Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who does Philadelphia share more similarities with?
New York City 73 91.25%
Chicago 7 8.75%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 08:59 AM

389 posts, read 1,095,430 times

Advertisements

^ That didn't clarify your statement at all. Care to clarify?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2010, 09:54 AM

1,750 posts, read 3,389,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
Chicago is also twice the size of Philadelphia and a major global city. Chicago is also much more diverse and a much more active city. So, there are some major differences as well.

To be honest, I'm a little put off by some of the folks from Philly on this forum. I has no idea that the place could produce so many arrogant homers.
Hmmm...Having lived in Chicago 24.5 of my 27 years alive, I dont really agree with this. I wouldn't say Chicago is "much more diverse and much more acitve". Statistically it may be more diverse, but visually I don't see that much of a difference, and in terms of activity, I think an argument could be made that Philly is as "active" a city.

Old 11-29-2010, 10:09 AM

1,031 posts, read 2,708,177 times
Quote:
I'm not a big fan of Philadelphia.
So ur put off by the forumers on this site? Let me ask u this.. have u visited Philly?

Old 11-29-2010, 10:13 AM

1,031 posts, read 2,708,177 times
Quote:
Chicago is also twice the size of Philadelphia and a major global city. Chicago is also much more diverse and a much more active city. So, there are some major differences as well.

To be honest, I'm a little put off by some of the folks from Philly on this forum. I has no idea that the place could produce so many arrogant homers.
I just dont understand why everytime someone from Philadrlphia shows their love for the city ( which is always looked down upon) people have a problem with it. To me Philly homers are no different than homers from anywhere else. I am baffled.

Old 11-29-2010, 10:40 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,908,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by durf View Post
Mass23, Philadelphia and San Jose are identical in many ways. I've been to both recently. I've had discussions with many of my friends and colleagues from San Jose and Philly, and they concur. I will lay it out.

The pop: Philly is 1.4 million; San Jose is 1,001,9441.

Overshadowing cities: New York-Philly; San Francisco-San Jose

Downtowns: both are relatively slower paced and medium sized downtowns.

Old and New: Philly-old; San Jose-new

Signature Corporation: Philly-Comcast; San Jose-Cisco

People: both are fiesty and tough

The cleanliness: Phill-ugliest and dirtiest; San Jose-second cleanest city, according to
Reader's Digest

Clean and Smokestack industry: San Jose-clean tech; Philly-smokestack and old factories

You can see the parallels. They're so similar and alike, although there's some opposite things like type of industries and the cleanliness of the cities. If you look at various aeriel pictures above, you'll see the convention centers with highrises surrounding them. You can look at Google Earth. Believe you, me, I know what I'm talking about. Let's be realistic and face the fact that Philly is no way like New York and Chicago. No way, no how!
You're talking out of both sides of your mouth--you've just proven how dissimilar they really are..

Old 11-29-2010, 11:04 AM

1,092 posts, read 2,171,569 times
There are some opposites, but there are more similarities. They're both overshadowed and feeling low about their cities. They both don't have very big downtowns. They both have plus or minuses. They're similar in size. I can go on and on. However, with that said, I promise you that Philly is no way like New York, Chicago and SF. They're living in the fantasyland and dreamin'. Come on and let's get real here!

Old 11-29-2010, 12:38 PM

2,419 posts, read 4,720,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by durf View Post
There are some opposites, but there are more similarities. They're both overshadowed and feeling low about their cities. They both don't have very big downtowns. They both have plus or minuses. They're similar in size. I can go on and on. However, with that said, I promise you that Philly is no way like New York, Chicago and SF. They're living in the fantasyland and dreamin'. Come on and let's get real here!
Where are you getting this similar downtown thing from. Philly has the third largest(behind NYC and Chi) and third densest(behind NYC and SF) downtown residential population in the country.

San Jose is more similar to Philly's burbs, and even that is a stretch.

Being overshadowed by NYC is understandable considering its one of the biggest cities in the world.

Being overshadowed by SanFran means you were never that big to begin with.

San Jose is a Bay Area mega suburb. Arguably the largest suburb in the US.

Old 11-29-2010, 12:49 PM

2,419 posts, read 4,720,490 times
Chicago is in the middle of nowhere.

Philly is in the heart of the BosWash, thus surrounded by iconic places on all sides.

Its the definition of an East Coast city.

NYC= Theres nothing like it
Boston=The Northern terminus of the corridor, with a unique New England flair
DC/B'more= South meets mid-atlantic meets Northeast.
Philly= In the heart of it all, a balance between all the other I-95 cities, thus the quintessential East Coast city.

Old 11-29-2010, 01:32 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,343,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
Where are you getting this similar downtown thing from. Philly has the third largest(behind NYC and Chi) and third densest(behind NYC and SF) downtown residential population in the country.

San Jose is more similar to Philly's burbs, and even that is a stretch.

Being overshadowed by NYC is understandable considering its one of the biggest cities in the world.

Being overshadowed by SanFran means you were never that big to begin with.

San Jose is a Bay Area mega suburb. Arguably the largest suburb in the US.
You come off as poorly as durf, perhaps even moreso.

Old 11-29-2010, 01:40 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,568,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude91 View Post
Hmmm...Having lived in Chicago 24.5 of my 27 years alive, I dont really agree with this. I wouldn't say Chicago is "much more diverse and much more acitve". Statistically it may be more diverse, but visually I don't see that much of a difference, and in terms of activity, I think an argument could be made that Philly is as "active" a city.
I'd love to see some statistcs showing this. Otherwise I won't dignify this with an answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City