Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which metro is more upscale?
Philadelphia 40 54.05%
Atlanta 34 45.95%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 01:30 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,993,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I disagree. When I was in college, Atlanta had just as many if not more "ghetto" areas than Philly. Bankhead? Ghetto. SWATS? Ghetto. Adamsville? Ghetto. East Lake? Ghetto. Over by Boulevard? Ghetto. Moreland Ave? Ghetto. West End? Ghetto. Auburn Avenue? Ghetto. Vine City? Ghetto. Techwood and Northside Drive? Yep, you guessed it, GHETTO!
"When you were in college" must have been a long time ago, because since then....

The projects on the street formerly known as Bankhead (Now Hollowell) area: Demolished and about to be redeveloped

Hollywood Courts: Gone and redeveloped with mixed income housing

Techwood: Demolished 15 years ago and redeveloped into this

Little Vietname, err, East Lake Meadows: Gone and redeveloped

http://www.housingfinance.com/ahf/articles/2004/January/VillageatEastLake.gif (broken link)

In fact, all of the housing projects are gone.

YouTube - WSB-TV reports on Atlanta Housing Authority

For sure, there are still dumpy areas of the city such as the Pittsburgh, English Ave, Cleveland Ave areas and etc just like every where else, but when your argument for "most of Atlanta is ghetto" (which by itself is ridiculous) is based on the myriad of housing projects it only shows how little you know now as all of the housing projects are gone.

Old 07-16-2010, 01:33 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,361,576 times
Quote:
So the Governor's Mansion is not off West Pace's Ferry Road and it's not closer to Northside Drive than it is to Peachtree Road? A simple yes or no to both questions will suffice.

So Ansley Park is not a posh neighborhood? Yes or no.

And Druid Hills is the City of Atlanta? You sure about that?

Druid Hills, Georgia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And for the record, any neighborhood that has a Magic Johnson theater is terrible.
Yes, the Governors Mansion is on West Paces Ferry - the heart of the estate district of Buckhead. You consider the Roswell-Peachtree split the heart, I don't.

Ansley IS posh, and has largely been that way throughout its history.

Druid Hills is largely in the City of Atlanta. Wiki? Really? I live here, I don't need wiki, I have eyes and know how to read a map.

The Magic Johnson theatre was an attempt to turn around a failing mall. Sorry you believe in abandonment when things go bad. I guess you'll be glad to know it didn't make it.

Next.

Old 07-16-2010, 01:34 PM

32,095 posts, read 34,696,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
"When you were in college" must have been a long time ago, because since then....

The projects on the street formerly known as Bankhead (Now Hollowell) area: Demolished and about to be redeveloped

Hollywood Courts: Gone and redeveloped with mixed income housing

Techwood: Demolished 15 years ago and redeveloped into this

Little Vietname, err, East Lake Meadows: Gone and redeveloped

In fact, all of the housing projects are gone.

YouTube - WSB-TV reports on Atlanta Housing Authority

For sure, there are still dumpy areas of the city such as the Pittsburgh, English Ave, Cleveland Ave areas and etc just like every where else, but when your argument for "most of Atlanta is ghetto" (which by itself is ridiculous) is based on the myriad of housing projects it only shows how little you know now as all of the housing projects are gone.
Actually, I am well aware that Harris Homes, University Homes, Bowen Homes, and the public housing off of Hamilton E. Holmes has all been eradicated. I used to live in the Villages at East Lake, and during the one year I lived there, a teenager was gunned down, my apartment was broken into three times, drug deals were commonly observed, and the neighbors above me were tied up and robbed at gunpoint. If that's not ghetto, I don't know what is. Appearance wise, the Villages at East Lake was really nice, but the people who remained behind were as ghetto as ever.

Old 07-16-2010, 01:37 PM

2,419 posts, read 4,722,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
I take back what I said in my previous post.

Why do you feel the need to go here?

You might want to address Camden, Chester and the "Great Northeast" if you want to go down this path.
The far Northeast is actually one of the better sections of the city.

Old 07-16-2010, 01:41 PM

1,885 posts, read 3,401,148 times
Quote:
I take back what I said in my previous post.

Why do you feel the need to go here?

You might want to address Camden, Chester and the "Great Northeast" if you want to go down this path.

Old 07-16-2010, 01:45 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,993,141 times
Quote:
Actually, I am well aware that Harris Homes, University Homes, Bowen Homes, and the public housing off of Hamilton E. Holmes has all been eradicated. I used to live in the Villages at East Lake, and during the one year I lived there, a teenager was gunned down, my apartment was broken into three times, drug deals were commonly observed, and the neighbors above me were tied up and robbed at gunpoint. If that's not ghetto, I don't know what is. Appearance wise, the Villages at East Lake was really nice, but the people who remained behind were as ghetto as ever.
Well at least we know why you look down on Atlanta so much.

No doubt there are still problems to be found in redeveloped areas, and they are hardly an example of upscale, but as bad as you think that was it pales in comparison to what it used to be like there. I had an aunt who used to live in Little Vietnam aka East Lake Meadows and saw the following things there:

-Car being stripped in less than 10 minutes. The only thing that was left was the chassis
-4 drive-bys
-Red Dog EVERY time I was there
-More crack heads than you could count
-A man being beaten within an inch of his life over a craps game

Pretty much, the worst place you can imagine. It's not perfect now, but I'm sure most people would trade the problems that exist there now than what it used to be.

YouTube - East Lake Meadows Zone 6 Little Vietnam

Old 07-16-2010, 01:58 PM

32,095 posts, read 34,696,690 times
Quote:
Yes, the Governors Mansion is on West Paces Ferry - the heart of the estate district of Buckhead. You consider the Roswell-Peachtree split the heart, I don't.

Ansley IS posh, and has largely been that way throughout its history.

Druid Hills is largely in the City of Atlanta. Wiki? Really? I live here, I don't need wiki, I have eyes and know how to read a map.

The Magic Johnson theatre was an attempt to turn around a failing mall. Sorry you believe in abandonment when things go bad. I guess you'll be glad to know it didn't make it.

Next.
Okay. I don't know anybody who considers the Governor's Mansion to be in the heart of Buckhead. But whatever. We'll just have to agree to disagree on that one.

That whole area around Emory is unincorporated Dekalb County. The Highlands is in Atlanta, but Druid Hills isn't. Even the neighborhood association has a Decatur address listed on its website.

Druid Hills Civic Association - Neighborhood Overview (http://www.druidhills.org/overview/index.htm - broken link)

I don't have any ill feelings towards Greenbriar. i don't know where that attitude is coming from. I just said it is ghetto and that's the truth. I wouldn't be angry if someone called North Philly ghetto. It is what it is.

Old 07-16-2010, 02:23 PM

2,757 posts, read 5,643,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
The ATL metro is country ghetto, and thats the worst kind of ghetto.
What part(s) of the metro would be "country ghetto" in your opinion?

Old 07-16-2010, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Summers View Post
What part(s) of the metro would be "country ghetto" in your opinion?
The ghetto parts. I used to live down south, and the ghettoness down there, while similar in many ways, has a different feel than Mid-Atlantic ghettos and the peasants that inhabit them.

Old 07-16-2010, 02:39 PM

DMV has a much more similar feel to ATL than Philly does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City