Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Dallas like an overgrown Oklahoma City?
Yes, it is just like Oklahoma City. 62 36.90%
No, it is nothing like that Oklahoma City 106 63.10%
Voters: 168. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 09:13 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,499,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
When you hear the typical "but the sunbelt is sprawled" argument, is that supposed to be offensive? Is everything outside the sunbelt one huge mega urban city and we just don't get it? lol
I honestly think people in these "urban" cities think we are jealous of their lifestyles or something. I really don't understand the sprawl comments that are meant to be hurtful or to put us in our place. Yes the urban footprint of most sunbelt cities sprawls, so what? I know I'd much rather get in my air conditioned car to go somewhere than to walk blocks to run errands in this heat. Also, AMERICA IS SPRAWLED. Every city has a dense center core with sprawl that goes outward. Anything built after WWII was built with the car in mind. Is the car the #1 form of transportation in our world in 2010? Yes it is. Is living in an urban area that is car friendly a bad thing? No. Are there growing transit options in most sunbelt cities for those who don't have a car? Of course. These "urban" cities in the north were designed for a late 19th, early 20th century world. Is that considered modern living? Absolutely not. Being in an urban area that allows for all means of travel is most convenient for todays busy lifestyle. Having this available, coupled with low cost of living creates a great quality of life and that is why the sunbelt is booming. So the derogatory sprawl comments are not offensive, it just makes people look silly when they throw them out there.
Truth spoken!

I know, at least in Oklahoma, we could care less what outsiders think about the so-called "sprawl" of our cities.

Old 07-21-2010, 10:02 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,759,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
Truth spoken!

I know, at least in Oklahoma, we could care less what outsiders think about the so-called "sprawl" of our cities.
As usual you are correct Bass&Catfish. Personally, I'd rather have a little sprawl, than be crammed on top of each other like a bunch of sardines. I enjoy my little neighborhood full of great big lots.

Old 07-21-2010, 11:51 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,499,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debzkidz View Post
As usual you are correct Bass&Catfish. Personally, I'd rather have a little sprawl, than be crammed on top of each other like a bunch of sardines. I enjoy my little neighborhood full of great big lots.
Yes Ma'am...in complete agreement.

Old 07-21-2010, 01:33 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,947,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Going from Dallas to Arlington, isnt much of a difference. From Arlington to Ft Worth is like going to a whole other place. Its hard to explain. If you are not from the DFW area it is probably hard to believe, but the two cities are totally different and thats what makes having them next to each other so great. When I go to Ft Worth its like going on vacation to completely different state.
This is so true. You can notice it going along I-20 or especially 183. It just "feels" different. Fort Worth doesn't even get as much rain as the Dallas side, I don't think, so the ground looks a little browner.

Old 07-21-2010, 01:53 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladarron View Post
It has a higher density because it is bigger.
No that's not why. They have a higher density because that's the way they decided to build their city. Not to mention there are geographic restrictions for both LA and SF. This is why they have greater density than NY and SF. It will come a time when DFW and Houston will stop sprawling and still grow.

Old 07-21-2010, 05:03 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,021,956 times
one thing I dont like about the San Antonio-Austin area is that there are Chilis,Lowes,Home Depots,Petcos,Targets, and Best Buy's,Ross's and Marshall's everywhere here, sprawling all the way from San Antonio to Austin, they sure love their new modern strip malls.

Old 07-21-2010, 05:08 PM

1,586 posts, read 6,756,597 times
Here are some major projects in OKC (MAPS 3 passed). Compare it to Ft. Worth. Many not listed...too lazy. OKC differs from FTD by having more historical neighborhoods that add a lot to the quality of life. I think OKC probably has more character.

oh ya....

Last edited by happytown; 07-21-2010 at 05:29 PM..

Old 07-21-2010, 05:45 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,891,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happytown View Post
Here are some major projects in OKC (MAPS 3 passed). Compare it to Ft. Worth. Many not listed...too lazy. OKC differs from FTD by having more historical neighborhoods that add a lot to the quality of life. I think OKC probably has more character.

Mmmm....

Fort Worthology

Fort Worth Streetcar

Trinity River Vision

The Stockyards

"Urban Villages"

W. 7th

Sundance Square

Cultural District

Museum Place

Texas Motor Speedway (http://www.texasmotorspeedway.com/Schedule/ - broken link), "The Great American Speedway"

Amon Carter Stadium Renovation

.... have fun.

Old 07-21-2010, 06:14 PM

1,586 posts, read 6,756,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Mmmm....

Fort Worthology

Fort Worth Streetcar

Trinity River Vision

The Stockyards

"Urban Villages"

W. 7th

Sundance Square

Cultural District

Museum Place

Texas Motor Speedway (http://www.texasmotorspeedway.com/Schedule/ - broken link), "The Great American Speedway"

Amon Carter Stadium Renovation

.... have fun.
nice list. thank you.i was just throwing out whats happening in okc-no need to be snippy. after looking it over.... ft. worth and okc are similar in future development but okc probably has the edge. okc also has more historical redevelopment going on. peace

Old 07-21-2010, 06:21 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,947,260 times
I agree. I believe Oklahoma City has the edge over Fort Worth, even if it's just a slight edge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City