Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which US City would be the Most Interesting/Well-Suited for the Summer Olympics? Post a Poll
New York City 11 6.83%
Chicago 38 23.60%
Seattle 14 8.70%
San Francisco 22 13.66%
Houston 11 6.83%
Dallas 10 6.21%
Miami 6 3.73%
Boston 11 6.83%
Minneapolis 13 8.07%
Other (Post in response) 25 15.53%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 11:10 AM

996 posts, read 1,896,043 times

Advertisements

Houston. Then either Miami or Dallas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2010, 11:21 AM

4,803 posts, read 10,169,020 times
San Diego.

Old 07-13-2010, 11:22 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
SF would be ideal.

But locals don't want the games. Ive seen 3 attempts now by various groups to get the games to SF and the bigges opposition by far is from local groups that do NOT want the Olympics in the Bay Area. LOL

Old 07-13-2010, 11:29 AM

84 posts, read 182,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmkcin View Post
Boston already started a bid for 2020:
GamesBids.com - Feasibility Studies For Boston 2020, Netherlands 2028 Summer Games

Imagine rowing on the Charles, sailing on Narragansett, basketball at the hall of fame, soccer at Harvard, baseball at Fenway, beach volleyball on the Cape.

What better way to show the world America, than hosting the world in the Birthplace of America.
Boston never actually entered the bid. It was just a hypothetical to think about the feasibility of hosting the Olympics.

Here are the cities that did bid for 2020:

Dallas
Detroit
Minneapolis/St. Paul
Tulsa

So two of our poll options actually bid. But the IOC said they didn't want the Olympics in the US for 2020, and so the USOC has basically given up for that year.

Old 07-13-2010, 11:43 AM

5,509 posts, read 11,870,451 times
Good!

Old 07-13-2010, 11:53 AM

4,775 posts, read 8,835,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
2020 is a waste of time. There won't be any Olympics in the Americas let alone 2020 that year. The USOC has already said they will not bid for the 2020 games. Might as well take your efforts to 2024.

Can't disagree with much of what O_O said. As far as Chicago. Please do not underrate how humid it gets by that lake in July and August. Minneapolis would be good. San Francisco IMO is the perfect Olympic city. The problem that Houston and Dallas have (including Miami to an extent) is that they would be identical to Atlanta and I don't believe the international community wants another Atlanta Olympics unless these cities improve on transportation 100 fold.

But if any Texas city would hold it, Houston would be best. But they need to wait a few decades.
Why would H-Town be best?...What major projects does Houston have going for it?...Geographically being on near the gulf coast gives Houston a advantage but what else? Houston has the facilities to host the Olympics for sure...Its gets oppressively hot in Houston in the summer also...The only Texas city I have seen that has tried to improve public transportation is Dallas. Hell my hometown Fort Worth just got approved for federal funds for a street car system. Dallas is light years ahead of Fort Worth and Houston in that regards. As much as I joke about Dallas not having substance it really is gaining a lot of traction with this DART expansion, street car system, Trinity River project, and uptown development. I see what Big D is trying to pull off and I think they will succeed. I personally think Houston would do a great job hosting it but at least Dallas is mproving its infrastructure.

Old 07-13-2010, 12:07 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,835,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overcooked_Oatmeal View Post
Not true, plenty of people have heard of Dallas. I guess for posters like you who've never really been outside of Texas, you wouldn't know that though.

Dallas would lose out based on several major factors that the OP pointed out:

The infrastructure is there. They have the facilities to host it. But the public transportation would have to improve (DART is decent, but there should be better transportation options to say, Cowboys Stadium)

However, on the other factors, Dallas would lose out. North Texas is one of the hottest regions outside of the Lower Mojave Desert during the summertime. The Olympics would have to be moved to a slightly later part of the year, sort of how Sydney had to do the same thing, since their seasons are the opposite from the northern hemisphere. While North Texans may be acclimated to the oppressive heat, many of them (on this board) can't seem to comprehend just how hot it can get there in the summertime. The way some of them talk, they act as if it doesn't get any hotter than San Diego in the summertime.

Interesting Natural Environment - Ha! There are some nice artificial lakes around the city which can host some sailing events (be sure to clean the lakes from the discarded engines, car batteries, beer cans, and used condoms!), but the bleak prairie landscape around Dallas leaves a lot to be desired. I'm pretty sure in order to combat this, ladarron or Lakewooder will come in here and show those tired ass pictures of White Rock Lake Park, or those pictures and articles about the "Great" Trinity Forest, which is a joke:

The Great Trinity Forest Ain't So Great - Page 1 - News - Dallas - Dallas Observer

Let's Go Camping in the Great Trinity Forest! After They Plant Trees. - Dallas News - Unfair Park

"The latter document's an interesting read this morning, as it plainly states right there on Page 5: "THE FOREST NEEDS OUR HELP!" Which is what Schutze said earlier this spring. But, why come? Well, first off: "Only about 60-70 large trees are scattered throughout the 6,000 acres"; the Great Trinity Forest (http://www.trinityrivercorridor.org/html/great_trinity_forest.html - broken link) is filled mostly with "small diameter, low quality trees that do not support wildlife or allow recreational activities."

Those make up a small part of a very large area, and are not truly representative of what much of DFW looks like. Maybe they can complete the Trinity River project by then. The Ft. Worth version looks to be way better than the Dallas version.

As for an "interesting city environment," most of Metroplex look like a gigantic, generic suburb outside of its small urban cores (or what passes for "urban" in Texas, since the Houston Inner Loop surpasses either of them, but that's not saying much. Didn't we go through this with the Atlanta Olympics already? At least they have hills, tall trees, and Stone Mountain as "eye candy" for B-Roll. Sure, there can be some great shots of the Reunion Tower or the Fort Worth Stockyards, but that's just about it.

Before I get jumped on by the usual suspects, let me add that I think that a city such as Phoenix or Dubai would be a lousy choice for the Olympics due to the climate factor.

NYC or SF would be great choices, but they have infrastructure and NIMBY issues out the wazoo.

Miami would be cool, but the climate factor (heat/humidity/potential hurricane) could kill it, and the infrastructure is sort of crappy down there.

It would be nice if Chicago, Minneapolis, or Boston could host it.

And on that note, the queen has spoken.
O_O those very things you speak of DFW is trying to improve...I will be first to say Dallas-Fort Worth still has a lot of growing up to do...As much as you pick on the city of Dallas even you have to admit Dallas made huge strives to improve infrastructure.

Old 07-13-2010, 05:18 PM

84 posts, read 182,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
O_O those very things you speak of DFW is trying to improve...I will be first to say Dallas-Fort Worth still has a lot of growing up to do...As much as you pick on the city of Dallas even you have to admit Dallas made huge strives to improve infrastructure.
That being said, how many years do you suppose will pass until Dallas will finally get up to enough speed to host the Olympics well?

Old 07-13-2010, 05:25 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,032,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
Why would H-Town be best?...What major projects does Houston have going for it?...Geographically being on near the gulf coast gives Houston a advantage but what else? Houston has the facilities to host the Olympics for sure...Its gets oppressively hot in Houston in the summer also...The only Texas city I have seen that has tried to improve public transportation is Dallas. Hell my hometown Fort Worth just got approved for federal funds for a street car system. Dallas is light years ahead of Fort Worth and Houston in that regards. As much as I joke about Dallas not having substance it really is gaining a lot of traction with this DART expansion, street car system, Trinity River project, and uptown development. I see what Big D is trying to pull off and I think they will succeed. I personally think Houston would do a great job hosting it but at least Dallas is mproving its infrastructure.
I don't want to nitpick here, Dallas is ahead of the game in public transit right now. But both cities final works scream tie to me.

The H has been expanding their rail line too, and not much of the inner city really matters since they've already got most of the attractive places in the city already and set to be linked by rail, which includes the airport.
Like why would people from Bangladesh come to the H for the Olympics and to ride the train to someones neighborhood? They would want to be where the action is, and most of it is already linked by train/will be expanded to be linked by train.

So to say in 2024 that Dallas is a better option because of Public Transportation is a bit of a stretch, well quite a deal of a stretch.
And the same with the statement "only Texas city to try to improve public transportation is Dallas" that's not true. DART > METRORail on service, but both will be leveled out when all their phases come to an end and completed.

I don't think Houston/Dallas should host the Olympics in the coming decade or two, because they still have a lot of things that they have to add to their infrastructure that can scream YES, WE BEAT OUT 40 OTHER AMERICAN CITIES FOR THIS, IT'S WORTH IT TO COME HERE!!!

That's why I'm saying Chicago & Boston, for cities that are ready made for this thing to happen. (right now) Dallas/Houston have a lot of things they need to make themselves more international tourist friendly like some of their other American counterparts. If you host the Olympics, it's very prestigious and your city has to reflect that you're ready of doing so. Bring it on Olympics. USA!

Old 07-13-2010, 05:32 PM

27,544 posts, read 28,630,498 times
Why not the capital of America - Washington, DC?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City