Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city would you choose based on these criteria?
Des Moines 10 17.86%
Milwaukee 46 82.14%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2022, 06:58 PM

27,169 posts, read 43,857,618 times

Advertisements

Both have a similar cost of living in terms of rent. Which would you choose if factoring walkability, food scene, relative safety if living downtown and being able to assimilate as a newcomer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2022, 11:36 PM

824 posts, read 711,480 times
Milwaukee, while there is definitely a lot more rougher areas in Milwaukee, it still blows Des Moines out of in terms of walkable, vibrant, interesting areas. While Des Moines has a couple of cute neighborhoods and has a surprisingly large immigrant population at 15% which might make it more friendly to newcomers in some aspects? Milwaukee overall just has a lot more people in walkable interesting areas while Des Moines only has that in bits and pieces. Also the lakefront is really nice in Milwaukee and being located next to a large body of water would be a big plus for most people.

Old 08-25-2022, 07:27 AM

1,351 posts, read 893,153 times
Des Moines isn't any less walkable than Milwaukee, but Milwaukee is a considerably larger city that offers pro sports and what not. It's food scene might actually be a little better (nothing wrong with Milwaukee food scene for that matter).

The roughest parts of Des Moines are smaller and nicer than the roughest parts of Milwaukee too.

Both are pretty great Midwestern cities, and I've found people welcoming and friendly in both.

Old 08-25-2022, 09:39 AM

33 posts, read 24,662 times
the fact that milwaukee is right on lake michigan and is in quick driving distance to chicago, madison, and wisconsin's great nature alone puts Milwaukee at top.

Old 08-25-2022, 09:41 AM

5,293 posts, read 6,054,135 times
This isn’t going to be a fair comparison for Des Moines here.

Old 08-25-2022, 10:51 AM

1,351 posts, read 893,153 times
Even if it doesn't affect day to day life that much, I think having pro sports puts a city into a different category than one that doesn't have it. Des Moines is more comparable to Madison than Milwaukee.

Old 08-25-2022, 03:51 PM

253 posts, read 122,224 times
I find this topic baffling. Many years ago I lived in Des Moines and more recently, I lived in Chicago and visited Milwaukee many times due to close proximity. The two cities, both great in their own ways, are just too different in terms of culture, legacy infrastructure, size, entertainment offerings, city center layout, geographical setting, etc . . . for me to compare/contrast them in any meaningful way - even with the suggested criteria. Sorry.

Old 08-25-2022, 04:04 PM

212 posts, read 230,044 times
Des Moines might be more open to newcomers. I think they are friendlier and generally happier. Some Milwaukee residents will turn cold and passive/aggressive when they find out you’re from Illinois, for instance

I’m thinking really hard for advantages of Des Moines but that’s all that comes to mind. Milwaukee takes the cake

Old 08-26-2022, 07:50 AM

10,055 posts, read 14,418,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
This isn’t going to be a fair comparison for Des Moines here.
That's what I was thinking.

Comparing a city of like 600k, with pro sports and a huge level of urbanity, vs one of 200k that is very modest in comparison, is not apples to apples.

Old 08-26-2022, 10:31 AM

212 posts, read 230,044 times
What these cities have in common is that they are the biggest cities in their states. They are the Meccas of their respective states’ culture. I didn’t know Des Moines had such a small population, so actually I think it’s impressive that Des Moines has the tallest building of the two, albeit with a smaller skyline. Des Moines is a crossroads sort of city, which can have a certain appeal, however, many like myself have only gone through Des Moines on the way to somewhere else
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City