Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 12:54 PM

269 posts, read 667,451 times

Advertisements

I am a artist/writer and am looking for some more of a peaceful place where I can be free to create but also inspired. A cool city/town with a nice vibe. I have been to both cities multiple times. LA has the beach and nice weather, bad traffic. Nashville is in the south and seems to come with good and bad things (like everywhere) but seems like a creative city with very friendly people. I have work I can do in either city. I am in Dallas now and I have to get out of here! It was 105 degrees at around noon today! I get light headed and by body kind of goes into shock. I am ok with 80s & low 90s but man! There are some nice people here but overall it's not for me. I have considered smaller Santa Barbara, CA but that is pricey. I have also considered Asheville, NC. I like some of the beaches in FL and they are very peaceful for writers/artists but not the oil spill... I would really like to be by the ocean because it is so peaceful. Suggestions and comments are much appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2010, 01:01 PM

oh and I someone posted this link form Gwyneth Paltrow's blog. I guess she lived in Nashville for a few months. She gives fun insight into some of the interesting spots....

GOOP Newsletter - GO

Part II
http://goop.com/newsletter/75/en/

Old 06-23-2010, 01:10 PM

13,791 posts, read 8,159,910 times
You'll encounter heat in Nashville also, just not to the degree that you find in Dallas. Nashville is a beautiful city with a nice vibe so you can't go wrong being creative.

Sure, LA has traffic, but if you want to be close to the beach then you won't be dealing with freeway traffic. And speaking of heat, or lack of it. It's just after 12 Noon here in the LA area and my windows are wide open with a cool breeze and sunny skies. Temp is 67 degrees at the beach at Santa Monica...70 here at my place four miles inland and I've yet to turn on the a/c this summer.

Old 06-23-2010, 01:13 PM

3,260 posts, read 8,769,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dundermifflin View Post
I am a artist/writer and am looking for some more of a peaceful place where I can be free to create but also inspired. A cool city/town with a nice vibe. I have been to both cities multiple times. LA has the beach and nice weather, bad traffic. Nashville is in the south and seems to come with good and bad things (like everywhere) but seems like a creative city with very friendly people. I have work I can do in either city. I am in Dallas now and I have to get out of here! It was 105 degrees at around noon today! I get light headed and by body kind of goes into shock. I am ok with 80s & low 90s but man! There are some nice people here but overall it's not for me. I have considered smaller Santa Barbara, CA but that is pricey. I have also considered Asheville, NC. I like some of the beaches in FL and they are very peaceful for writers/artists but not the oil spill... I would really like to be by the ocean because it is so peaceful. Suggestions and comments are much appreciated!!
It was not 105 degrees in Dallas, we only hit 100 degrees in Dallas 2 times.

Old 06-23-2010, 01:27 PM

1,868 posts, read 3,071,224 times
I love both cities. Nashville's cost of living is significantly lower than LA's but LA has near perfect weather and coastline. That's basically what it boils down to. Both cities are wonderful for creative people (I write music for a living myself).

Old 06-23-2010, 01:47 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,771,235 times
My preference is LA between the two, but Nashville is really pretty too.

The only thing to be cautious of is that LA is expensive. You dont really grasp it until you live there. Just make sure you will be in a position to support yourself. Most artists like to live in the Melrose, Central Hollywood, or on the Westside (Santa Monica, Venice, West Hollywood, Westwood). But if you have the means, do check LA out.

Im just getting used to the heat in Dallas myself. I have a high tolerance for it, so its not a big deal. The winters on the other hand....

Old 06-23-2010, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladarron View Post
It was not 105 degrees in Dallas, we only hit 100 degrees in Dallas 2 times.
Well where I was driving it said 105 but thanks for the great imput!

Old 06-23-2010, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 940 View Post
You'll encounter heat in Nashville also, just not to the degree that you find in Dallas. Nashville is a beautiful city with a nice vibe so you can't go wrong being creative.

Sure, LA has traffic, but if you want to be close to the beach then you won't be dealing with freeway traffic. And speaking of heat, or lack of it. It's just after 12 Noon here in the LA area and my windows are wide open with a cool breeze and sunny skies. Temp is 67 degrees at the beach at Santa Monica...70 here at my place four miles inland and I've yet to turn on the a/c this summer.
Sounds great! Enjoy it! Thanks for the comments too.

Old 06-23-2010, 02:09 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,889,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dundermifflin View Post
Well where I was driving it said 105 but thanks for the great imput!
Maybe it was LESS than 105, meaning 105 would be worse!

Old 06-23-2010, 02:12 PM

3,260 posts, read 8,769,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
Maybe it was LESS than 105, meaning 105 would be worse!
The humidity in Dallas was around 100-105 degrees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City