Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which metro is more upscale?
Philadelphia 40 54.05%
Atlanta 34 45.95%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 03:15 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,456,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Summers View Post
What part(s) of the metro would be "country ghetto" in your opinion?
Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
The ghetto parts.
That's...incredible.

Old 07-16-2010, 04:18 PM

139 posts, read 207,720 times
As a Brit living now in Santa Monica I was severely underimpressed with Atlanta. Major, Major letdown. How they got the Olympics is beyond me. Just didnt feel like Atlanta had any identity or character either. New to this board so I'm rather astonished that people think Atlanta has so many people supporting it.

Old 07-16-2010, 04:29 PM

2,757 posts, read 5,643,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest Of Deen View Post
As a Brit living now in Santa Monica I was severely underimpressed with Atlanta. Major, Major letdown. How they got the Olympics is beyond me. Just didnt feel like Atlanta had any identity or character either. New to this board so I'm rather astonished that people think Atlanta has so many people supporting it.
A city has to start somewhere, you know? You're from London so of course you would feel that way (I'd feel the same if I were from over there). ATL is young (no need for emphasis) compared to London.

Oh yeah, Killakoolaid, where are the country ghetto areas? I'm well aware that the ghetto is where the ghetto is at but can you be a little more specific?

Old 07-16-2010, 04:31 PM

1,885 posts, read 3,401,567 times
Quote:
Once again, how is that relavent to the topic and original posters question?
It's not, there's your answer!

Old 07-16-2010, 04:36 PM

Quote:
A city has to start somewhere, you know? You're from London so of course you would feel that way (I'd feel the same if I were from over there). ATL is young (no need for emphasis) compared to London.

Oh yeah, Killakoolaid, where are the country ghetto areas? I'm well aware that the ghetto is where the ghetto is at but can you be a little more specific?
Yeah but aren't most of the East Coast cities founded around the same time in American history? I know that St. Augustine Florida is a rare exception in the States, but usually the West Coast American cities are the new ones.

Old 07-16-2010, 04:41 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,484,556 times
Quote:
Yeah but aren't most of the East Coast cities founded around the same time in American history? I know that St. Augustine Florida is a rare exception in the States, but usually the West Coast American cities are the new ones.
No. It doesn't necessarily work that way. The newest cities are the ones that have grown explosively over the last 50 years. Cities like Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, Miami, Phoenix, Las Vegas. Only 2 of those listed are in the West. Also, what is your definition of glamorous?

Old 07-16-2010, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL_Aficionado View Post
Once again, how is that relavent to the topic and original posters question?
It's not, there's your answer!
Well I love historical trivia and other bits of silly information. Philadelphia has some great landmarks interwoven among the local history that you hear about as students growing up in Britain. Got to see places I had read about.

Old 07-16-2010, 04:53 PM

1,885 posts, read 3,401,567 times
Quote:
Well I love historical trivia and other bits of silly information. Philadelphia has some great landmarks interwoven among the local history that you hear about as students growing up in Britain. Got to see places I had read about.
I totally respect and share your fascination with Philly. I was the same way when I visited for the first time. It's beautiful, and steeped with character but certainly not as well-kept and maintained as the city of Atlanta, that's all I'm saying. The truth is the truth without being facetious.

Great to see we have some C-D'ers abroad!

Old 07-16-2010, 05:29 PM

2,757 posts, read 5,643,675 times
Quote:
I think that I should DM you the lengthy answer (regarding ATL/the capital of Georgia) because it's pretty long a would be off-topic for this thread. In my opinion, Savannah should have stayed the capital of Georgia. I don't think I'm crazy for thinking this but I believe that it would have been something like historic/established Savannah in the center, modern day metro Atlanta all around, and other stuff from the time periods in between everywhere else. In a perfect world, Georgia's major city would've been something like that.

Old 07-16-2010, 06:14 PM

725 posts, read 1,510,651 times
Quote:
I think that I should DM you the lengthy answer (regarding ATL/the capital of Georgia) because it's pretty long a would be off-topic for this thread. In my opinion, Savannah should have stayed the capital of Georgia. I don't think I'm crazy for thinking this but I believe that it would have been something like historic/established Savannah in the center, modern day metro Atlanta all around, and other stuff from the time periods in between everywhere else. In a perfect world, Georgia's major city would've been something like that.
Yeah I totally agree with that. The largest city shouldn't be the capital that is too much attention on one place... and in our case its negative attention since a lot of politicians in GA outside ATL have an us vs them mentality...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City