Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Battle of the West Coast Cities
Vancouver 5 5.81%
Victoria 0 0%
Seattle 13 15.12%
Tacoma 0 0%
Olympia 0 0%
San Francisco 27 31.40%
Oakland 2 2.33%
Los Angeles 23 26.74%
Long Beach 1 1.16%
San Diego 14 16.28%
Other 1 1.16%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 01:42 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,878,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toughguy View Post
Larry Ellison vowed to put MS out of business, look how that turned out LOL....The NBA has a soft cap with a luxury tax, but that doesn't mean you can just buy a championship like in the MLB. Paul Allen also has nearly unlimited resources, and look how the Blazers have fared.
All true, however, the Warriors have an even more serious problem,and it's plagued them for years...

They don't know how to play defense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2010, 01:44 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,321,710 times
Quote:
Larry Ellison vowed to put MS out of business, look how that turned out LOL....The NBA has a soft cap with a luxury tax, but that doesn't mean you can just buy a championship like in the MLB. Paul Allen also has nearly unlimited resources, and look how the Blazers have fared.
The Lakers went $30M over the cap and won twice in a row.

Old 07-14-2010, 01:49 PM

1,989 posts, read 6,588,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
The Lakers went $30M over the cap and won twice in a row.
They also have a well coached team built the right way with veteran leadership and solid role players, and the best big man in the NBA. If you want an example from the other side of the platinum and ice-encrusted coin, look no further than the Knicks -they have been well over the cap for years, and have been a running joke for quite some time. In 2007, the Knicks had to pay 45 million (!!) in luxury tax, and went 33-49.

Mark Cuban is a Larry Ellison-esque personality, obviously emotionally invested in winning and willing to spend. The Mavs have been successful, but still no rings. I'm not trying to rain on your parade, just saying that having an uber-rich owner does not necessarily translate to success.

Last edited by toughguy; 07-14-2010 at 02:02 PM..

Old 07-14-2010, 03:47 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,321,710 times
Quote:
They also have a well coached team built the right way with veteran leadership and solid role players, and the best big man in the NBA.
Doesn't change the fact that Jackson, Gasol, Artest, Fisher, Odom, etc. were all established names before being amassed by Kupchak with Buss bucks.

Old 07-14-2010, 04:45 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,219,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
California is my favorite state out of all 50. So no.

San Francisco, well when you get robbed of your belongings in a "supposedly good area of downtown" and then experience the side of San Francisco that is not at all like what people describe then yeahhhh... (Imagine how you'd feel when someone breaks into your car, breaks the windows, steals your laptop, and everything else including the car radio...not the best of experiences- but no one magnifying the city will ever admit to things like that happening in SF) I don't hate it. I just don't like how over magnified it is as if it doesn't have any problems like other cities and how it does overshadow San Jose and other cities. It's not even the people that live in SF that magnify it, it's the clueless tourists that do...

I don't have an axe to grind with California (I don't think I've ever in my life said anything bad about LA/SD), you haven't seen many of my posts to even conclude that because I've been fair to San Francisco throughout, a hell lot more than I have been to an actual city that I do hate. (which I won't name)

And I'm not even living in the Midwest currently- and I normally don't. Chicago is just where I live for half the summer...

And that ladies & gentlemen summarizes why I prefer Southern California more. (no offense to anyone from SF- I like the city, just don't want to get robbed! JK- been there twice after that, but still hard to shake bad experiences off that easily)..
I know what you mean when you say that lots of people (usually transplants who don't really know the city that well, or tourists) have this strange view of SF, where they think nothing bad ever happens, or that if bad stuff does happen, it's few and far between and almost ALWAYS the fault of a non SF resident (as if there are no criminals living in SF).

It's funny how disconnected from reality people can be. Just last night, all of the following happened in San Francisco:

-a man was hit in the leg by a stray bullet in the Bayview, after two cars sped by with the occupants shooting at each other.
-a man was stabbed with a sword in SOMA
-2 people were stabbed in Ingleside
-a man was stabbed in the Western Addition
-a woman was robbed at gunpoint by two men in Hayes Valley
-a woman was robbed at gunpoint by two men in the Richmond District
-a man was robbed at gunpoint in the Bayview
-a man and woman were robbed at gunpoint by a group of men in the Financial District
-Another man was pistol whipped and robbed at gunpoint by two men (no location given)

Obviously that's just what made it into the news (some news that is. NONE of it was in the SF Chronicle of course, which often ignores SF crime stories unless it's highly sensational or someone gets killed. The Chronicle likes paying attention to Oakland crime much more than what happens in it's own backyard). The incidents span the city from good to bad neighborhoods. I blame the lack of knowledge about SF's bad side on stereotypes (oh, it's all gays, yuppies, billionaires and hippies!!), the Bay Area media's east Bay finger pointing and lack of consistent coverage of SF crime, and the fact that the SFPD has been chopping crime statistics down for years and years.

Old 07-14-2010, 06:57 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,153,596 times
To the statement about SF rooting for Boston instead, yeah that is weird, but for me my favorite team is the Chargers of course, but I watch other teams and when anyone plays the Oakland Raiders I root for the opposite team even if I'm not a fan. I just really hate the Raiders and their fans' attitudes.

Old 07-14-2010, 11:30 PM

635 posts, read 1,537,547 times
lol I love how my thread turns into a thread about sports .

Oh and San Diego FTW. I wouldn't mind a Valley City either. Quite frankly L.A. would still be the best without having to be large in population. Plus the competition between the Valley City and Los Angeles would be amazinggg, since they are both so heavily involved in the entertainment industry. I would love for it to be L.A. vs Valley City vs San Diego .

Old 07-14-2010, 11:58 PM

221 posts, read 796,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
Haha, I put the vote in LA's favor! There's no place like home! (especially if you grew up in this place).

Here's also why I voted for LA (keep in mind, its almost 11 PM)

In my area, its 77.2 degrees right now (I live in the San Fernando Valley). I just don't like the City of LA's government. Valley Independence FTW! I am a HUGE fan of warm summer nights (anywhere between 70-80 is perfect!)

When I lived in the Bay Area, the cold summer nights got to me. I hated how it SOMETIMES got hot during the day, but no matter where you were in the Bay Area, it got so cold at night. It almost feels like you're cheated out of warm summer nights, which I love!

I just went for a run right now. It was epic!
San Jose, which isnt the hottest part of the Bay Area, has very similar weather to LA:

San Jose, California (95101) Conditions & Forecast : Weather Underground

Old 07-15-2010, 12:31 AM

517 posts, read 1,315,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliguy19 View Post
To the statement about SF rooting for Boston instead, yeah that is weird, but for me my favorite team is the Chargers of course, but I watch other teams and when anyone plays the Oakland Raiders I root for the opposite team even if I'm not a fan. I just really hate the Raiders and their fans' attitudes.
Raider Nation Baby

YouTube - Raider Nation Movie

Old 07-15-2010, 12:48 AM

635 posts, read 1,537,547 times
Didn't the Raiders used to be really good?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City