Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What's the best hockey city in the US?
Denver, CO 11 4.35%
Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN 59 23.32%
Chicago, IL 19 7.51%
Detroit, MI 52 20.55%
Buffalo, NY 12 4.74%
Boston, MA 58 22.92%
Pittsburgh, PA 16 6.32%
Philadelphia, PA 13 5.14%
Other 13 5.14%
Voters: 253. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 08:42 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,872,410 times

Advertisements

So true!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2010, 04:31 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,322,791 times
Most spectators in the south, and the rest of the US for that matter, seem more interested in beer,pizza and waving to the tv cameras.
The arenas isn't even half filled when the game starts because they are standing in a food and many leave well before the game ends.
Is that what you call hockey culture?
I am sure any major city can fill a 5000 seat arena with hockey fans, but they can never fill one with 20000 hockey fans.

Old 07-16-2010, 08:43 AM

1,588 posts, read 4,060,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
Most spectators in the south, and the rest of the US for that matter, seem more interested in beer,pizza and waving to the tv cameras.
The arenas isn't even half filled when the game starts because they are standing in a food and many leave well before the game ends.
Is that what you call hockey culture?
I am sure any major city can fill a 5000 seat arena with hockey fans, but they can never fill one with 20000 hockey fans.
The same can be said about all major league sports.

Old 07-16-2010, 08:59 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,601,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Cann View Post
Minnesota is also home to 5 D1 Hockey teams - University of Minnesota, Minnesota State, University of Minnesota-Duluth, St. Cloud State University, Bemidji State University... not to mention University of North Dakota on the border. All of these teams are in the best and hardest colllege hockey conference - WCHA.
I'd like to point out that Michigan has SEVEN D1 Hockey teams.

WCHA:
Michigan Tech

CCHA:
Michigan
Michigan State
Western Michigan
Northern Michigan
Lake Superior State
Ferris State

That's all. Not saying we're a better hockey state. Just saying that you can't use "5 D1 hockey teams" as a bragging point anymore.

Old 07-16-2010, 09:04 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,041,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post

WCHA:
Michigan Tech

CCHA:
Michigan
Michigan State
Western Michigan
Northern Michigan
Lake Superior State
Ferris State

That's all. Not saying we're a better hockey state. Just saying that you can't use "5 D1 hockey teams" as a bragging point anymore.
And Michigan has twice the population as Minnesota so per capita, Minnesota exceeds Michigan's D1 representation.

Old 07-16-2010, 09:31 AM

161 posts, read 699,431 times
I'll concede that MN has a slight advantage as a state, but this whole discussion is suppose to be about the best hockey city, which I still believe to be Detroit. I don't buy the argument that the city needs the Wings, but the Wings don't need Detroit. Go up to Yzerman, Ozzie, or McCarty and get their opinions on that matter.

Plus, the press and out-pouring of support after Probert's recent passing was crazy. What other "hockey town" would have given a guy, who put up more penalty minutes than points, that type of goodbye? Maybe your right, maybe they should change the slogan to Hockeycity rather than Hockeytown, but either way, Detroit is America's Hockey Capital!

Old 07-16-2010, 09:32 AM

1,178 posts, read 2,705,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post

WCHA:
Michigan Tech

CCHA:
Michigan
Michigan State
Western Michigan
Northern Michigan
Lake Superior State
Ferris State

Old 07-16-2010, 09:33 AM

6,041 posts, read 11,468,650 times
Let me make another analogy. Saying hockey doesn't belong in the South is like saying golf doesn't belong in the North. Florida and Arizona have a lot of golf courses open year round. But even though golf courses close in the winter up North, that doesn't stop my brother and dad (in Massachusetts) from being passionate golfers. The best golfers will probably be found in Florida and Arizona where they can golf year round, just like the best hockey players will be found in Minnesota. But you can find both sports in the North and the Sunbelt.

Now replace "not being able to play golf in the winter" with "not being able to play hockey on a frozen pond" and it's the same concept.

Old 07-16-2010, 09:38 AM

5,509 posts, read 11,872,410 times
I agree! Yet Northerners are passionate about golf but Southerners aren't as passionate about hockey. Golf is definitely more mainstream, however.

Old 07-16-2010, 09:39 AM

52 posts, read 98,669 times
The problem is you can play golf outside for six-eight months out of the year in the north while you can't play hockey at all outside in the south. Sorry but that was a poor analogy.

Sure some Southern towns can fill up an NHL arena but that doesn't mean they're a hockey town. For all you people in Pennsylvania, Ohio, Texas, Georgia or wherever else, think how big football is. The stress and expectations that many southern towns put on their local high school football team is insane. That's what hockey is like up here in Minnesota. Sure the Red Wings are popular but hockey at the youth level is still behind football in Michigan just as Wolverine football is more popular than Wolverine hockey. I would say Gopher hockey>Gopher football.

Last edited by IAmNotFat; 07-16-2010 at 09:49 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City