas as the last point in the east, and Fort Worth as the start of the west.

Old 07-07-2010, 05:49 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,739,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
It's common knowledge that people refer to Dallas as the last point in the east, and Fort Worth as the start of the west.
Thats what I thought. It drives me nuts when people point to a cities black population as evidence that its Southern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City